Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There n' Back...to see how far it was

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Saturday 9th March
    10 mile PMP run. Felt ok after the session run the day before. Actual pace was 7:59/mile

Sunday 10th March
    17 mile LSR with Dilbert75 today. Not a great day weather wise. Could not have done this run without my partner in crime, thanks C.

We aimed for about 8:30/mile pace and the actual pace was 8:27, so happy enough.

Mile splits were: 8:21, 8:28, 8:33, 8:21, 8:31, 8:34, 8:20, 8:33, 8:17, 8:52, 8:22, 8:23, 8:28, 8:33, 8:36, 8:23, 8:07.

Overall a decent week done.

Left hamstring is not great at the moment, very tender. Was thinking about it and to be honest it is not too surprising. In the last 3 days I've done 37 miles, with an average approx. pace of 8:00/mile. Somethings got to give.

WTD Mileage: 41 miles
    YTD Mileage: 318 miles

Monday 11th March
    Rest day.

Tuesday 12th March
    5 miles @ 7:25/mile. Should have run this slower after 17miler on sunday. I came home in a rush and geared up and took off up the road. After 2.5 miles I realised I should be doing about 8:30/mile...no harm done...live and learn.

Wednesday 13th March
    5 miles @ 8:55/mile. Nice recovery run in preparation for session tomorrow.

HM Session (No.3)

5 hours sleep last night at most and a long day today didn't fill me with confidence starting this session.

The plan again was to make it a little bit tougher than last week and push it a bit more. The same 10 mile route as always. This week's session would be approx. 1 minute quicker over the 10 miles than session No.2.

The plan was:

1 mile @ 7:30/mile
    4 x (1 mile @ 7:00/mile, 1 mile @ 7:30/mile)
    1 mile @ 7:30/mile

Mile splits were:

7:31, 7:05, 7:33, 7:10, 7:33, 7:10, 7:47, 7:11, 7:21, 7:13.

Similar times again in places. Overall pace for the 10 miles was ~7:21/mile down from ~7:26/mile last week. Miles 3,4,5 and 6 were freaky looking, in fairness.

An unofficial PB of 1:13:35, a reduction of 1 minute 16 secs on my original one.

Going in the right direction if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great stuff. Well done :D What's the goal time in Wexford. I'd say you'll be blowing your pb into space :D

Great stuff. Well done :D What's the goal time in Wexford. I'd say you'll be blowing your pb into space :D

Thanks cm. Tbh after tonight i have real concerns about the goal time for wexford hm. Had my sights for sub 1:35 but now i think that won't happen.

Need to take another 7 seconds a mile off tonight and stick on 3.1 miles as well.

Its a big ask and maybe a bridge too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

7 seconds per mile in a race environment is nothing at all. I was Looking at your splits tonight thinking your target was a tad soft!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    7 seconds per mile in a race environment is nothing at all. I was Looking at your splits tonight thinking your target was a tad soft!!

Do you really think so. I was stretched tonight. I know that's the idea of a session and i want them to be tough but the goal felt a long way off tonight.

Don't forget you'll have a weeks taper before the half and you won't half a days work behind you. Also I guarantee you'll be better prepared in terms of nutrition.

7 seconds is nothing, 10/15 extra steps a mile IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

upthe19th wrote: »

Do you really think so. I was stretched tonight. I know that's the idea of a session and i want them to be tough but the goal felt a long way off tonight.

Yip, race conditions and adreneline will take care of those 7 seconds for you easy. Your shaping up very well for Wexford.

Fair points gavlor. Thanks for that. Going to push hard for next few weeks. I hope you're right but given your pace i have more faith in your judgement and opinions than my own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ya I agree with Gavlor and tang. Sub 1:35 is definitely well within your capabilities. I was on for 1:35 in Bohermeen until I got the stitch at mile 8 and I'm confident if everything had been going well for me that week I could have got that time. You were stronger than me in Waterford and you've done some great sessions in the last few weeks so you should be very confident ;)

Thanks cm and tang. As with gavlor, ye guys have some great stuff achieved, so those opinions carry a lot of weight with me.

Thanks cm and tang. As with gavlor, ye guys have some great stuff achieved, so those opinions carry a lot of weight with me.

Just remember that there's a lot more to racing than clocking up training miles. Half of it is psychological

Saturday 16th March
    10 mile PMP run. Right hamstring was playing up. Got through it though with some reasonable consistency. Actual pace was 8:00/mile.

Mile splits were: 8:02, 7:54, 8:05, 7:54, 8:10, 7:57, 8:01, 8:04, 7:57, 8:00.

Sunday 17th March
    18 mile LSR early today to get back for family stuff. Cracking day weather wise. Hamstring was not good this morning. Did a lot of stretching yesterday but it was very tight and sore. Forgot my gel, didn't need it, never looked like needing it at any stage today.

Stopped during miles 7 and 11 to stretch the hamstrings and quads. I had felt a twinge both times today that I'd felt during DCM12. I ignored it then and it cost me 4 or 5 minutes on the day. I'll never ignore it again.

