Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O' Donnells vs Keoghs crisps

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SubCulchie

hardCopy wrote: »
    Without having a packet in front of me to check, some manufacturers use yeast extract instead of MSG. Yeast Extract contains natural MSG and is often used to get around listing MSG/E621 on packets.

Yeah, because the glutamate content of yeast extract is less than 78%, it doesn't have to be labelled as MSG. However, explicitly claiming 'MSG free' is a bit of a cod!

Technically, it contains no MSG but does contain Glutamates.

Regardless of whether or not the stuff is bad for you, using it is a cheap trick and if they were confident enough in the flavour of their crisps they wouldn't use addictive enhancers like yeast extract (natural or not)!

Anway, D.P. Connolly is my new man for Crisps!
    Had the sea salt, malt vinegar the other day and they are spot on.
    Better than Keogh's, and O'Donnell's I reckon.. and minus the crap!
    Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

SubCulchie wrote: »
    Yeah, because the glutamate content of yeast extract is less than 78%, it doesn't have to be labelled as MSG. However, explicitly claiming 'MSG free' is a bit of a cod!

Technically, it contains no MSG but does contain Glutamates.

Regardless of whether or not the stuff is bad for you, using it is a cheap trick and if they were confident enough in the flavour of their crisps they wouldn't use addictive enhancers like yeast extract (natural or not)!

Tomatoes, some cheese, soy sauce, some sea weeds all contain natural glutamate. Should they be labelled as containing MSG?

Yeast extract = Marmite = tasty goodness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SubCulchie

Tomatoes, some cheese, soy sauce, some sea weeds all contain natural glutamate. Should they be labelled as containing MSG?

Yeast extract = Marmite = tasty goodness!!

Ha, you're entitled to your opinions on Marmite! That's for another thread..

To answer your question: In some cases, probably yes. In other cases, obviously not..

For instance, Milk contains 2mg/100g of free glutamate, while eggs contain 23mg/100g.
    Marmite contains 1960mg/100g and Soy Sauce contains about 900mg/100g.

That's quite a variance. Obviously negligible levels of what is, after all, an amino acid, don't have a sufficient impact on the food to warrant labelling.
    However, in the cases of foods like Soy Sauce, Parmesan and your beloved Marmite, something like 'contains high levels of free glutamate' would be fair, I reckon.

Again, we're not talking about MSG, just free glutamate. (Roughly MSG minus Sodium)
    But I think it's misleading to label something as 'natural falvouring' just because it lacks the sodium element. As if only the salt mkes it addictive.

Of course, how do we define natural? Take the extreme example of the numerous poisonous funghi - all naturally occurring, but they will hurt you!

I would apply the same model to labelling foods containing unhealthily high levels of sugar, certain fats, salt, etc. All of which are harmful, even toxic in excess. However, because of existing awareness, it's a different story.

The common sense we generally exercise with regard to consuming high levels of these foods doesn't yet apply the likes of l-glutamate, free glutamate, and for that reason, I think it's necessary to inform people so as they can decide what they're putting into themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

keoghs%20roast%20turkey%20and%20secret%20stuffing%20200.jpg

Tried the new Keogh's Roast Turkey & Secret Stuffing and they are pretty tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Passenger wrote: »
    keoghs%20roast%20turkey%20and%20secret%20stuffing%20200.jpg

Tried the new Keogh's Roast Turkey & Secret Stuffing and they are pretty tasty.

Can we not just close this thread at this point- Keogh's obviously win hands down- and such a festive way to end a thread too:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Had Keogh's Sweet Chili with Irish Red Pepper (gluten free, no MSG). Loved the taste, really hit the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Keogh's roast beef and Irish stout flavour are gorgeous. Some of the best crisps I've ever had. O'Donnell's are ok but nowhere in the same league as Keogh's personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That_Guy wrote: »
    Keogh's roast beef and Irish stout flavour are gorgeous. Some of the best crisps I've ever had. O'Donnell's are ok but nowhere in the same league as Keogh's personally.

I also like the fact that the went with a micro stout (dungarvan) rather than the non Irish owned guinness.
    On a side note, anyone try the Burt's guinness crisps? Effing horrible they are. I challenge I to finish a bag.

I also like the fact that the went with a micro stout (dungarvan) rather than the non Irish owned guinness.
    On a side note, anyone try the Burt's guinness crisps? Effing horrible they are. I challenge I to finish a bag.

Well on your review alone, I never will:P

575878_170728443082710_2141086105_n.jpg

Just had a bag of Bill & Mick's Irish Cider Vinegar & Sea Salt crisps and they were pretty tasty. A good quality crisp for sure with good consistency throughout the bag. Will definitely try the other flavours.

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »

Just had a bag of Bill & Mick's Irish Cider Vinegar & Sea Salt crisps and they were pretty tasty. A good quality crisp for sure with good consistency throughout the bag. Will definitely try the other flavours.

Yea they're not bad at all but I still think Keoghs pips them at the post

Yea they're not bad at all but I still think Keoghs pips them at the post

I concur. :) Keogh's have perfected the crisp IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

A very nice colleague just shared his bag of keogh's Turkey and Stuffing crisps with us. Very nce indeed I have to say. Will be buying some myself if I can find them in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FionnOh

pwurple wrote: »
    A very nice colleague just shared his bag of keogh's Turkey and Stuffing crisps with us. Very nce indeed I have to say. Will be buying some myself if I can find them in a shop.

They've out-manouvered O'Donnell's on the new flavour front. Although I have to say the bag of jalapeno & sour cream I'm destroying here are quite the munch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That_Guy wrote: »

That flavour is divine. Just having a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had a packet of O' Donnells mature cheddar crisps yesterday - omg they were divine!

I'm told you can buy 6 packs of these crisps in Tesco - has anyone got them? Must get some for over the Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I like both brands, but i may have a new favourite... DP Connolly & Sons crisps! Anyone had these? They are divine. The only place I've seen them is a corner shop here in Co. waterford, but they are made in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

Love o'donnells cheese and onion, but noticed a change in the last week or so, not as tasty! Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

Love o'donnells cheese and onion, but noticed a change in the last week or so, not as tasty! Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
    O'Donnell's have gone down hill, currently hitting a bag of Keoghs cheese and onion, still as good as ever, fecking things are addictive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Safe to say that both are god-like in their taste

• Advertisement
Advertisement