Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Degree

Options
  • 03-02-2013 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi guys, just wondering what you think of a BA in English and Music, and what kind of things you can realistically go on to do with it afterwards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

For teaching, English is about the worst subject at present (too many teachers of English). Music sounds good but I don't know how good it would be for teaching. If you don't want to do teaching, then they'll help you get some job, particularly if you're passionate about, and good at, them. For starters, film scoring, proofreading, copywriting, and a variety of theatre, arts and music admin jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Depends one why you want to do English. If it is because you find you enjoy being creative, writing about it etc, then don't do it. It's all critical, theory and social aspects of it and its development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

Thanks. No, I don't plan on teaching English. I have just found myself with one semester to go and no idea what to do afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

narwhalthe wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering what you think of a BA in English and Music, and what kind of things you can realistically go on to do with it afterwards?

Well, if you do well, you've shown yourself to be competent in a wide range of areas and have honed a number of skills. However, none of these skills are technical so there is no single particular job that is open to you. I mean a BA is useful for advertising, teaching (as mentioned above), media, etc. where a wide knowledge base, critical thinking, advanced writing skills, etc. really lend themselves. I suppose having a dual-major in English and Music would particularly lend itself to media...

But I mean, jobs are pretty tough to get at the moment, and whilst a decent BA is helpful, you might need to upskill. You could think about pursuing further education I suppose. You could do this in your current fields (easier) or branch out (possibly more rewarding). There's also conversion courses, etc. You could always pursue research in either English or Music, but it's really, really unlikely that you will get any sort of funding for either at the moment. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Seanchai wrote: »
    For starters, film scoring, proofreading, copywriting, and a variety of theatre, arts and music admin jobs.

With all due respect these are areas that don't have many jobs going at the moment. Film in Ireland is a very niche and closed market. I know at least two people who are technically qualified to work in film and can't find work. And if they do its a few days here and there. If you want to work in media or film, your better off heading to LA. And its a very tough grind out there.

The theatre world in Ireland is fairly saturated. Most have a close knit team in house and anyone else brought in is on a contract basis. Nearly every show you see is run by about 10 permanent people in the theatre and the rest are contract crew.

OP you'll realistically need to upskill into something more specific unless you have a serious talent in one of the areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

Thanks for the replies!

I was looking at masters in marketing, among other ones. Will keep on thinking and looking.

I appreciate the wise words from all of you!

Advertisement