Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

port forwarding

Options
  • 03-02-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

anyone know how to get this working. i followed the instructions on the portforward site but when i do the test it says the port is closed. i have a netopia 2247-62 router. i have tried various settings but still wont work. i am obviously missing something. any fool proof guide out there ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What are you forwarding to?
    Is there any firewall on the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

utorrent. there is a firewall on the router

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

uTorrent should do this automatically.
    Click the exclamation mark in the bottom right corner.
    Is automatic port mapping checked?

port mapping is checked

should i go back to dynamic ip address ?

Just run it as is , I have never forwarded any ports for uTorrent.
    Whether your PC has dynamic or fixed IP should be irrelevant.
    What errors are you getting when you run the network test on uTorrent?

• Advertisement

a local networking problem closed the connection (10053)

Try turning off the firewall for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

There is also a firewall normally active on Windows. Did you grant utorrent the right to change the firewall rules?

Else look here how to manually port forward:

http://portforward.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If you turn on Universal Plug and Play protocol (UPnP) in the router then the a port will automatically open for that program and close when the program is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Opening a port (port forwarding) for uTorrent makes a massive difference to you speeds and is definitely worth doing. Users who say you don't need to, have obviously not experienced the performance difference when a dedicated port is open.

In your case if you have set a static IP & opened a dedicated port correctly? you must also have uTorrent open while doing the test via a 3rd party site. Testing with the application closed will result in a return of "Not Open" (Can't see you).

Open uTorrent & run the test again ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement