Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There n' Back...to see how far it was

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

So sorry to hear that J, I know it's probably cold comfort to hear today, but all your hard work will still stand to you. Get yourself better and regroup in time for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Feel for you. Hope you have a speedy recovery.Take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Thanks for the comments guys. It'll be grand. Just have to take the hit now and nip it in the bud.

A lot of things were put in perspective watching sky news last night. Felt sick watching footage of the blasts in boston as people ran by and people stood watching, it was horrific.

My thoughts are with those people caught up in it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

upthe19th wrote: »
    Fell apart on a 4 mile run yesterday. Leg completely went from under me. Wasn't too far from home.

In hospital today for x rays and scans. No breaks. Bad muscle and tendon damage which has finally come to a head.

One week on crutches. No training of any description for at least 3 weeks.

Never mind wexford half, Bye bye cork marathon.

That's really bad luck. Take it easy when you get back, my advice would be to start from scratch, it'll help you build up your legs again and hopefully stay injury free.

Don't be too down about it, plenty of more 26.2's to be done!

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's really bad luck. Take it easy when you get back, my advice would be to start from scratch, it'll help you build up your legs again and hopefully stay injury free.

Don't be too down about it, plenty of more 26.2's to be done!

Yep, you hit the nail on the head there.

Not so sure about the bad luck part though. Stubborness and stupidity played there part too, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Sorry to hear this. We are a man down for Cork. I'd be gutted but as you say things have to be put in perspective in light of recent events. TAke it handy & stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I was expecting some healthy competition from ya in the Wexford half but, just to echo the previous views, rest up and return with a vengeance.

Can you still sell the Wexford number on? (see recent posts on this in the race thread over in the events forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Yikes. Just popped over from the dcm thread after reading about your injury there. I've been getting lots of niggles and always interested in what others are doing.

Yours isn't quite a niggle any more. I hope it heals quickly for you. Plenty more marathons but you only get one body. Good luck with recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Sorry to hear about your latest injury woes, I've been following your progress. I hope it all clears up quickly for you. What a dose. Rest up and hopefully you can have a savage base for the next one. You must have been running in some discomfort for quite a while.

druss wrote: »
    I was expecting some healthy competition from ya in the Wexford half but, just to echo the previous views, rest up and return with a vengeance.

Can you still sell the Wexford number on? (see recent posts on this in the race thread over in the events forum).

Not so sure about that, I think you have more pace than me. Going to try to make it down on sunday to spectate and support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Not so sure about that, I think you have more pace than me. Going to try to make it down on sunday to spectate and support.

Well the sheer mileage ye marathon runners are putting up worries me! I have found that my own race performaces are increasingly brutal over the longer distances. You have built up a really good base and that won't disappear overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Going to try to make it down on sunday to spectate and support.

Was thinking of doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Going to try to make it down on sunday to spectate and support.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »

Lads I might join ye too, be good to give a bit of support and have a boardies meet up after! Let me know.

Fell apart on a 4 mile run yesterday. Leg completely went from under me. Wasn't too far from home.

In hospital today for x rays and scans. No breaks. Bad muscle and tendon damage which has finally come to a head.

One week on crutches. No training of any description for at least 3 weeks.

Never mind wexford half, Bye bye cork marathon.

Just catching up on the logs. Sorry to hear this J. Tough break. But you are doing the right thing now, getting it sorted once and for all, ease back into it after a few weeks when you are given the go ahead and take things slow. You'll be back stronger.

Hopefully see you Sunday.

blockic wrote: »
    Just catching up on the logs. Sorry to hear this J. Tough break. But you are doing the right thing now, getting it sorted once and for all, ease back into it after a few weeks when you are given the go ahead and take things slow. You'll be back stronger.

Hopefully see you Sunday.

Cheers j. Would be cool to meet up. Will be in touch

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Talk to ya Saturday

Unfortunately it's time to call an end to the running.

It's been a crap 6 weeks. No running whatsoever, alot of pain and a hell of a lot of treatment from physio and osteopath.

Things were starting to really come back in line and the osteopath said that there had been massive improvement. No limping, no pain, I felt great to be honest. So on friday I threw on the gear and headed out for a 4 miler at 8:20/mile pace. By the time I got home I was in pure agony. Right calf and hamstring were screaming, right hip had fallen apart with the gluts. Everything was sharp and like razor blades and it felt like a half pound of ground-up glass had been poured in behind my right knee. I did sleep a wink friday night with the pain.

So with all that I'm calling time on it. There's no way I'm going through the last 6 weeks again and it's restricting the rest of my activities. There's an mri to come but to be honest I've already made a call on this.

