Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squat it like its hot!

Options
  • 02-02-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm female 29 and current weight is 140lbs over the past 2 years I've lost a considerable amount of weight 5 stone. Most of this was done through running and bootcamp the past 6 months I have started weight training but was getting frustrated with the programmes been given me by my local leisure centre. So 2 weeks ago I moved to a new gym it's ran by 2 people who use to compete so is a lot more suitable in helping me reach my goals previous gym had no squat rack ect they had some barbells but I am at the limit I can go with them and be able to lift it over my head safely so I felt I would not make any progress there. The way I look at it I've come this far with my weight loss I want the whole package I love the difference the past 6 months has made to my body and can't wait now with a new programme and trainer to see what the next 6 months bring! I am currently on a 3 day split here it is
    DAY 1
    Legs: step ups on a high bench 3 x 15 each leg
    Lunges 3 x 15 each leg
    Leg curls 30 kilo 3 x 15
    Leg extension 25 kilo 3 x 15
    Squats just using 20 kilo bar 3 x 20
    My trainer said I seem to build muscle very easily in my legs so higher reps to even myself out with my small top half

Shoulders:
    Dumbell shoulder press pyramid 12,10,8,6 reps heavy set 8 kilo dumbells
    Frontal raise: pyramid heavy set 6 kilos dumbells
    Side raise heavy set 6 kilos
    Standing row

Day 2
    Back biceps
    All pyramid 12,10,8,6
    Lateral pull down heavy set 30 kilos
    Seated row heavy set 34 kilos
    Bent over row heavy set 12 kilo dumbells
    Standing pull down row

Bicep curls heavy set 8 kilo dumbells isolation bicep curls light sets just bar heavy set bar and 5 kilos
    Hammer curls heavy set 10 kilo dumbells

Chest and triceps
    Chest: chest press machine heavy set 20 kilos
    Peck deck 10 kilos
    Chest press dumbells heavy set 10 kilo dumbells
    Dumbell flys heavy set 7.5 kilos

Tricep extension pull down heavy set 30 kilos
    Tricep kick back heavy set 7.5 kilo dumbell
    Overhead dumbell tricep heavy set 10 kilo
    Tricep dips 3 x 15 or failure

I start each session with a 15 min jog 9.5km. I also do one spin class and one kettlebell class and 2 jogs a week.

Any constructive critism or pointers greatly appreciated I train hard just want the results to go with it. My current body fat is 26% really want to lower that in the process

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Legs and shoulders
    Step ups 3 x 30
    Lunges 3 x 30
    Leg curl 3 x 15
    Leg extensions 3 x 15
    Squats 3 x 20

Frontal raise 12,10,8,6
    Side raise 12,10,8,6
    Shoulder press 12,10,8,6
    Upright roe 12,10,8,6

I swear every person in my gym decided to train legs tonight I've never seen so many people lunging at the same time wait for squat rack was not ideal I had to do my squats at the end after shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

elsy wrote: »

Any constructive critism or pointers greatly appreciated I train hard just want the results to go with it. My current body fat is 26% really want to lower that in the process

How do you feel about your program Elsy ? and in general, your food etc ? the program looks ok from the perspective of slimming your legs, and building muscle to burn fat ..

Remember tho, you wont out train a bad diet, so the bf% wont come down if your diet is not on the money ..

How do you feel about your program Elsy ? and in general, your food etc ? the program looks ok from the perspective of slimming your legs, and building muscle to burn fat ..

Remember tho, you wont out train a bad diet, so the bf% wont come down if your diet is not on the money ..

