Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sauerkraut

Options
  • 03-02-2013 11:24am
    Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

What's it like? I know you can get it here but i'm waiting until I visit Germany. What do you think of German cuisine in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I don't know a lot about it. I was there for only a few days, on two trips. I did have some sauerkraut with a meal, red and delicious. Like a warm glass of red wine.

The meats and bread second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sauerkraut is great, particularly with fatty cuts of meat & sausages. The pickling liqour helps with digestion. I've only ever had it made with white cabbage. Be sure to try it warm & cold. Both are great.

You should definitely try schweinehaxe (roasted or grilled pork hock). Offal is also done well in German cuisine - especially liver & tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I don't know a lot about it. I was there for only a few days, on two trips. I did have some sauerkraut with a meal, red and delicious. Like a warm glass of red wine.

The meats and bread second to none.

That wasn't Sauerkraut. Sounds like red cabbage (rotkohl/blaukraut) Sauerkraut is made from the pale green cabbage or Weißkraut as we call it.

I love Sauerkraut with bay leaf, juniper berries and caraway seeds. Best reheated and almost caramelised, the way you get it in country pubs :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mmm, sauerkraut is delicious. Lovely with a hot dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Warm sauerkraut with Pork and dumplings. Mmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Question, I was in the supermarket recently and picked up a jar of kuhne(brand name) Sauerkraut on a whim. What do I do with it, will I empty it into a saucepan and heat it as an accompaniment to meat or what else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Sauerkraut is great, particularly with fatty cuts of meat & sausages. The pickling liqour helps with digestion. I've only ever had it made with white cabbage. Be sure to try it warm & cold. Both are great.

You should definitely try schweinehaxe (roasted or grilled pork hock). Offal is also done well in German cuisine - especially liver & tongue.

If this is what I think it is then its unreal!

a big joint of pork with crisp crackling ammirite?

sauerkraut is nice too, just pickled cabbage with caraway seeds.

German food is pretty decent on the whole, its just not fancy like french food. so it gets a bad rep.

if you like beer and bbq you will love german food. the roasted pork hock (schweinehaxe) with a liter of beer, served with horseraddish and sauerkraut is a great meal. Try garlic noodle soup and currywurst too. Im drooling here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I wouldn't be mad about Sauerkraut albeit being German myself. Not much to it anyway. Basically it's pickled cabbage. Lidl has bags of it ATM.

As for German cuisine I think it's underrated big time. Especially down south Baden and Schwaben we have awesome stuff.
    Should suit an Irish taste for sure as its basically the same - meats spuds veg - just a tad more adventurous on the preparation front. We love our marinades elaborate spicing and sauces and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Hi OP. If you want to taste proper sauerkraut let me know. I will sent you some. Are you planning to go to Germany? If Yes where and i will get you some good German Restaurant suggestions.
    Cheers Oliver

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Question, I was in the supermarket recently and picked up a jar of kuhne(brand name) Sauerkraut on a whim. What do I do with it, will I empty it into a saucepan and heat it as an accompaniment to meat or what else?

Chop some onions/garlic and sweat them with butter in a saucepan. Chop your sauerkrat (it's unwieldy if it doesn't come chopped), throw it in. You may drain the liquid first if you find it too sour, add some water then. Bay leaf, a little black pepper maybe, a sprinkle of chilli/paprica. Being vegetarian I add some veg stock but you can add some meats or sausage for the flavours to melt. Cook until softish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

. Try garlic noodle soup and currywurst too. Im drooling here!

This !! This alone is IMO, worth going to Germany for. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Kat1170 wrote: »
    This !! This alone is IMO, worth going to Germany for. :)

Is the ketchup overbearing in the currywurst? I don't like ketchup but I must try currywurst. Loads of curry sauce? No problem. Spicy? Good! Ketchup? Not a fan but I want the real deal so I'll grin and bear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

When I had it, it was just curry sauce and sausage but the sum of the parts added up to so much more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Is the ketchup overbearing in the currywurst? I don't like ketchup but I must try currywurst. Loads of curry sauce? No problem. Spicy? Good! Ketchup? Not a fan but I want the real deal so I'll grin and bear it.

Currywurst sauce is a different type of ketchup. Its not 'heinz ketchup' mixed with curry powder if that's what you are thinking.

It a thick sauce similar in consistency to ketchup with a mild curry taste. Apart from the fact they come in a squeezy bottle ketchup and currywurst sauce have no other similarities. You can probably get some in lidl or aldi. It where we used to get it when we lived in Germany. It has never crossed my mind to look in Ireland. If I see it there ill let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Currywurst sauce is a different type of ketchup. Its not 'heinz ketchup' mixed with curry powder if that's what you are thinking.

It a thick sauce similar in consistency to ketchup with a mild curry taste. Apart from the fact they come in a squeezy bottle ketchup and currywurst sauce have no other similarities. You can probably get some in lidl or aldi. It where we used to get it when we lived in Germany. It has never crossed my mind to look in Ireland. If I see it there ill let you know.

Despite a very distinct flavour the curry sauce is normally based on tomato ketchup, and if not actual ketchup is used, it's at least tomato paste and vinegar, basically the main ingredients of ketchup...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Boskowski wrote: »
    I wouldn't be mad about Sauerkraut albeit being German myself. Not much to it anyway. Basically it's pickled cabbage. Lidl has bags of it ATM.

As for German cuisine I think it's underrated big time. Especially down south Baden and Schwaben we have awesome stuff.
    Should suit an Irish taste for sure as its basically the same - meats spuds veg - just a tad more adventurous on the preparation front. We love our marinades elaborate spicing and sauces and such.

Anyone know if the stuff they have in lidl or tesco is pasteurised or unpasteurised? Apparently from what I've read pasteurising it kills all the usefull bacteria in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Best to check the labeling yourself to make sure.

Advertisement