Actual pace for the run was 8:44/mile, even with 2 stops totalling about 2 minutes, so not too bad I guess

Rappers are always talking about jacuzzi's full of women and bottles of krystal....so what...try an 18 mile run followed by a bath with Radox muscle soak while drinking a bottle of strawberry yazoo. They see me rollin', they hatin':cool:.

Overall a decent week done. Just shy of 50 miles done.

WTD Mileage: 48 miles
    YTD Mileage: 366 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good man, b2b runs and good times! I agree with the lads, you are well able for that sub 1:35 pb.
    Bath is the highlight of my week now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Serious 2 days running there!! I'm tired even just looking at it!:eek:

1:35 is well achievable for you, I was running similar numbers last year in my DCM training and I had a low 1:3X for my HM in the lead up to DCM. You're well able lad!

blockic wrote: »
    Serious 2 days running there!! I'm tired even just looking at it!:eek:

1:35 is well achievable for you, I was running similar numbers last year in my DCM training and I had a low 1:3X for my HM in the lead up to DCM. You're well able lad!

Thanks j. Im sore enough here now Tbh. Last weekend was tougher, with the session on the Friday, the pmp on sat and then the 17 miler on sun and i did not feel as bad after it. Maybe this week was heavier cos of the cumulative effect.

Read your days training....savage....there were numbers there that i couldn't do on 3 milers.

The next few weeks will tell a lot for hm. Really need to push hard and give myself a chance.

Mind the hammer.... I cancelled a 5 mile run today due to my right hamstring, rest = good, running = bad

Gavlor wrote: »
    Mind the hammer.... I cancelled a 5 mile run today due to my right hamstring, rest = good, running = bad

Big time. When i felt it giving a bit today i stopped to stretch. Biggest lesson i learned from dcm last year. Never felt cramp pain like it.

I did the stretching at the top of hills to give me an easier start getting the legs turning over again. Really helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good man, b2b runs and good times! I agree with the lads, you are well able for that sub 1:35 pb.
    Bath is the highlight of my week now!!

+1 to that...on all counts

• Advertisement

Monday 18th March
    Rest day. Hamstring a little sore but nothing major.

Tuesday 19th March
    Was supposed to do a 6 mile recovery run. 2 miles in the hamstring started to play up. Turned back and made my way home. By that stage the hamstring was not good.

Wednesday 20th March
    Woke and was hard pressed to get out of bed. Serious pain from hamstring down through the back of the knee. Seriously pi$$ed off and hobbling around for the day. This is by far and away the worst injury I've suffered since I started running.

Thursday 21st March
    I have an appointment with a physio tonight to get myself sorted. Going to bring my current runners and my last pair with me and see what the story is.
    Probably as a result of the increased mileage, but I want to get an assessment and see are there any underlying issues, alignment or similar, that may be having a knock on effect. Fingers-crossed it goes ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Monday 18th March
    Rest day. Hamstring a little sore but nothing major.

Tuesday 19th March
    Was supposed to do a 6 mile recovery run. 2 miles in the hamstring started to play up. Turned back and made my way home. By that stage the hamstring was not good.

Wednesday 20th March
    Woke and was hard pressed to get out of bed. Serious pain from hamstring down through the back of the knee. Seriously pi$$ed off and hobbling around for the day. This is by far and away the worst injury I've suffered since I started running.

Thursday 21st March
    I have an appointment with a physio tonight to get myself sorted. Going to bring my current runners and my last pair with me and see what the story is.
    Probably as a result of the increased mileage, but I want to get an assessment and see are there any underlying issues, alignment or similar, that may be having a knock on effect. Fingers-crossed it goes ok.
    Sorry to hear of your injury woes. Hope the physio sorts you out.
    Hamstrings are a bitch to sort out quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sorry to hear that, it's a total bummer to get an injury when you've been training so hard and so consistently. Hopefully it's nothing serious and a good deep tissue massage and a few days rest will sort you out.

Sounds like a small graded tear? Hopefully a bit of rest will sort you out. Be sure to ask about cycling to keep the fitness ticking over

Thursday 21st March

Had the physio session. Turns out no major damage done. A combination of things it looks like, increased mileage, not enough stretching, runners past there best. Have another appt next week. Been stretching and foam rolling for last 2 days.

Cycling was ok to do but did not fancy it in the weather. Was told that I could try a PMP run tomorrow, probably 10 miles or so. Had a new pair of runners already broken in and waiting in the cupboard, so happy days.

Can't wait for tomorrow....going mental since tuesday.

Great news!!

Great news!!

sure is J. She said my flexiblity was not too bad. I've been working on my technique as well and that was having an effect too, hamstrings were now working harder. Very good physio. Talked a lot of sense.

She said my flexiblity was not too bad. I've been working on my technique as well and that was having an effect too, hamstrings were now working harder.

Haha, that just sounds so wrong in my head! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

speaking from bitter experience - don't be a hero and mind that injury. You've put in too much hard work to ruin it by pushing too hard but sounds like you are being sensible and doing the right things..

• Advertisement

Haha, that just sounds so wrong in my head! :pac:

Yep, i'm gonna have to start reading my posts back to myself.....or start posting in the relationships forum...one or the other:D.

Advertisement