Diet is as follows:
    Breakfast scrambled eggs 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites with cottage cheese half portion of porridge 20 grams

Snack handful almonds

Lunch tuna, lettuce, peppers and onion with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar or 2 fish fillets and brown rice

Snack Greek yougart with a little 100% peanut butter or a homemade protein bar as per recipe on here

Dinner steak, chicken fillets and brussel sprouts or turnip

Maybe once a week a slice of low gi bread and once a week a cheat meal

I've been following this the past 4 weeks beforehand I was eating way too little calories only about 1000 a day and not enough protein and too many carbs. After a workout I have a protein shake my body is still getting use to the extra calories I'm now hitting about 1500 a day my trainer in the gym said it will take a few weeks for my body and metabolism to re kick in and adapt to the training and new diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Diet is as follows:
    Breakfast scrambled eggs 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites with cottage cheese half portion of porridge 20 grams

Snack handful almonds

Lunch tuna, lettuce, peppers and onion with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar or 2 fish fillets and brown rice

Snack Greek yougart with a little 100% peanut butter or a homemade protein bar as per recipe on here

Dinner steak, chicken fillets and brussel sprouts or turnip

Maybe once a week a slice of low gi bread and once a week a cheat meal

I've been following this the past 4 weeks beforehand I was eating way too little calories only about 1000 a day and not enough protein and too many carbs. After a workout I have a protein shake my body is still getting use to the extra calories I'm now hitting about 1500 a day my trainer in the gym said it will take a few weeks for my body and metabolism to re kick in and adapt to the training and new diet.

It's all prety decent. altho i've not worked out your macro's off it to hand, might be a little fat heavy, any idea what the macro's are yourself ?

Over all tho it#s on the money, and yes it take about 2 weeks or so for the old body to wake up and realise you're putting more food in , even i was on 1200 for a few months before i copped it when i started to do the math, my trainer said " let's get some wheat in you son" that didnt last very long, sweet potato's where it's at ;)

How do you feel about the training an diet tho ? or have you concerns due to not seeing result's ?

Yea I've been tracking my macro breakdown and its needs tweaking all right I with the fat I am aiming this week for 50 protein 30 carb and 20 fat. I am a whole lot happier with my training since I moved gym and I am someone who knows change takes time so I am not going to be someone who doesn't see results straight away and throws in the towel. I was previously been doing weights with no real structure the past 6 months before I moved gym and although scale not showing it everytime I train and look in the mirror and see definition especially my arms they are coming into a decent shape that I hadn't got 2 years ago motivates me to keep going. And seeing my strength improve also edges me on.

• Advertisement

Back and Biceps
    Lateral pull down 12,10,8,6 heavy set 36 kilos
    Seated row 12,10,8,6 heavy set 27 kilo
    Straight down pull down 12,10,8,6 heavy set 20 kilos
    Bent over row 12,10,8,6 heavy set 12.5 kilos

Bicep curls 12,10,8,6 heavy set 7.5 kilos DB
    Isolation bicep curl 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilos
    Hammer curls 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilo DB

Stomach crunches 20 x 3
    Bicycle crunches 20 x 3

15 min jog on treadmill

My legs are burning from yesterday's leg session but no pain no gain

Haven't trained the past 2 days I'm not well at all have vertigo hope to be back to myself in the next day or 2! Really hate missing training sessions it really puts me in bad form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Haven't trained the past 2 days I'm not well at all have vertigo hope to be back to myself in the next day or 2! Really hate missing training sessions it really puts me in bad form
    That's a good way to be!! Fair play to you. You're doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Well done on your weight loss to date, fantastic. Hope you feel better & get back to training soon, look fwd to following your progress.

First night back training since last Wednesday due to my vertigo just a spin class enjoyed it though. Back to it proper tomorrow

• Advertisement

AM - spin class

PM - 10 min warm up jog
    Chest and Triceps

Chest press machine 12,10,8,6 heavy set 20 kilo
    Peck deck 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilos
    Dumbell chest press 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilo DBS that's a new PB for me
    Chest flies 12,10,8,6 heavy set 7.5 kilo DBS

Tricep pull down 12,10,8,6 heavy set 27 kilos
    Tricep kick back 12,10,8,6 heavy set 7.5 kilo
    Tricep overhead 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilos DB
    Tricep dips 3 x 10

Felt great to be back proper training just hope my body gets back to normal soon barely ate for 3 days due to vertigo and gained 3lbs now I know it's my body holding on to water but its been very stubborn in letting it go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I know it can be very disheartening to see a gain, but you're definitely right, it's just the water retention.

