Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Sixmilebridge like?

• 03-02-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭

Myself and my partner are currently living in Limerick. Come September - I will have to be in Galway for a course 2 days a week and my partner works in Limerick. We had been considering moving somewhere where rent was considerably cheaper than what we are paying now and for this and for location sixmilebridge ticks the box. Whats it like to live in? Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

closifer wrote: »
    Myself and my partner are currently living in Limerick. Come September - I will have to be in Galway for a course 2 days a week and my partner works in Limerick. We had been considering moving somewhere where rent was considerably cheaper than what we are paying now and for this and for location sixmilebridge ticks the box. Whats it like to live in? Any opinions?

It's a really nice village. Lovely place in the summer. Has everything you need; pubs, shops, credit union, good GAA team and a train station serving Galway and Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Thats reassuring. Thanks a million! I was hoping I would hear good things! Any idea how much the train is to Limerick and Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Be advised though that some undesirables have moved into the village as part of the limerick regeneration project so be careful who you move in beside! There also exists a few local hoods who are known to loiter and vandalise but they will be fairly obvious to you once you move there. Otherwise it is a nice village with good amenities and close to limerick, Shannon and ennis.

Thats reassuring. Thanks a million! I was hoping I would hear good things! Any idea how much the train is to Limerick and Galway?

The train to Limerick is €150 a month which (if you travel 5 days a week) works out at around €7 a day return.
    If you claim taxsaver through your employer you can get it for €5 a day return.

The train to Limerick is €150 a month which (if you travel 5 days a week) works out at around €7 a day return.
    If you claim taxsaver through your employer you can get it for €5 a day return.

Galway would prob be a bit more and the service to Galway isn't very suitable for commuters regarding times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

i live three miles outside the bridge for the last 30 years,its a kip,a small minded gaa /B]Mod snip[/Btown.You have to be born in sum of the bars down there to feel welcome to drink in them.
    Doesnt nor never had a decent resturant/take away to eat.
    what the poster said above is true about undesirables moving in (added to the generations all ready festered there) plenty of shifty eyed Hi aces and dynas floating around.

id look at at shannon tbh,airport and a proper road network

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

gambithh wrote: »
    i live three miles outside the bridge for the last 30 years,its a kip,a small minded gaa / [Mod Snip] town.You have to be born in sum of the bars down there to feel welcome to drink in them.
    what the poster said above is true about undesirables moving in (added to the generations all ready festered there) plenty of shifty eyed Hi aces and dynas floating around.

Thats a fairly controversial summation of SMB.

I have many friends and relatives living there and I think it is a fantastic little villiage/town. It has a Chinese takeaway and an Indian takeaway. The Millers Loft, which was a lovely little restaurant, is recently closed. You are still only 3 miles from Bunratty which has a host of fine restaurants (and linkage to that proper road network you refer to).

You are correct - there is a thriving , and successful, GAA tradition in the villiage.

I agree in relation to some undesirables allegdy moving in, but unfortunately that is true of many villiages and towns in the mid west area.

Any time I have paid a visit to the pubs in SMB, I have always felt welcome and the local clientle always make an effort to have a bit of a chat.

If I were from SMB, I would be quiet insulted with what you wrote, but someone with the literary challenges that are obvious from your post P, shouldn't be taken too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Sasol, you made some very valid points in your post that was until you insulted a fellow poster. Personal insults/abuse will not be tolerated.

If anyone has an issue with a post, please report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Crusheen might be a better choice for convenience,its right off the motorway and its not far from Galway and Limerick.

There's a housing development there so I'm sure a few might be available to renters.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Sasol, you made some very valid points in your post that was until you insulted a fellow poster. Personal insults/abuse will not be tolerated.

If anyone has an issue with a post, please report it.
    Well in fairness the other poster insulted a whole village. I don't actually believe he had lived outside the village for thirty years. I think he has made up a load of rubbish just to insult a village. I am from neighbouring newmarket on fergus and both villages are reasonably sought after for living purposes, mainly cos they are reasonably quiet and close to bigger Towns like limerick and ennis. I drink in both villages and never had any issue with the publicans or with being made welcome. Maybe the issue lies with the poster?!!

