Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I drop Irish??

• 03-02-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Heyy,
    OK so I was wondering if it would be possible to drop irish for the leaving cert. I was born in N.Ireland and I moved here when I was 3 so I had my full education here.
    I am about to do my mock irish in ordinary level soon and I am stressing out,
    Irish is my worst subject by far. I don't understand any of it, I was looking at the past papers and I cant even make out what the question means :confused:

I don't need irish for the course I want to do as it's in the north, so is it possible to drop irish? if not I would really appreciate any tips to help me calm down and actually learn something.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your school probably won't let you stop attending classes, as they would have to find someone to supervise you, but there's nothing says you have to show up for the oral or the exam.

Be very careful to check out all the implications first, including what happens if you don't get the course you want in the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

spurious wrote: »
    Your school probably won't let you stop attending classes, as they would have to find someone to supervise you, but there's nothing says you have to show up for the oral or the exam.

Be very careful to check out all the implications first, including what happens if you don't get the course you want in the north.
    I know that neither me and my sister were allowed to drop Irish and we moved here when I was almost 8, however I do know a girl who moved here when she was the same age and she hasn't studied Irish since 1st year. Apply for an NUI Exemption, I know you said your course doesn't require a pass in Irish but it might improve your chances of your school letting you drop Irish. You just fill out a form, print it off and send it away with your birth cert, should take only a few days for them to get back to you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭TheBody

Doesn't look like you can get an exemption from Irish. See here:

http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/ppc10_94.pdf

I guess it's up to you whether you sit the exam or not but it would seem that you will get an NG recorded on your record if you don't sit the exam.

Personally, I suggest you sit the exam. Even if you only did foundation level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TheBody wrote: »
    Doesn't look like you can get an exemption from Irish. See here:

http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/ppc10_94.pdf

I guess it's up to you whether you sit the exam or not but it would seem that you will get an NG recorded on your record if you don't sit the exam.

Personally, I suggest you sit the exam. Even if you only did foundation level.

If you sit no part of the exam, nothing will be recorded. You won't get an NG.
    If however, you try the oral and do badly and then don't sit the written paper, whatever marks you got for the oral will be your total.

Advertisement