Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in without signing the lease

Options
  • 03-02-2013 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Someone I know (for a few years but not very well) has just moved out 6 months before her lease ended, now that I have the money to move out I said i'd take the room.
    They are renting from an agency and the house mates want me to move in without notifying the agency but they are still looking for me to give e200 to the one moving out to cover her deposit. (which in my opinion is a farce, if you leave you lose your deposit, its her own fault for leaving 6 months before the agreed time)

Are there any legal repercussion to moving in without signing the existing lease?
    As she has already moved out I would hope I could find out the correct information ASAP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are there any legal repercussion to moving in without signing the existing lease?
    You'll have to get your deposit by getting someone to replace you, as can't get the deposit from the landlord if you never gave them one. I'd wonder who'd you goto if any issues came up, and you needed to contact the landlord, since your name is not on the lease?

I'd say you should just move into a place properly, as this sort of arrangement seems to benefit them more than it benefits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Moved from Legal Discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheIrishKush

Thanks, I would have assumed this could be considered a legal matter because if I was living there without signing the lease and the agency found out, the other housemates could be in trouble along with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you give her your €200 and it turns out that there was damage that was caused to the place before you moved in, then you lose your deposit and she gets off scot free. While this kind of arrangement is common enough in certain situations (ie student accomodation) I think youd want to be out of your mind to get involved with it. Get the place looked over properly before she moves out, have the landlord sort any issues out of her deposit, and then you pay your own €200 starting from the day you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

This only suits her, when you want to move out you will need to convince someone else to give you €200

• Advertisement
Advertisement