Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There n' Back...to see how far it was

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Tom Joad wrote: »
    speaking from bitter experience - don't be a hero and mind that injury. You've put in too much hard work to ruin it by pushing too hard but sounds like you are being sensible and doing the right things..

you're right of course T_J. Have a tendency at times to drive on regardless but I'm starting to learn. A couple of days rest is nothing in the greater scheme of things. Physio was ok about running tomorrow, I will proceed with caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

upthe19th wrote: »
    you're right of course T_J. Have a tendency at times to drive on regardless but I'm starting to learn. A couple of days rest is nothing in the greater scheme of things. Physio was ok about running tomorrow, I will proceed with caution.

I used to be like that until learned the hard way :( being mindful of it is the best plan - listen to the body! good luck with it..

Sunday 24th March
    6 miles today at 7:52/mile. There was nothing to be gained by pushing out more miles today.

Looks like it's going to be another poor week ahead. Injury is still not great. Will have to put up with it now, rest and hope that it comes good.

WTD Mileage: 10 miles
    YTD Mileage: 376 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't stress too much just yet - you've an ass-load of work done. You won't lose that just because you have to rest a while. You've 10 weeks to Cork so let there be no panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Don't stress too much just yet - you've an ass-load of work done. You won't lose that just because you have to rest a while. You've 10 weeks to Cork so let there be no panic.

+1 better now than May, make sure to get it sorted fully so that it doesn't come back to bite at a more critical time. 2 weeks of low mileage wont be much of a loss in the greater scheme of things

• Advertisement

Saturday 30th March

Finally back out on the roads again. It was really weird cos I felt totally rested in every way except for the hamstring.

The hammer whinged at me for about the first 2.5 miles until the little voice in my head shouted out "Ah here, will you ever shut the f**k up" and the hammer obliged, well in part.

8 miles done in 1:02:55. It was steady enough and just below PMP. Tomorrow will tell the full story, I'm not quite there but closer than I was 2 days ago.

WTD Mileage: 8 miles
    YTD Mileage: 384 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

No need to tell you to take it handy, you know that yourself. Mind the hammer, bitch of an injury to recover from if it goes completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Are you wearing compression shorts??

If not, get some ASAP

Gavlor wrote: »
    Are you wearing compression shorts??

If not, get some ASAP

Believe it or not, I always wear them, nearly on every run and race. They reduced the auld chaffing when I wore them first and I've worn them ever since.

tang1 wrote: »
    No need to tell you to take it handy, you know that yourself. Mind the hammer, bitch of an injury to recover from if it goes completely.

It's a real curse tang. There's even a bit of groin strain in the mix as well....right craic.

I will mind it. I was talking to dilbert75 last week about possibly doing a 5k in waterford next week but that is off the cards.

I gave it a little push today pace wise in places at about 6:45/mile and there was no serious fall out. A couple of sessions and the rest will be steady for next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's a real curse tang. There's even a bit of groin strain in the mix as well....right craic.

That's interesting, has the Physio suggested/located the root cause??

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's interesting, has the Physio suggested/located the root cause??

The right leg seems to have been impacted on by restriction in the left leg, throwing me out of sync a bit. I'm very, very flat-footed and this coupled with a big increase in mileage, poor stretching regime and knackered runners seems to have fecked me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Not much else I can say here that has not already been said. Just mind yourself and hope you get sorted with it soon J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Believe it or not, I always wear them, nearly on every run and race. They reduced the auld chaffing when I wore them first and I've worn them ever since.

That's gas. THe very same for me re the shorts:D. Just out of interest, at what point do you decide when to start running again, when there is no pain, when there is no pain when stretching, or do you give it a certain time frame to heal depending on how bad it is?

RedRunner wrote: »
    That's gas. THe very same for me re the shorts:D. Just out of interest, at what point do you decide when to start running again, when there is no pain, when there is no pain when stretching, or do you give it a certain time frame to heal depending on how bad it is?

