Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on wheels-Bontrager

Options
  • 03-02-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

i had a crash yesterday and as a result my front wheel buckled:(

I need to replace it asap. I have a 2010 Trek 1.5 alpha with the original Bontrager 622 x 15 wheels that came with the bike. I find them fine for what i do (beginner Tri, weekend spins etc)

I know not all bike shops supply Trak/Bontrager, so have been looking online. It seems i can get a Bontrager wheel for about 70stg....i think they are called Race wheels.

What i would like to know is can i put a different wheel on? If so can any recommend one? I dont want to spend alot so under 100€ is my budget.

Also would it be advisable to get 2 new wheels so they are the same make front and back?

I will be doing 50-60km hilly/flat spins on weekends and some tri's this year.

Help please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Bontrager are "Trek" brand wheels i.e. Trek own Bontrager so you won't find them on any other bikes.

You can have two different wheels, no problems there.

For budget wheels, a lot of people use Mavic Aksium wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I certainly wouldn't pay £70 for a single Bontrager wheel. In fact, I wouldn't pay it for a pair of them. Your best bet is probably to buy a pair of decent quality budget wheels and the Aksiums as mentioned above are the most popular.

Merlin are good value for wheels with 5% off list prices and free delivery to Ireland on orders over £100. Aksiums work out about €155 delivered. If that's too much the Shimano RS10's are pretty good at around €115 delivered (though you'll have to spend another 26p to get free delivery:)).

If you really want to just get a front wheel I can sell you a brand new unused Planet X Model C for €50. It's the 32 spoke version of these.

Advertisement