20 min warm up jog with some sprints

Legs and Shoulders

Step ups 3 x 30
    Lunges 3 x 30
    Leg extension 20 kilos 3 x 15
    Leg curl 30 kilos 3 x 15
    Squats 20 kilos 3 x 20

Frontal raise 12,10,8,6 heavy set 5 kilos DBS
    Side raise 12,10,8,6 heavy set 5 kilos
    Shoulder press 12,10,8,6 heavy set 7.5 kilo DBS
    Upright row 12,10,8.6 heavy set 30 kilos

I got my bodyfat checked she uses a calipers and am very happy to say I am now at 24% bodyfat was great to see a drop especially as the scales not moving so at least I know I am loosing fat so I won't be so worried about the scales!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I got my bodyfat checked she uses a calipers and am very happy to say I am now at 24% bodyfat was great to see a drop especially as the scales not moving so at least I know I am loosing fat so I won't be so worried about the scales!

Nice!
    Here's a powerful article on dumping the scales you might like.
    http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Dotcomdolly thanks a million for the link it really opens your eyes.

Yesterday was a rest day

Today was cardio just a 40 minute run the past few weeks I've been neglecting my cardio so I'm making a big effort to get 4 sessions in my main priority will always be getting my 3 day split in but any other days I want to maintain some sort of cardio fitness

Warm up 20 mind jog on treadmill

Back and biceps
    Bicep curls 12,10,8,6 heavy set 7.5 kilo DBS
    Bicep curl isolation bar 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilos
    Hammer curls 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilo DBS

Lateral pull down 12,10,8,6 heavy set 34 kilo
    Straight down pull down 12,10,8,6 heavy set 14 kilo
    Seated roe 12,10,8,6 heavy set 34 kilo
    Bent over roe 12,10,8,6 heavy set 12.5 kilo DBS

Legs raised sit ups 3 x 20
    Bicycle sit ups 3 x 20

Good workout I upped my calories and I can really feel the difference

Do you mind me being nosy and asking what cals you've gone up to? I'm currently thinking of increasing and not sure where to go up to!

Do you mind me being nosy and asking what cals you've gone up to? I'm currently thinking of increasing and not sure where to go up to!

I've increased to 1600 / 1650 on training days previously bar one day a week I would have stuck religiously to 1200. I'm completely overhauling my diet at the moment with the help of my trainer she use to compete so she knows her stuff. I would have been scared of carbs but she said o need to be eating in order for my body to absorp the protein I'm also really trying to increase my protein too at the moment I'm hitting 150 grams a day but trying to bring it closer to 200 it's such a science this whole eat less move more is bull if only it was this easy. I'm nervous increasing them just I'm so long eating the lower calories even though its all good stuff I'm eating I feel like I'm pigging out but apparently it what I need to do so time will tell one thing that's for sure is the old way wasn't working anymore I haven't lost weight in months. What calorie wise are you eating if you don't mind me asking its so confusing!!!

I've increased to 1600 / 1650 on training days previously bar one day a week I would have stuck religiously to 1200. I'm completely overhauling my diet at the moment with the help of my trainer she use to compete so she knows her stuff. I would have been scared of carbs but she said o need to be eating in order for my body to absorp the protein I'm also really trying to increase my protein too at the moment I'm hitting 150 grams a day but trying to bring it closer to 200 it's such a science this whole eat less move more is bull if only it was this easy. I'm nervous increasing them just I'm so long eating the lower calories even though its all good stuff I'm eating I feel like I'm pigging out but apparently it what I need to do so time will tell one thing that's for sure is the old way wasn't working anymore I haven't lost weight in months. What calorie wise are you eating if you don't mind me asking its so confusing!!!

That could have been me writing that post!!!!

I went through about 1/2 years of eating v little- around the 1200 mark. Or eating badly 1/2 days and then eating only about 800-1000 cals to make up for it.

BAD idea.

