Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i be concerned??

• 02-02-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have 2 miniature Jack russells, They are 19 week old and we have them for the past 11 weeks. Both have had all thier shots, micro-chipping etc.. the vet told us to give them worming tablets every 2 weeks until they are 6 months old, this we have been doing..

However every time we give the tablets to them the same dog throws up every time, his brother has never had a problem taking the tablets.. i took him to the vet he gave him a liquid form and the dog again threw up when i got home... back to the vet again and i was given a liquid to give to the dog before and after worming, but again he threw up tonight...

sorry for the long read, but i do not know what to do.. and i hate the fact that i am giving my dog these tablets that make him sick, but the vet has no other advice to give... can anyone help??? or had a dog that this happened to??

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Advocate spot would cover the pups for both worms and fleas so might help as it is applied to the dogs skin rather then by mouth.

Are your puppies the same sex? if so you may have problems as they mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭skyline1515

Thank you i will try that,

Yes they are both male... First time having dogs.. both will be neutered when they are 6 months... What should i expect problem wise??

It is never recommened to get two puppies of the same age or litter mates at the same time for several different reasons.

They may bond better with each other rather then you, they may be insecure when separated from each other

They need time apart from each other to develop their own personalites. One may become overly reliant on the other. They should have plenty of separate walks so they develop confidence without the support of a littermate. Have you the time for this?

Puppies require a lot of training and it is much easier to train one at a time.

Dominance battles are very common in dogs the same age/breed and sex even if spayed or neutered. Just because they get on as puppies will not mean that they will get along as adults. These can be so bad that one needs to be rehomed.

To be honest a responsible breeder would never sell two puppies to one home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You sure it's every 2 weeks to worm them? It's usually every month from 2 months then every 3 months from 6 months. Every 2 weeks doesn't sound right??

andreac wrote: »
    You sure it's every 2 weeks to worm them? It's usually every month from 2 months then every 3 months from 6 months. Every 2 weeks doesn't sound right??

I started to think it weird also, but as i am a first time owner i followed my vets advice, now i seriously rethinking who my vet will be..

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    It is never recommened to get two puppies of the same age or litter mates at the same time for several different reasons.

They may bond better with each other rather then you, they may be insecure when separated from each other

They need time apart from each other to develop their own personalites. One may become overly reliant on the other. They should have plenty of separate walks so they develop confidence without the support of a littermate. Have you the time for this?

Puppies require a lot of training and it is much easier to train one at a time.

Dominance battles are very common in dogs the same age/breed and sex even if spayed or neutered. Just because they get on as puppies will not mean that they will get along as adults. These can be so bad that one needs to be rehomed.

To be honest a responsible breeder would never sell two puppies to one home.

Thank you for your advice, we bought them from a woman on done deal, got to see the parents etc, i did not know any of that.. They do alot of play fighting but now im worried it may get more dangerous... i have no problem taking them on walks alone, my bf can take one also....

is there anything else i can do so i don't have problems!! Thank you so much for you advice,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I started to think it weird also, but as i am a first time owner i followed my vets advice, now i seriously rethinking who my vet will be..

I would from the sounds of it. Im of no help to you Im afraid but one of mine gets very quiet and lazy when she gets her flea treatment. You can tell by her that she feels rotten for a few hours after but shes never gotten sick. I read about some dogs having this as a reaction to some of the chemicals in the worm and flea treatments but Ive yet to find a viable alternative unfortunately.

Another first time dog owner story for you. Mate of mine brought his little terrier mutt into a local vets to get his vaccinations and was told by the receptionist that mixed breed dogs dont need vaccinations! Unbelievable.

[QUOTE=**Vai**;
    Another first time dog owner story for you. Mate of mine brought his little terrier mutt into a local vets to get his vaccinations and was told by the receptionist that mixed breed dogs dont need vaccinations! Unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

Bloody hell.......That is madness...

I am concerned now, as this is the place they will be getting neutered :eek:

These dogs are like my babies and ill do anything to protect them no matter the cost, the other little guy just threw up now, so the vet better have drank his coffee by time i visit him ;)... some just dont have a clue :confused:

I'm not sure where you are based but maybe if you have friends or family with dogs. Ask them for a recommendation of which vet they take their dogs to and if they are happy with them.

The separate training/ walking is really just so each dog can gain some confidence.

You may never have any problems with your dogs fighting but being terriers also makes it more likely. I have terriers myself. Neutering can help but probably more by neutering the more submissive dog. Hopefully it will never amount to serious fighting. I did have a neutered male terrier here and he still fought and even then with the bitches when he was done.

The playing fighting they are doing now is normal for puppies and terrier puppies do play very rough.

Knine wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you are based but maybe if you have friends or family with dogs. Ask them for a recommendation of which vet they take their dogs to and if they are happy with them..