• Advertisement

If any poster has an issue or is offended by a post they are meant to report it, not insult the poster. If you have an issue with a Mod, you're supposed to PM the Mod to discuss the issue or one of the other Mods on the forum or a Category Mod. You're not supposed to post your grievances in threads as it only drags the thread off topic.

With regard to post 7 - the poster is entitled to his/her opinion and that may have been their experience. It certainly hasn't been my experience of SMB, I've only ever had positive experiences but I don't live there. I do have work colleagues living there and they have settled in without any difficulty. One came from Dublin and the other from Tipperary. The vast majority of posts to this thread have been very positive so I think the OP will be able to make an informed decision.

I also want to make a general point about grammar, punctuation, spelling etc. I believe that it is wrong to comment on a person's literacy skills, it can be extremely hurtful and can deter people from posting for fear of being ridiculed. It tends to cause far more damage than an expletive does.

It is also worth remembering that there are quite a few posters on Boards for whom English is not their first language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

That's what I call good moderation,my faith in moderators in Boards.ie has been restored :)

Forgive my puncutation sasol,My post,although shortened on reflection,seemed pretty clear to understand to most intelligent individuals.
    i didnt feel the need to write a novel at 5.30am on a twelve hour night shift at work.
    I am entitled to my opinion as are you but clearly i have struck a nerve with pillars of the s.m.b community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: As already said by MrsD007, if folks have an issue with a post then they need to report that post.

Opinions are fine, but attempts to work little digs in is not.

Anyone who decides to ignore what MrsD007 said, and/or to make comments that could be deemed offensive or flame worthy will be infracted.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Sixmilebridge is a great little village to live close to limerick/ennis/shannon and now served by train to limerick and ennis. The locals are normal everyday people and as friendly as anyplace i have ever been! as for the pubs again i have never seen or heard of strangers having any problems interacting with the locals.

The village its self is allways kept clean and tidy with a great community sprit, plenty of clubs gaa/soccer/running/scouts/youth club/fishing/shooting/tidy towns.....etc

Now there are some undesirables in the area but in no way different to any village in ireland and certainly not enough to detract from living in the village.

I'm aware 'The Angelus' isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think Sixmilebridge looks good in this short clip, it also captures the community spirit that exists in the village.

http://vimeo.com/15049124#

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lookingforward

I started working in smb at the beginning of the year. I've had nothing but positive interactions with the locals. My partners sister and bf moved there a year ago also and they think its v nice. I went out for the winter music festival in smb also and it had a great atmosphere even though i wasnt drinking. good friendly people!
    He is right about the limerick regeneration scheme. but the same can be said for any town within a thirty mile radius of limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 toughtofind

I'm aware 'The Angelus' isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think Sixmilebridge looks good in this short clip, it also captures the community spirit that exists in the village.

I like the Angelus, but it only shows the well kept parts in the village. Unfortunately the good people of Sixmilebridge don't care much about their Holy Well in the middle of the village. It is used as a rubbish bin. Very sad to see , Patricks Well it is called. It would be a great community effort to paint the gate, clean up the well and get rid of the stench of urine that greets you when you walk down the stone steps. Also the advertising boards that are put against it are not a feature. They have some way to go in Sixmilebridge. :mad:

I like the Angelus, but it only shows the well kept parts in the village. Unfortunately the good people of Sixmilebridge don't care much about their Holy Well in the middle of the village. It is used as a rubbish bin. Very sad to see , Patricks Well it is called. It would be a great community effort to paint the gate, clean up the well and get rid of the stench of urine that greets you when you walk down the stone steps. Also the advertising boards that are put against it are not a feature. They have some way to go in Sixmilebridge. :mad:
    Where exactly is that well?

