Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimplex Bathroom Fan Heater

Options
  • 03-02-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

The FX20V is sold as a 2kw thermostatic bathroom heater. However when you read the instructions the thermostat only works on the 2kw setting & in a typical bathroom you have to set the heater at 1kw to prevent the thermal cut out from operating. So you might as well got a basic 1kw heater.

So you warm up the bathroom, get in the shower & the heater cuts out. The cutout effects the fan so it can take a while to cool enough to restart.

Anyone encountered this & found a way around it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Discodog wrote: »
    The FX20V is sold as a 2kw thermostatic bathroom heater. However when you read the instructions the thermostat only works on the 2kw setting & in a typical bathroom you have to set the heater at 1kw to prevent the thermal cut out from operating. So you might as well got a basic 1kw heater.

So you warm up the bathroom, get in the shower & the heater cuts out. The cutout effects the fan so it can take a while to cool enough to restart.

Anyone encountered this & found a way around it?

thermostatic and thermal cut-out
    2 different things

do you mean there's thermostatic control only on 2kw switch setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

M cebee wrote: »

thermostatic and thermal cut-out
    2 different things

do you mean there's thermostatic control only on 2kw switch setting?

Yes I understand the difference.
    And yes the thermostat only works with the 2 kw setting - it switches to 1kw when it reaches the required temperature.

Strangely, in true Boards tradition, it seems to be getting better with use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya i see that it drops down to 1kw output

has the the thermal cut-out given any trouble on 2kw setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

I am just on off chance seeing if anyone knows why Dimplex bathroom fan DIM-FX20v keeps cutting out and not coming on again until it has coolled a little. It seems same problem as posted to this thread. I was cleaning out the inside- I thought carefully and this problem only arose after I reconnected it. Any suggestions?

Yes it's a useless machine. The thermal cutout is set way too low. You need to make sure it is off & disconnected, remove the cover & switch it from 2 kw to 1 kw. So basically halve the output which makes it next to useless. You might be able to switch it back to 2kw in really cold weather but then you get out of shower & the bloody thing cuts out. Even worse it there is no overide & it takes ages to come back on.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply Discodog, my name is mud because its a small bathroom and it did a good job for 10 years; hadnt been cleaned in that time til I see all the fluff and go that has to cleaned - so moral of story is.... dont fix it if it aint broke. will do as you said when I get chance

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I've given up with the Dimplex FAN heaters (after going through three of the feckers) and have now gone to the trouble of sourcing one of their RADIANT wall heaters instead. There's really not a lot of choice when you have a small bathroom and not a lot of wall space - and live in Ireland. So, hoping for a more reliable and less noisy heat source, in a very chilly bathroom!

iora_rua wrote: »
    I've given up with the Dimplex FAN heaters (after going through three of the feckers) and have now gone to the trouble of sourcing one of their RADIANT wall heaters instead. There's really not a lot of choice when you have a small bathroom and not a lot of wall space - and live in Ireland. So, hoping for a more reliable and less noisy heat source, in a very chilly bathroom!

Keep us posted. I still think that it's possible to bypass or remove the cut out. I wonder if I could get a circuit diagram.
    You would of thought that cleaning it out would make it better. I think that I will just install a small ceramic fan heater with a remote cord switch. I have one in the house & it's excellent

So eventually got chance to take heater cover off - no biggie of course but just flicked to 1kw on switch - simple. Except if you lit a match in the room it would be more effective so thanks for suggestion anyway as it makes same noise etc. When I have complaints about output I will say wear more clothes in the bathroom :P

It really is a pile of poo. I wouldn't buy Dimplex again. I have a ceramic fan heater which strangely can run at full output for hours without overheating.

The Dimplex is dangerous in the sense that, if it doesn't work, people are more likely to bring another heater in the bathroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

OK, so I've now got the radiant bathroom heater I was waffling about. However, need to gather in a few other electrical upgrades around the house before calling on the electrician to join up all the dots, so to speak! Will report back on how things go.

Re cleaning out those Dimplex wall heaters ... tried that, but the thing worked for about two weeks before shutting off again. After another thorough clean, it still only staggered on for a week or so before conking out yet again. Now, we just flick it on for as long as it lasts and then turn it off. Can't wait to get the new yoke installed!

Advertisement