I am seriously looking into it now, im so angry here seeing my dogs getting sick and looking sad, and we are paying good money for thier care....

The separate training/ walking is really just so each dog can gain some confidence.

i will try this for sure

You may never have any problems with your dogs fighting but being terriers also makes it more likely. I have terriers myself. Neutering can help but probably more by neutering the more submissive dog. Hopefully it will never amount to serious fighting. I did have a neutered male terrier here and he still fought and even then with the bitches when he was done.

The playing fighting they are doing now is normal for puppies and terrier puppies do play very rough.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It depends on the product used.

Parazole for example can be used from two weeks of age, so it's given for three consecutive days every two weeks to twelve weeks of age. Thereafter the puppy is wormed every month to six months of age, and every three months thereafter.

That's according to BSAVA policy guidelines

OP Have you tried mixing it through his food? Parazole (the liquid wormer) is pretty tasteless. I usually mix it with some natural yoghurt or some mushed sardines in tomato sauce.

boomerang wrote: »
    It depends on the product used.

Parazole for example can be used from two weeks of age, so it's given for three consecutive days every two weeks to twelve weeks of age. Thereafter the puppy is wormed every month to six months of age, and every three months thereafter.

That's according to BSAVA policy guidelines

OP Have you tried mixing it through his food? Parazole (the liquid wormer) is pretty tasteless. I usually mix it with some natural yoghurt or some mushed sardines in tomato sauce.

There is no problem with them taking the tablets, it is about 4 hours later he gets sick n looks so sad, we have tried different products but he is still getting sick and the other guy is sick now also... i have decided to stop worming as there no signs that they have any, and its not fair to make them sick like this...

Im going back to have it out with the vet, and see what he has to say.. ill ring around a few more also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

It depends on the product as another poster said :) That and there is more and more resilient parasites and worms these days (same as with humans) so their eggs are more difficult to kill and need to be destroyed when they hatch now as they are becoming more resistant:)

OP, perhaps a "spot-on" treatment to the back of the neck is best. But when they are pups under 6 months they require to be applied more frequently too until they reach that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

My pup was also sick after tablets the pardzole liquid is the kindest on their stomachs!

I went to a pet store today and spoke to one of the assistants (who was amazing with the amount of knowledge and information she had for me) she suggested the drops on the back of the neck also.

She also asked what we were feeding the dog and i told her pedigree puppy wet food and nuts... she told me switch the food as it is not good for them as it is mostly water and other crap, She suggested boiled chicken, with rice and raw carrot which is better and purina dog nuts which are supposed to be better than the other ones( they are more expensive than the pedigree but if its better for them so be it) it should be kinder to the dogs stomach as we will know exactly what they are eating and not additives etc... so fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The person in the shop should not be advising you to feed a homecooked diet. They clearly don't have enough knowledge on the subject. Boiled chicken, rice and raw carrot is not a balanced diet for a dog, and what would be particularly worrisome in a puppy is the lack of bone in the diet, which means your growing pup won't be getting enough calcium.

She is right about the quality of Pedigree but Purina wouldn't be much better, TBH.

Bear in mind also that Advocate spot-on and Stronghold-spot on do not treat tapeworms.

Thank you for the info on the spot on treatment... if i do see signs that they may have worms i will treat them but not at the level the vet recommended...

TBH its such a mine field out there regarding dogs, im doing my best to make sure they have proper food, exercise and training, but some times ill hear stuff or read online things that make me think i am doing it wrong, im confused more and more lol...

Also just a quick question, is it okay to give the pups watered down skimmed milk??? I only give it once a week and they love it, more so on a cold morning... or am i doing them harm???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Thank you for the info on the spot on treatment... if i do see signs that they may have worms i will treat them but not at the level the vet recommended...

TBH its such a mine field out there regarding dogs, im doing my best to make sure they have proper food, exercise and training, but some times ill hear stuff or read online things that make me think i am doing it wrong, im confused more and more lol...

Also just a quick question, is it okay to give the pups watered down skimmed milk??? I only give it once a week and they love it, more so on a cold morning... or am i doing them harm???

UCD Veterinary Students have been told by their lecturers that it is not really recommended, people don't know this but a large percentage of cats and dogs are actually bovine lactose intolerant. It can cause diarrhoea and vomiting.

Online is both a great place to get information, but also a place to get all this information from people who have no idea what they are talking about, research everything you can from official sites as opposed to just message boards, though you can get some great advice from there too, just take a lot of some of the odder things with a pinch of salt.

I think they is a JR website do might will have a look on there, Thank you for all you great information... i just want to do it right, we took a year to decide to get a dog, and now we have them i want them to be healthy and happy

Advertisement