Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stockholm/Copenhagen

• 03-02-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'll be in Stockholm and Copenhagen next couple of weeks (cold, I know!). Any suggestions of things to do and see appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Can't help with Copenhagen but went to Stockholm last March. Great spot.

Take a bit of time to walk around and take in places like Gamla Stan, the area around City Hall and the water, the palace and the Riksdag.

I went to the Royal Armoury Museum and the Nobel Museum. The Armoury museum is basically a history of the swedish royals. They have royal clothing, carriages, old weapons, ridiculously lavish gifts from foreign countries. I liked it, it's well done.

I also enjoyed the Nobel Museum but I think it's a bit marmite-like in whether people take to it or not.

We temporarily lost our minds and went to Skansen while it was snowing. It's a big open-air museum and zoo. The cold was brutal but it was a lot of fun.

While we were in the area, we said we might as well go across the street to the Nordic Museum. Didn't enjoy this as much as the others, the building itself was gorgeous but it was quite dry and had very detailed histories of fashion and interior decorating, which doesn't interest me. I wish we had gone to the Vasa Museum instead, which is supposed to be spectacular.

Stockholm has a ballet company which is supposed to be quite good.

Lots of people go to the Ice Bar but I think the novelty would wear off quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

copenhagen is very compact so its easy to walk to all the main attractions such as tivoli gardens, botanical gardens, frederiks church and finish off the day with a drink/snack in nyhaven

malmo is only a few minutes away by train so an easy day-trip if you have a few days in copenhagen, its worth a trip to malmo just to wander around kungsparken and see the geese that seem to number the thousands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Heading to Copenhagen on St Patricks weekend, flight cost wise made sense to go Thursday to Tuesday, thinking that might be a bit long in the one city so thinking of heading to Malmo, would you recommend just a day trip to Malmo or staying over?

Might be easier just to leave bags in Copenhagen and come back having done a day trip especially as it's going to be the Sunday/Monday night so might be very quiet in Malmo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,955 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A day trip is more than sufficient Scheming to Malmo.

Recommend taking the train to Helsingor and visiting the castle there also, and maybe merging that with Frederiksborg at Hillerod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭lc180

I highly recommend the free walking tour in Stockholm. Its a great way to see and learn about the city. Although I did the tour last May, I'm not sure what it would be like weather wise to do it in March!

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g189852-d2187739-Reviews-Free_Tour_Stockholm-Stockholm.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Have you been on your trip yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

lxflyer wrote: »
    A day trip is more than sufficient Scheming to Malmo.

Recommend taking the train to Helsingor and visiting the castle there also, and maybe merging that with Frederiksborg at Hillerod.

Sorry hadn't actually seen your recommendation before going. Didn't end up going to Malmo, it was really really cold last weekend so we wanted to be able to get back to our hostel easily enough.

I would recommend the Generator Hostel, I don't usually stay in hostels but it was great value, great location and super clean and importantly Warm!

Copenhagen is great but I'd love to go back in the summer time. Tivoli was closed, reopens in April, and the Danish Design Centre was closed too, it's either permanently closed or has moved elsewhere.

We went to the Opera which isn't our normal bag, but the theatre is amazing and we got very cheap tickets - only problem was that google translate hadn't advised me they were standing tickets! If we'd been braver we'd have snuck into empty seats just as the lights went down, but were afraid that latecomers might arrive, as it was we just popped into empty seats after the intermission.

Would recommend riz raz restaurant, particularly if you're a veggie or like your vegetables, very cheap (for Copenhagen) veggie buffet, you can also get steaks there too. Only 79kr before 4pm 99kr afterwards.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g189541-d866276-Reviews-Riz_Raz-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

I just loved wandering around Copenhagen even with the cold, very compact like Dublin, lots of stuff to see and do.

I've been to Copenhagen 4-5 times, really love it there. Love the atmosphere, the shopping and just the "Danishness" of it all!

Ive only been in Autumn/Christmas time though, never in the summer. Tivoli is a lovely night out, it does open in the winter for Halloween and at Christmas but then closes again until Easter, would really recommend it.

Took a day trip out to Roskilde one day to the fjord and Viking centre, really gorgeous place to go and see and very pretty just to stroll around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you are in Copenhagen make sure to check out Mikkeller, it's one of my favourite bars anywhere, they recently opened a second bar as well. Fantastic range of stouts and other beers.

All this talk is making me sad, I'd love to go back!

• Advertisement
Advertisement