Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There n' Back...to see how far it was

Options
  • 03-02-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Well I'm taking the training log plunge at last. I have committed to running fully at this stage and the log will give me a history I can look back on, I guess.

I'm male, 34 and running since November '11. Before that exercise was pretty much zero. Played a lot of golf but that was it. I was seriously out of shape and not happy about it.

First time I ran, I covered the phenomenol distance of 600 yards or so and nearly collapsed. It took 2 months to be able to run 2 miles without stopping. If I can run, anyone can for sure.

2012 saw me run 803 miles in total, lose almost 2 stone, complete the following:

1 x 5 mile race
    1 x 10k race
    3 x HM (fastest 1:38:35)
    1 x Marathon (DCM 3:48:07)

So what does the future hold. Not entirely sure to be honest but at this moment in time I see myself going down the endurance route, marathons, ultra's, with some shorter stuff thrown in for good measure.

One thing I know for sure is that running has given me more than I could have ever imagined. I'm fitter, leaner but most of all, mentally stronger. I just don't give up now, where I would have folded before.

Also this running forum on boards is brilliant. Constant advice and support. I guess its an understanding borne of effort....and a path that everyone has travelled in some form or other.

2013 goals:

2 x 5 mile race
    1 x 10k race
    3 x HM
    2 x Marathon
    1000+ miles for the year.

So that's the crack. We'll see how it goes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the log upthe19th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log upthe19th!
    +1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

+1 :D
    Sure all the cool people have training logs these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good luck J. You are going well. How is Operation Mile Conversion with Dilbert going? Looks like you made small in roads today!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

blockic wrote: »
    Good luck J. You are going well. How is Operation Mile Conversion with Dilbert going? Looks like you made small in roads today!! :D

I reckon he's just playing along to be polite, he's a gentleman.

Going to try a "hard reset" and if that doesn't work he's going back to garmin for a tune up;):D.

• Advertisement

LSR today with Dilbert75. The weather held up but the wind was tough going and very energy sapping. Dilbert75 was strong as usual and great company.

Had a tough one today to be honest. At about 10 miles I went very low on energy and almost faint to be honest. I hadn't had much to eat or drink beforehand but reckoned I'd be fine and if anything would get the body used to burning fat.

At 12 miles I had to stop and asked dilbert to continue on with his run and I walked the last half mile. Somewhat light headed, I ate 4 nature valley bars and 500mls of water with 1.5 electrolyte tablets. I was roasting too and sweating profusely, not a normal occurence.

Ate a dinner when I got home, showered and lay on the bed in a daze. My wife woke me 2 hours later(could not believe the time) at about half 6and I've been groggy since.

12miles @ 8:39/mile
    WTD 31miles
    YTD 144miles

Can you hit the wall at 12 miles? Never felt like it before, even after DCM.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Sure all the cool people have training logs these days!

Cool?:eek: I'm in the wrong place so.....only way i'd be cool is if I forgot me baselayer:D

upthe19th wrote: »

Cool?:eek: I'm in the wrong place so.....only way i'd be cool is if I forgot me baselayer:D
    Thinking about it, your baselayer might have been part of the problem today - given that we both jettisoned the hats by about 1k, I'm guessing you must have been melting, even with the breeze. Given how bad I felt last week when I was over-dressed, it mustn't have helped you much.

Thinking about it, your baselayer might have been part of the problem today - given that we both jettisoned the hats by about 1k, I'm guessing you must have been melting, even with the breeze. Given how bad I felt last week when I was over-dressed, it mustn't have helped you much.

Maybe, awful feeling though. I have not stopped in a run in over a year.

The week in brief:

Monday 4th Feb
    Rest day, donated blood, borderline iron levels so I've started a 10 day iron tonic.

Tuesday 5th Feb
    Rest day again...just wasn't feeling it...used my new foam roller for a bit.

Wednesday 6th Feb
    6 miles @ 8:28 mpm

Thursday 7th Feb
    4 miles @ 8:24 mpm

Friday 8th Feb
    4 miles @ 8:16 mpm

Saturday 9th Feb
    Rest day of sorts, outside on the farm all day trying to catch upon some stuff.

Light week overall. Enniscorthy 10k tomorrow. Looking forword to it.

• Advertisement

Low iron - and you were wondering why you were tired last Sunday! I've actually heard it said that lots of people develop anemia when they start running - not sure how widespread it is but you're the 2nd I know.

Glad to see you got the foam roller - hope it's working well for you. Between that and the iron there'll be no stopping you tomorrow in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good luck tomorrow J!!

As the title says, when I ran this last year it was my very first race ever and I ran it in 48:32. This year I was hoping for much better...much better.

Even after a pretty long day outside on the farm, I felt good this morning and ready to go. I got my few bits done with the kids and herself and headed for enniscorthy.

When I arrived I met a guy I knew and chatted for a while and then headed for registration. A man stopped me and told me to check my name and number on a board. There were 2 of us with the same name. I saw the numbers....Ah no, I thought, sweet jesus.

I went down to the registration tables, it wasn't busy, no queue and 6 or 7 ladies ready to help.

This was how the conversation went at the tables:

Girl: Hi there
    Me: Hi. There's 2 of us with the same name.
    Girl: That's no problem. We'll go by date of birth. What's the number?
    Me: 282
    Girl: No, that's not your date of birth. What's the other number?
    Me: Ah christ!
    Girl: Sorry, what did you say?
    Me: one
    Girl: What, really?
    Me: Yep, one
    Girl: That's it, best of luck.

