Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is BTEA an obviously more attractive option than the maintanence grant?

Options
  • 03-02-2013 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Details:

1) mature student applicant for level 8 course within 15kms
    2) being receiving JA for over 3 years on a casual dockets basis, I work part-time
    3) dependent status, living at home
    4) Was always assessed on the full jobseekers rate, was never on a reduced payment for under 25's
    5) Never applied for a undergraduate course or grant of any kind
    6) my income and my parents income all together totals around €44,500 per annum, my parents accounting for at least €38000 of that and they don't supplement my income at all, although I don't have any bills to pay

Basically, to me it seems obvious to apply for BTEA instead of a maintanence grant as it works out substantially more, am I wrong in this? Why do mature students always seem so confused as to whether to apply for BTEA or maintanence, I feel like I am missing something? :confused:

My intention is to apply for BTEA as I am presuming I will get €188 per week and be able to continue working part-time without it affecting my payment (at the moment I am currently docked a certain amount for every day I work) - my understanding on BTEA is that this won't happen. And I also intend to apply to grantsonline.ie to have my fees and registration paid.

Am I correct in all of the above information or have I missed any unforeseen events or situations that could arise...bascically other peoples confusion is confusing me - as it all seems pretty obvious that BTEA gives you more money to live on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Some people in certain categories of social welfare can get both BTEA/ retain their DSP payment and get the grant.

For some people on a reduced rate of social welfare the top up special rate of grant would work out better for them, especially after this years budget.

Some people aren't clear on what the rates of grant are so they ask about both.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Some people in certain categories of social welfare can get both BTEA/ retain their DSP payment and get the grant.

For some people on a reduced rate of social welfare the top up special rate of grant would work out better for them, especially after this years budget.

Some people aren't clear on what the rates of grant are so they ask about both.

:)

Thanks for the reply. You don't happen to have any idea what categories of people retain btea, dsp payment and the grant? I doubt if I fall into that category

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thanks for the reply. You don't happen to have any idea what categories of people retain btea, dsp payment and the grant? I doubt if I fall into that category

Usually those on disability or One Parent Family payment.

Advertisement