Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can people come back from this?

Options
  • 03-02-2013 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I lost a cousin, 16 years, to SADS. The family is devastated. People keep saying to me the parents will never get over it, I hope they can, or at least work through it. It is so horrible, but what makes it more horrible is the thought that immediate family have their lives written off, as if there is no return from such devastating grief. Is it possible for parents to move on, not forget but be happy again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP, I've posted this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056814182 about losing my daughter and her mother years ago. I'm only 31 now and I can't say I'm totally over it at all, but you can come back from the horrible dark place you end up in.

The anniversary is coming up now soon and I'm definnitely getting more agitated and upset as the day comes up. It's not an easy thing and it does hurt. But you can definitely get better. Having people around for support and avoiding the pitfalls of drink, drugs etc are essential.

There's no real 'cure' for this sort of thing, and it is a very slow healing process. VERY slow. There's always a part of you that is missing and hurting, but it subsides.

I don't have any really good advice but I can only tell you I'm in a far, far better place these days than I was. I met others who had been through similar and they were all healing in their own way. Some of them show resiliance and strength that I can only describe as remarkable and inspiring.

Look it's horrible, it hurts your sould and it can break your heart on the best of days. But you can live a decent, fulfilled, happy life still. There is always hope, and with people like you caring about them, you never suffer alone!

Advertisement