One, jaysus, and me there half laughing and half red faced, sporting a body that a crisp manufacturer would design.

So off I went with a 1 mile warm up, some strides and some stretching and down to the start line.

Congestion at the start was tough and I cursed myself for not going further up the front. The first mile came around in 7:17 and I was a long way off what I'd wanted and doing a hell of a lot of weaving.

The course was a bit tougher than I'd remembered, but I stuck with it and tried to push it all the time. It was tough going at times and I knew I was behind with at least 2 other slow miles at about 7:10 and 7:11 or so.

At the 8k marker, I put the foot to the floor and got my pace to about 6:30ish per mile and then for the last 200m I completely floored it to peak at a pace of 4:27/mile. I saw my race time but with the effort of the last sprint I forgot to stop the garmin on the line. 2 mile cool down to finish with a guy I met in ferrycarrig a couple of weeks ago.

Nice spread afterwards and overall the race was very well organised, I thought, and fair play to all involved.

Just got the chip time.

Previous PB : 48:32
    Goal time : 44:00
    Chip time : 44:07

I'm happy enough, it's just outside and to be fair my training hasn't been targeted to 10k on the whole. Nearly 4.5 minutes off my time in my second ever 10k...Not too shabby.

Next stop, Wexford HM, bring 'er on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great running today upthe19th, well done! Looks like you're in great shape for Cork in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

upthe19th wrote: »

Congestion at the start was tough and I cursed myself for not going further up the front. The first mile came around in 7:17 and I was a long way off what I'd wanted and doing a hell of a lot of weaving.
    Next stop, Wexford HM, bring 'er on.

A very similar experience for me. Not helped by some helpful walkers positioning themselves to the fore!

Good result..some serious improvement over a year. See you in Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Well done! See u in wex and cork!

Well done! See u in wex and cork!

Thanks stephen. See you in wexford my man.

I'm gonna have to get a picture with you in cork with our race numbers...and 2 pints of course.

As said already, fantastic running today and great improvement timewise on last year. Your hardly doing the Strawberry Half at end of May seeing its so close to Cork??

tang1 wrote: »
    As said already, fantastic running today and great improvement timewise on last year. Your hardly doing the Strawberry Half at end of May seeing its so close to Cork??

Thanks tang.

The strwberry half was initially the plan when I thought I was doing the viking marathon. But I have a wedding the weekend of the Viking. So I opted for cork and and the wexford HM.

Are you doing the strawberry? I did it last year and ran with meno (he was the 1:45 pacer with marthastew). I would recommend it highly, a well organised race, thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a tricky little course in places, but not too bad. I remember meno saying to me at the time that I would knock a good bit of my time with a flatter course.

Yeah i'm doing it alright, have heard good things about it and its my plan for an assault on a sub 1.30 all things going to plan. Shame you cant make it.

• Advertisement

1:30:eek:...holy jaysus, fair play. I'll be trying to get to 1:35 in wexford, hopefully.

Don't worry there will be other events for sure, and pints recovery drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

That's a great improvement on last year, well done. As you say" Not too shabby" a chunk to take off a PB over 10K!

Mighty running young man - and a hell of a recovery from the traffic at the start. Hope the leg has been treating you well since (thought I heard some screaming the other night - was that you trying out your new foam roller? :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Nice running and well done on the new PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What's your marathon target*?

*answer better be < 3.20 ;)

Gavlor wrote: »

No pressure like...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

No pressure like...

It may be a bit harsh!!

Gavlor wrote: »

Don't think it will be sub 3.20 anyway i'd say, don't think that pace is in me, but never say never.

Was going to try 3:40 for cork and 3:30 for dublin, but that's a bit of a cop out to be honest, otherwise whats the point training.

If I can get both of them under 3:30 and DCM closer to 3:25 i'd be very, very happy.

A lovely sausages and mash dinner followed by pancakes put pay to my run yesterday evening.

Was going to do a 4 mile run this morning , alarm went off at 5:15, I heard rain, I wussed out:o.

Will beef up the remaining 4 running days this week to make up for it.

• Advertisement

Monday 11th Feb
    Rest day after 10k race

Tuesday 12th Feb
    Rest day again...Pancakes....enough said

Wednesday 13th Feb
    6 miles @ 7:57/mile. Little tough at times.

Thursday 14th Feb
    6 miles @ 7:54/mile. Felt a lot easier and steadier.

Friday 15th Feb
    20 miles on the bike. Nice change for the legs. The first cross training session in a long time and the plan is to do this every friday, hopefully.

Saturday 16th Feb
    8 mile run at PMP (8:00/mile). Felt good and comfortable.
    Mile splits were: 8:00, 8:05, 7:58, 7:53, 8:12, 7:58, 8:00, 8:04.

Sunday 17th Feb
    LSR with dilbert75. The plan was to run 14 miles and run over half of it at PMP, 7:59/mile.

It's a tough little route but it was very easy today with dilbert75 being very strong as usual, despite the fact that he had put in some serious mileage for the last few weeks.

We were going very well from the start and found ourselves ahead of our goal times, so much so that we covered the entire 14 miles at better than PMP and finished with an overall pace of about 7:55/mile:).

Mile splits were:
    7:54, 7:54, 7:45, 7:34, 7:49, 7:59, 7:47, 8:02, 7:51, 8:21, 7:56, 8:02, 8:11, 8:01.

WTD 34miles
    YTD 201miles

Advertisement