It is on the road to Ieverstown, sort of opposite the placewhere the ducks are, the little picnic place. It is normally covered withbillboards for laundry services and carwashes. Here is a link on the Clarelibrary website.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/archaeology/CL052-01601-.htm

You can find a more detailed location on www.archaeology.ie ,
    http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/, especially as you look at the 6 inch black and white map. Interesting map ,the past is staring you in the face. You need to fill in the details on thedatabase yourself to bring it up.

There is another well appr. 200 away, around the corner fromthere to the right,in a housing estate, but that is not the one I mean. That one isnot registered as a Holy Well.

I have dreams that the people of Sixmilebridge do PatricksWell up for St. Patricks Day and keep itin good knick and give it the respect it deserves. It is such a nice addition to the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

You have a very good point but the last sentence seems a bit harsh because, on the whole, the locals do seem to put a lot of effort into maintaining a nice, tidy village.

I'm off to SMB myself on Friday for a show that's put on by the local youth club. Heard very good things about it in previous years so looking forward to it

You have a very good point but the last sentence seems a bit harsh because, on the whole, the locals do seem to put a lot of effort into maintaining a nice, tidy village.

I'm off to SMB myself on Friday for a show that's put on by the local youth club. Heard very good things about it in previous years so looking forward to it

Yes, i know, i am harsh, but i simply don't understand why they are not taking care of this beautiful monument that undoubtedly has a lot of history. It is beyond me. And so long as it is in the state as it is i have to remain harsh. It would not take much time, money and effort to clean this place up, it will add a lot to the no doubt lovely look of the village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Yes, i know, i am harsh, but i simply don't understand why they are not taking care of this beautiful monument that undoubtedly has a lot of history. It is beyond me. And so long as it is in the state as it is i have to remain harsh. It would not take much time, money and effort to clean this place up, it will add a lot to the no doubt lovely look of the village.

Put a notice in the local newsletter so and organise a group to clean it up some weekend. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

gambithh wrote: »
    i live three miles outside the bridge for the last 30 years,its a kip,a small minded gaa /B]Mod snip[/Btown.You have to be born in sum of the bars down there to feel welcome to drink in them.

So why are you still there

So why are you still there

i am not frank,read the first sentence again.

Carazy wrote: »
    Put a notice in the local newsletter so and organise a group to clean it up some weekend. Simples.
    I have thought about that idea,but i hope it will come from the SMB people, matter of pride. Not an outsider. And that is not a copout, believe me, i have cleaned up Holy wells over the last 10 years till my hands were bleeding. You come back a year later and the place is bad again in the most cases. If the people in the community don't see the need than it is not going to work, it has to come from the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Dry-cleaning, washing, drying ......

2aoj1x.jpg

It looks like it would take very little to maintain it in good condition.

To be honest I never knew of its existence until I read this thread.

Dry-cleaning, washing, drying ......

2aoj1x.jpg

It looks like it would take very little to maintain it in good condition.

To be honest I never knew of its existence until I read this thread.

Thanks for posting the picture, i agree, it would not take much to paint it . Did you go down in the Well, the last time i was there, a lot of cans,bottles, paper, crisps packets, name it, it covered the water. To clean that up and dig out other debris that would be the bigger job, but very rewarding. I hope somebody in SMB will take it on. In a way the billboard is funny, but you would not want to use the water of the Well in its current state. Deadly.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

It's strange nothing was ever done with the well,the tidy towns group are pretty active so surprising its let go! i wonder is it in private ground?

maybe Cllr john crow or pj ryan would be of help to mention it to.

• Advertisement

imurdaddy wrote: »
    It's strange nothing was ever done with the well,the tidy towns group are pretty active so surprising its let go! i wonder is it in private ground?

maybe Cllr john crow or pj ryan would be of help to mention it to.

I could not have said it better, it is really strange that it is left in the state it is, so far as i can see it is not on private ground, it is on the side of the footpath, you walk right past it. I don't know of the people you mention , not from the area, but if you have contact details i happily bring it to their attention.

Advertisement