Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain for a FUTURE business?

• 03-02-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hi all, not sure if I am in the right place but perhaps someone can point me in the right direction if not.. :)

I am working in a very small business that does not have a website. I am buying the business soon and want to set up a website, however i can't really get started on this 'till i own the business. I will probably use a .ie website address (it is a small local business-not international, its medical related).
    Anyway, i looked at a hosting site Hosting Ireland and the name i want is available in .ie format (although not available in .com format).
    It will be a couple of months before i can set up the website but is there anything stopping me buying the name? I am just surprised that the address i have in mind is not in use by someone else in the area in a similar profession, and i do know someone who is considering a similar business, its an obvious website name to use for someone in my career. Would it make sense spend 20 quid, put the .ie website address in my name which i could then use in a couple of months time when i get the website designed?

Thanks a mil to anyone who has a clue about these things..i certainly don't myself!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Given that the total potential downside is €20 live dangerously and register the domain.

.ie domains aren't a free for all like their .com equivalents, there are requirements you need to meet to qualify for a .ie domain:

https://www.iedr.ie/registrations-policy/

Look up discretionary names (section 11) as this is probably the most relevant to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Graham wrote: »
    Given that the total potential downside is €20 live dangerously and register the domain.

.ie domains aren't a free for all like their .com equivalents, there are requirements you need to meet to qualify for a .ie domain:

https://www.iedr.ie/registrations-policy/

Look up discretionary names (section 11) as this is probably the most relevant to you.

Thanks Graham, can be done for even less than €20 too it seems. I'll register the name and maybe another one i had in mind and hopefully i can get working on the site after.

Advertisement