Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communications options for panels

Options
  • 02-02-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

We live in an area with pretty poor 3G/GSM signal so we are unlikely to be able to use a fancy dialler which sends us a TXT when we are being broken into.

Does anyone know if there are diallers available which can use a landline to ring me and have a digitised voice (which I think the panels already have) say "The PIR in the kitchen has been activated"?

Or do the landlines only work with monitoring stations and some sort of digital communications? The documentation I've been looking at all seems to make the distinction that the landline will call a monitoring station, but the GSM is used to TXT the householder. Is this just the way the documentation is written or is there some technological reason for this distinction?

Also, since we have broadband and mobile phones on almost all the time, are there any 'diallers' which work over IP and which might for example make some app on my iPhone or android tell me there's a problem at the house?

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can get a dialler to send text if your landline is Eircom or Vodafone. You can get numerous diallers that can send a voice message. These will work from an phone line. At the moment monitoring over IP is only available via central stations AFAIK. You could get yourself a cheap DVR with an SMTP server & use an alarm output to trigger that to send you an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If you have broadband then get a pap2 or similar and connect a voice dialler to it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Also note you can't send an SMS to the 3 network from vodafone or eircom landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

zagmund wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are diallers available which can use a landline to ring me and have a digitised voice (which I think the panels already have) say "The PIR in the kitchen has been activated"?

The Hkc Securewave or Quantum control panel will do either text with Eircom or Vodafone and if you have a different service provider that gives an analog line like UPC you can set up the voice function to report zone names like you are looking for. It will also alert you of a second activation meaning if a window was activated then an internal PIR was activated you would be notified of both events either by text or the voice function.

Advertisement