Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless pricing

Options
  • 02-02-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of getting chateau Zag refurbished at the moment. The alarm system was down for a refit and we're getting around to that stage of the build now where we need to install the new one.

I had assumed that wired was really old-skool and nobody was doing them any more so I made no provision for wiring when we had all the electrics put in. I gather that this is not the case and people are still using wired solutions because they are much cheaper. Is this the case? It's hard to understand how someone coming in, chasing walls, drilling holes, running cables, etc . . . is going to be cheaper than them coming and and sticking wireless sensors on the windows. Is the wireless equipment really that much more expensive than wired that it would outweigh the extra labour cost of the wired solutions?

Assume for the moment I'm stuck with wireless since we're just after getting the walls plastered and finished and chasing them & drilling through the walls is not an option Mrs zag would be interested in hearing about. Unless I'm missing something the cost for a wireless install should be more or less the sum of the individual parts (sensors, panel, bell, etc . . .) plus a relatively small amount of labour for attaching them and programming up the panel. Whereas the cost for a wired one could vary significantly depending on the labour involved in getting all the cable back to the panel.

Is it possible to get a rough idea of how much I might expect to pay for a wireless solution comprising 12 window sensors, 3 contacts (external doors), 2 panels & 4 PIRs. I'm not trying to get the labour cost down to zero or anything and just get charged for the parts as I realise that labour is involved. I just want to get an idea of what the parts should actually come to. What are the sensors normally charged out at - €30/€50/€70/€90?

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

zagmund wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm in the middle of getting chateau Zag refurbished at the moment. The alarm system was down for a refit and we're getting around to that stage of the build now where we need to install the new one.

I had assumed that wired was really old-skool and nobody was doing them any more so I made no provision for wiring when we had all the electrics put in. I gather that this is not the case and people are still using wired solutions because they are much cheaper. Is this the case? It's hard to understand how someone coming in, chasing walls, drilling holes, running cables, etc . . . is going to be cheaper than them coming and and sticking wireless sensors on the windows. Is the wireless equipment really that much more expensive than wired that it would outweigh the extra labour cost of the wired solutions?

Assume for the moment I'm stuck with wireless since we're just after getting the walls plastered and finished and chasing them & drilling through the walls is not an option Mrs zag would be interested in hearing about. Unless I'm missing something the cost for a wireless install should be more or less the sum of the individual parts (sensors, panel, bell, etc . . .) plus a relatively small amount of labour for attaching them and programming up the panel. Whereas the cost for a wired one could vary significantly depending on the labour involved in getting all the cable back to the panel.

Is it possible to get a rough idea of how much I might expect to pay for a wireless solution comprising 12 window sensors, 3 contacts (external doors), 2 panels & 4 PIRs. I'm not trying to get the labour cost down to zero or anything and just get charged for the parts as I realise that labour is involved. I just want to get an idea of what the parts should actually come to. What are the sensors normally charged out at - €30/€50/€70/€90?

Thanks,

z

Your best bet is to contact a few of the suppliers here. Prices on systems can vary so shopping around would be the best advice to give. A wired system if all cables where in place would of being the better solution while getting the house refurbished. In saying that wire a wire free system will be as reliable.

Advertisement