It is so not just eat less move more! Which is very frustrating!

I upped to 1500 and adding in the weights training awhile ago with success too but I'm stuck again. I wear a HRM so I know how much I'm burning and on days of football it's about 600cals, days of weights/gym it's about 400-500 so I don't think the 1500 is cutting it. That said I'm only 5ft 4 so maybe it's enough! I've been posting about that today and advice is for me to up cals through healthy fats and protein.

It's head wrecking when you're putting in the work isn't it! I'd only like to lose maybe another 5-7 pounds but that's proving fecking hard!

It's so confusing!!!

Snap I'm 5 ft 4 and at max only have about 10 lbs too loose if even but for love nor money it ain't moving. I've been told it can take up to 6 weeks for your body to readjust so I'm hoping it will eventually kick in. Thank god for the weight training at least I am seeing changes from that if not on the scale. Keep me posted how your getting on readjusting your diet hopefully between the 2 of us we will crack it!

• Advertisement

Snap I'm 5 ft 4 and at max only have about 10 lbs too loose if even but for love nor money it ain't moving. I've been told it can take up to 6 weeks for your body to readjust so I'm hoping it will eventually kick in. Thank god for the weight training at least I am seeing changes from that if not on the scale. Keep me posted how your getting on readjusting your diet hopefully between the 2 of us we will crack it!

Definitely! Last ten pounds/weights buddies!!! :P

I'm going to up to 1550 this week and see how I go! Bit scared of gaining but I'll chance anything! Don't think I can actually eat more, my dinners are huge as it stands, but I'm going to use olive oil etc... to up the cals without upping the food!

Cardio today a 45 min run did this early so did it as fasted cardio.

Really happy with the past weeks training managed 4 cardio sessions 2 x spinning and 2 x running and my 3 day split so a good training week!

Nice early training session for me today love doing it early it sets you up for the day

10 min warm up jog

Chest and triceps

Chest press machine 12,10,8,6 heavy set 20 kilo
    Peck deck machine 12,10,8,6 heavy set 12.5 kilo
    Chest press with DBS 12,10,8,6 heavy set 8 kilo DBS
    Chest flies 12,10,8,6 heavy set 6 kilo DBS

Tricep kickbacks 12,10,8,6 heavy set 8 kilos
    Tricep extension 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilo DB
    Tricep pull down 12,10,8,6 heavy set 20 kilos
    Tricep dips 3 x 10

• Site Banned Posts: 4 armstodiefor

Hi everyone, I'm female 29 and current weight is 140lbs over the past 2 years I've lost a considerable amount of weight 5 stone. Most of this was done through running and bootcamp the past 6 months I have started weight training but was getting frustrated with the programmes been given me by my local leisure centre. So 2 weeks ago I moved to a new gym it's ran by 2 people who use to compete so is a lot more suitable in helping me reach my goals previous gym had no squat rack ect they had some barbells but I am at the limit I can go with them and be able to lift it over my head safely so I felt I would not make any progress there. The way I look at it I've come this far with my weight loss I want the whole package I love the difference the past 6 months has made to my body and can't wait now with a new programme and trainer to see what the next 6 months bring! I am currently on a 3 day split here it is
    DAY 1
    Legs: step ups on a high bench 3 x 15 each leg
    Lunges 3 x 15 each leg
    Leg curls 30 kilo 3 x 15
    Leg extension 25 kilo 3 x 15
    Squats just using 20 kilo bar 3 x 20
    My trainer said I seem to build muscle very easily in my legs so higher reps to even myself out with my small top half

Shoulders:
    Dumbell shoulder press pyramid 12,10,8,6 reps heavy set 8 kilo dumbells
    Frontal raise: pyramid heavy set 6 kilos dumbells
    Side raise heavy set 6 kilos
    Standing row

Day 2
    Back biceps
    All pyramid 12,10,8,6
    Lateral pull down heavy set 30 kilos
    Seated row heavy set 34 kilos
    Bent over row heavy set 12 kilo dumbells
    Standing pull down row

