Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suit, no tie

• 03-02-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've got a wedding next month, and was thinking of wearing a nice 3 piece with no tie. The last time I tried it, it was a 2 piece, and it just looked like I'd forgotten to bring a tie. Anyone got any tips for pulling this look off, or should I stick with the classic suit and tie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Might be better suited here, moved from TGC.
    Panthro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Personally I'd say for the ceremony at least, stick with a tie, especially for a 3 piece.

You always have the option then of taking off the tie later at the reception if it's really getting too stuffy for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

3 piece is too formal to wear without a tie. Two piece is fine, but will look best with a well cut suit and a well chosen shirt with a good collar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Tbh, just wear a tie, at least for the ceremony. Unless its an informal wedding, but you're better off starting overdressed- it's easier to dress down if you've got it a bit wrong than up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Doesn't matter if it's a two or three piece, it will look like you forgot your tie.

I would consider it a bit disrespectful also to not bother with a tie on the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Wear a tie. Infact if I was to advise I'd say drop the waistcoat. They are a bit out of fashion nowadays I think (unless you are actually part of the wedding party). A nice suit and tie minus the waistcoat would look a lot nicer in my opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Definitely wear a tie. Three piece looks silly without it IMO, see Brendan O'Connor for reference :p

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cathy427

just to go against the majority ...

I would go with bluefoam above;

If going no tie then essential thats its a really well cut suit and a comparable nicely fitted nice shirt. I think for men that are slim/very slim and do this then the no tie look can be really nice. Sometimes for really slim people a tie can look school boyish.

Went to a wedding with a guy that was way too thin (health issues) and got to say the no tie look really worked for him and brought out his "atractiveness"

For me - its no way disrespectfull to go to a wedding with no tie.
    Much worse to go with a tie half on.

Edit - again if no tie then wear a proper fitted shirt not one of those baggy "yokes" that most men stick on under a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Advertisement