To be honest RR, I'm definitely the wrong person to ask. I'm still in some pain with it but not as much. Yesterday was ok but more testing the water than anything else. I guess it's going to differ for everyone and for every injury, leave it to your physio to advise i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sending healing thoughts your way upthe19th, hope you'll be fully recovered for the Wexford Half and more importantly Cork! Hopefully the few days rest coupled with physio and all that stretching/foam rolling everyone's ways raving about will get you back on track :)

Monday 1st April

After a serious night of stretching and foam rolling, today was just a 4 mile recovery run @ 8:25/mile. A bit better today.

Have a deep tissue session booked for tomorrow with a local physio, he shows no mercy and is as strong as an ox, fun times:rolleyes:.

It's gonna be a long week between work, hopefully some running and another years sowing on the farm...some late nights on a tractor with "marathon talk" on the speakers.

Update after nearly a week.

Taking the anti-inflammatories, not too many painkillers, and compression and icing since seeing doctor last week. Calves and hamstring were better but knee was still not able to take much weight but was feeling better each day. On monday last was sitting with the kids and started massaging the top of my calf and back of knee with my thumb. It started to loosen a bit and something seemed to "release" at the back of the knee. When I stood the calf was sore but not so much in the knee. I ran around the table at home and the knee did not twinge or feel pulled or strained.

Against the better of herself, I decided to go for a short run, not expecting to get far. No GPS, just a stopwatch under sleeve that I did not look at. Managed 4 miles at what I reckoned was about 8:00-8:30/mile and felt under pressure, disheartened at how "unfit" I had become after over 2 weeks of little or no training. Checked the stopwatch at the end, couldn't believe the time, 28:47 for the 4 mileseek.png.

Had physio session booked for last night to do work on calves and hamstring, while waiting for consultant, . He couldn't believe the difference in the knee. He could hardly tell them apart. Good rubdown and legs felt really loose after it. Physio reckons the the back of the knee may have been swollen from all the tightness of the muscles, top and bottom of it. The last session may have relieved the swelling a bit which may explain why the doctor thought swelling was too small to be a bakers cyst but still aggrevated and very sore.

Have been advised to take it easy, build up some running from friday on. I'm to see how it goes next week. If all things remain good, I can race (within reason) on the 21st in wexford

I won't be rushing, What has been missed, is missed. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great news! Hopefully you will be ok for Wexford and if you need to adjust your time a bit, then so be it. Please do take it easy though, it's so easy to do too much too soon when the legs feel fresh and you don't want a setback at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

What ncmc said! Good to read that you are back on the road (figuratively and literally speaking) to recovery.

And like blokic said a while back, doubtful that a few quiet weeks will have knocked much off you.

• Advertisement

Good to hear you are back - as the others said take it handy :)

Friday 12th April

6 miles @ 8:10/mile. Did a 2 mile walk after it. Calf was not great and some shin splint pain. Overall not too bad though. Hopefully its the result of no running for a while. Nice to be back out there.

Saturday 13th April
    Rest day. Got gait analysis and a new second pair of runners in AK in bray. Great service. Nice pair of runners too. Feel really comfortable and support is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Friday 12th April

6 miles @ 8:10/mile. Did a 2 mile walk after it. Calf was not great and some shin splint pain. Overall not too bad though. Hopefully its the result of no running for a while. Nice to be back out there.
    Great to see you back at it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78578809&postcount=61

Thanks K. That's a great little tip, thanks for the link. Will try it out.

Fell apart on a 4 mile run yesterday. Leg completely went from under me. Wasn't too far from home.

In hospital today for x rays and scans. No breaks. Bad muscle and tendon damage which has finally come to a head.

One week on crutches. No training of any description for at least 3 weeks.

Never mind wexford half, Bye bye cork marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Sorry to hear that, your really having a bad run of luck at the moment:-( .

Hopefully you'll come back stronger from all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gutted for you J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Gutted for you J.

+1 Life sucks sometimes

Ah crap - am gutted for you - been there a few times myself so know how it feels. Concentrate on getting it right and healed up and you'll be back in no time - there will be other races... keep the chin up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Ah crap - am gutted for you - been there a few times myself so know how it feels. Concentrate on getting it right and healed up and you'll be back in no time - there will be other races... keep the chin up..

+1, sorry to hear that, get yourself sorted and well for Dublin.

Advertisement