I wish everyone the very best in the future with their running. I have no doubt that you will all achieve your goals.

To the 2012 marathoners I say, it's been a pleasure. I loved the banter and ye have achieved mighty things. I hope this continues for you all. I am absolutely delighted, looking back, that I was able to get a marathon under my belt. I will of course be sticking the head in to keep an eye on things from time to time.

So what now? Well for some insane reason, cycling doesn't seem to cause any pain or trouble to the injury. I've managed about 150km on the bike this week and it's been great to be out and training again. So for now, that's what I'm doing and we'll see how it goes and I'd say I will probably be back on the fairways in the near future to try to get to mid single figures handicap wise.

Slan go foill.

So sorry to hear that J, but it sounds like the right call at the moment. Running doesn't suit everyone and if getting out on a bike suits you better, then it does sound like a better idea to concentrate on that. Who knows, maybe running is something you could try in the future or maybe shorter distances could be worth a try.

It was nice meeting you at the Wexford half and it's a pity that Cork didn't work out for you. But I think you're very brave to make this call. It would have been foolish to keep running just for the sake of it when it was causing you so much pain and expense.

Best of luck with whatever you do from now on. Who knows, maybe our paths will cross again in the future!

Ps what's with the new name? It's getting confusing round here!

Aw feic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Don't be too downbeat...... Cycling is just as addictive as running and after one spin down to hook head you'll wish you took it up sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    Ps what's with the new name? It's getting confusing round here!
    +1

Are you some relation to Finding Nemo????

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw1gbuDCbZ5Z2Ua-HaG1IjEeQcG-ey1NiYnFNSO3ulEBTOkGNhZw

Sorry to hear about the injury J. Such a bummer :( You'll have to join the cycling forum now!
    Next thing you know you'll be taking peds and winning the tour. Maybe that's why you changed the name .... hmmm ..... cunning :D

Sorry to hear the news. But a good decision for the moment. I wouldn't rule out running in the long term just yet. 6 or 12 months off and a slow build up might have you back on track! 10kms are just as fun as marathons! Enjoy the cycling in the meantime but don't convert to the dark side of tri! :D Might head out for 18 holes some weekend. That activity ain't so bad either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry to hear that. Scares the hell out of me that I may have to make a decision like that some day. Hope things go well for you in the future with the cycling and maybe you'll be be back some day. Best of luck.

I know how difficult it must have been for you to make this decision but I'm actually happy for you that you've come to a conclusion, even if it's not the one you'd have favoured. It's just miserable waiting for an injury to heal, without knowing whether you'll be able to continue from where you were. Now at least you can take on your cycling career with the same determination and discipline you had for your running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear the bad news, you know best yourself if its the correct decision. Cycling is every bit as addictive as running, best of luck with it and the golf handicap goals.

ncmc wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that J, but it sounds like the right call at the moment. Running doesn't suit everyone and if getting out on a bike suits you better, then it does sound like a better idea to concentrate on that. Who knows, maybe running is something you could try in the future or maybe shorter distances could be worth a try.

It was nice meeting you at the Wexford half and it's a pity that Cork didn't work out for you. But I think you're very brave to make this call. It would have been foolish to keep running just for the sake of it when it was causing you so much pain and expense.

Best of luck with whatever you do from now on. Who knows, maybe our paths will cross again in the future!

Thanks N. May be our paths will cross again you never know....another cheer leading gig maybe ;)
    +1

Are you some relation to Finding Nemo????

Sorry to hear about the injury J. Such a bummer :( You'll have to join the cycling forum now!
    Next thing you know you'll be taking peds and winning the tour. Maybe that's why you changed the name .... hmmm ..... cunning :D

Rush of blood to the head about the name...all has been restored....it just wasn't the same.
    Tour de what?....I don't think so:) and as for peds....not unless the auld fig rolls get re-classified:D:D
    blockic wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the news. But a good decision for the moment. I wouldn't rule out running in the long term just yet. 6 or 12 months off and a slow build up might have you back on track! 10kms are just as fun as marathons! Enjoy the cycling in the meantime but don't convert to the dark side of tri! :D Might head out for 18 holes some weekend. That activity ain't so bad either!

Tri? In a word...no shaggin' way:P. But the golf is an idea, if you're ever around gimme a buzz....and get tang in too for that long awaited 3 ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Shame about this. Hope you enjoy the bicycle! I've a feeling you'll be back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Sorry to hear this, I've been following your log (and trials). Great attitude, there are other things you can do! Here's to staying injury free. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Sorry to hear about this but sounds like a sensible - enjoy the bike!!

Advertisement