Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology as an extra subject?

• 02-02-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I'm really considering taking on biology as an extra subject. I'm in 5th year and I really regret choosing geography over biology. I looked at my friend's biology book and the whole course looks really interesting and I think I'd learn it easily having an interest in it. I'm willing to put in a lot of work. My current subjects are English (H), Math (O), Irish (O), Geography (H), Physics (H), French (H), Ag Science (H) and LCVP which is at common level. I don't put any effort into Irish and I usually get 80-100% in my Math exam so I'm not worried about the workload being too much for me. I still don't know what I want to do in college but I'm hoping for 500+ points so I have an option to do most of the courses that I want. I feel as if the two ordinary subjects are bringing me down points wise.

So yeah, I have a couple of questions.
    Would it be possible to cover the course before my LC next year? How would I go about taking it on as an extra subject, would I have to talk to my principal and the biology teacher in my school?

Thanks guys. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Joe95 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm really considering taking on biology as an extra subject. I'm in 5th year and I really regret choosing geography over biology. I looked at my friend's biology book and the whole course looks really interesting and I think I'd learn it easily having an interest in it. I'm willing to put in a lot of work. My current subjects are English (H), Math (O), Irish (O), Geography (H), Physics (H), French (H), Ag Science (H) and LCVP which is at common level. I don't put any effort into Irish and I usually get 80-100% in my Math exam so I'm not worried about the workload being too much for me. I still don't know what I want to do in college but I'm hoping for 500+ points so I have an option to do most of the courses that I want. I feel as if the two ordinary subjects are bringing me down points wise.

So yeah, I have a couple of questions.
    Would it be possible to cover the course before my LC next year? How would I go about taking it on as an extra subject, would I have to talk to my principal and the biology teacher in my school?

Thanks guys. :)
    I'd say you'd have to do the experiments as well and there is an experiment book that I think the teacher has to sign off saying that you have done them. Other than that it is a lovely subject and easy to do well of you are prepared to work hard but parts of it might get complicated without a teacher

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For SEC purposes, if you decide to take Biology as an additional subject, you need to tell the school's Exam Secretary round about January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I know people who have managed it in a year and have done well but i also know a few that did it in two years and failed , it is just as easy/hard as other subjects because it is relatively easy to understand most of it but there is so much to learn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Apocladagr0

I'd say it's a good decision.
    Of all the subjects I do, I think Biology would probably be the simplest to do without a teacher. Still difficult, but easier than the others because it is mainly memorization...You'll have to rely on good friends to get photocopies of notes though, as the text book isn't very concise.

I'd recommend having a huge catch up session this summer to learn the chapters you missed out on. You might as well use those 3 months :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

There's an ecology experiment/portfolio that you'd need to complete so I'd definitely talk to the biology teacher(s) in your school. You'd need to be going on that trip! There's also mandatory experiments that need to be done and written up. You'd need a teacher to verify that you've done both. They don't always get checked but if the department asks, you have to be able to show that you've done them so you could get caught out if you don't write them up.

The subject itself is doable. It's a very bulky subject but it's all easy stuff, very easy to learn if you're interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Leahxo

First things first, get 'Exam Skills' by Sue Honan for Geography - absolute life saver! :)

Now for Biology, it definitely is do able. The paper is somewhat predictable, too. I mean you have to do 4 Long questions out of 6, and DNA and Ecology (2 Q's) have been on the paper pretty much every year. Other popular topics are Respiration, Photosynthesis, Nervous System, Plant Reproduction - know these and you'll be flying!

You're doing 5 Honours and LCVP, though. Why not aim high and focus more-so on Geography and aim for a distinction in LCVP to use for points (70) instead of having to use one of your pass subjects? Biology can be time consuming, especially if you're aiming for a B3 or above. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Layzerman

Before you start doing it you should talk to one of the biology teachers in your school, they have to sign off to say you've done the experiments before the LC.

Doing it on your own wouldn't be too easy, but it wouldn't be the hardest either. Look at the exam papers before you rush into anything :p

Is it a possibility to change from geography to biology by any chance? You'll have missed a bit but you could catch up over summer. Ag Science would compliment it nicely so you wouldn't be in too bad of a position :p

Advertisement