Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wherein Dublin was Gibraltar?

Options
  • 03-02-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I've been asked by my Father-in-Law to check into this, he thinks it was somewhere in the Coombe, has any knowledgeable Boardsies ever heard of this area in Dublin? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Clondalkin
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I have never heard of a Gibraltar, but the area from Wexford Street up to around where the Bleeding Horse pub is now, was called The Dardenelles by the Crown forces during the war of Independence. This was because of the ambushes launched on trucks and patrols from the tenements along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I check my copy of Thoms Street Directory of 1851 and there was a "Gibralter" consisting of 8 tenements located off elbow lane in Dublin. I think that would place it somewhere in the Liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I check my copy of Thoms Street Directory of 1851 and there was a "Gibralter" consisting of 8 tenements located off elbow lane in Dublin. I think that would place it somewhere in the Liberties.

On the 1798 map of Dublin, Elbow lane is located roughly where Gray Street is today, which runs parallel to the Coombe. I would not be surprised to hear of a Gibraltar there, as there is Pimlico and Tripoli named on this map. Pimlico is still a name of a street.

I am searching for my copy of Rocques 1756 map, but have recently moved house, and can't find a bloody thing!! If it is marked, I will post asap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is a good site for old maps.
    http://roots.swilson.info/maps.php
    Can't see Gibraltar, but Pimlico and Tripoli are there, near Meath Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Thanks for the replies everyone, I knew that I could rely on the good people of Boards to come up with the answer, delta bravo I think you have it spot on as my Father-in-Law is from Reginald Street off the Coombe and he thinks it was somewhere very close to that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

olly_mac wrote: »
    On the 1798 map of Dublin, Elbow lane is located roughly where Gray Street is today, which runs parallel to the Coombe. I would not be surprised to hear of a Gibraltar there, as there is Pimlico and Tripoli named on this map. Pimlico is still a name of a street.

I am searching for my copy of Rocques 1756 map, but have recently moved house, and can't find a bloody thing!! If it is marked, I will post asap.

A lot of the older residents in the area still call it Pimlico. Pimlico (the street/area) still exists, as does Pimlico Cottages - however most of the area was cleared for flats in the the mid 20th century. There's also a Pimlico Tavern there

I would not be surprised to find Gibralter in that area either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

spurious wrote: »

That's a pretty cool site, interesting looking at the road from Tallaght out to Blesington and there being no reservoir in this map 50 or so years from before it was created.

http://roots.swilson.info/dublinwicklow1885/dublinwicklow1885.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

spurious wrote: »
    Can't see Gibraltar, but Pimlico and Tripoli are there, near Meath Street.
    Great site, that's the rest of my day gone

Advertisement