Bicep curls heavy set 8 kilo dumbells isolation bicep curls light sets just bar heavy set bar and 5 kilos
    Hammer curls heavy set 10 kilo dumbells

Chest and triceps
    Chest: chest press machine heavy set 20 kilos
    Peck deck 10 kilos
    Chest press dumbells heavy set 10 kilo dumbells
    Dumbell flys heavy set 7.5 kilos

Tricep extension pull down heavy set 30 kilos
    Tricep kick back heavy set 7.5 kilo dumbell
    Overhead dumbell tricep heavy set 10 kilo
    Tricep dips 3 x 15 or failure

I start each session with a 15 min jog 9.5km. I also do one spin class and one kettlebell class and 2 jogs a week.

ha you do more than my 22 year old mate whos on oral steroids but then again he hasnt got a clue hes the type that thinks high reps get you ripped :rolleyes:

either way keep up the good work

Cardio day 45 min run fasted another early session give me a bit of rest this evening for the beast that is legs days tomorrow!

Leg day done and dusted I always dread it but nothing like the feeling when you finish it's such a high intensity workout!

20 min warm up jog at 10k per hour

Legs and shoulders
    Bench step ups 3 x 30
    Lunges 3 x 30
    Leg extension 3 x 15 25 kilos
    Leg curls 3 x 15 30 kilos
    Squats 3 x 20 20 kilos

Frontal raise 12,10,8,6 heavy set 5 kilo DBS
    Side raise 12,10,8,6 heavy set 5 kilo DBS
    Shoulder press 12,10,8,6 heavy set 7.5 kilo DBS
    Upright row 12,10,8,6 heavy set 32 kilos

30 min treadmill run 5k

Back and Biceps
    Lateral pulldown 12,10,8,6 heavy set 36 kilos
    Straight row 12,10,8,6 heavy set 14 kilos
    Seated row 12,10,8,6 heavy set 36 kilos
    Bent over row 12,10,8,6 heavy set 12.5 kilo DBS

Bicep curls 12,10,8,6 heavy set 7.5 kilo DBS
    Isolation bicep curls 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilos
    Hammer curls 12,10,8,6 heavy set 10 kilo DBS

Good workout only another week of this programme and it will be time to change it up!

I've been training away but have been a bit busy to log the past week or so!

Yesterday
    5k run
    Biceps and back as per above routine

Today
    5k run
    Kettlebell class

Trying to up the cardio to help shed some if this bodyfat and I've decided I'm really going to give march my all with training and diet so fingers crossed with the results I always do try hard but I was getting lazy with the cardio and not doing as much as I should

15 min treadmill run

Chest and triceps
    Chest press machine
    Peck deck machine
    DB chest press 8 kilo DBS
    Chest flies 6 kilo dumbells
    ( all done in pyramid sets. 12,10,8,6)

Tricep extension
    Overhead tricep extension
    Tricep kickbacks
    Tricep dips
    ( all pyramid as above)

Not related but frustrating the hell out of me why do people have to get sly digs in. What's it to them if I like to train really gets up my nose!!!

• Advertisement

I've been training away just not logging them all. So I just started a new 6 week training programme it changes every week to keep the body guessing it consists of 2 different workouts done over 4 days

Workout 1
    Abs: abdominal crunch 3x25
    Lower back: back hyper extension 3x15
    Delts: behind neck press 3x10
    Upright row 3x10
    Quads: leg extension 3x15
    Hack squat 3x15
    Hamstrings: leg curl 3x15
    Calves: standing calf raises 3x25
    Seated calf raise with 25 kilo plate 3x25

Workout 2
    Abs: reverse crunch 3x25
    Chest: bench press 3x10
    Incline chest flyes 3x10
    Lats: behind neck pulldown 3x10
    Seated row 3x10
    Triceps: lying tricep extension 3x10
    Press down 3x10
    Biceps: standing barbell curl 3x10
    Preacher curl 3x10

All 4 sessions have a 30 mins on the exercise bike at the end and a warm up set at the start too

Advertisement