Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and likelihood of infection

Options
  • 03-02-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

So I have wanted a tattoo for a few years now but I take medicine which thins my blood. It suppresses my immune system and I tend to pick up infections a lot and I have a slower healing process.

My consultant has told me I can get a tattoo. I just want to know everything I can regarding healing before I go ahead with it.

How likely is it that a tattoo could get infected and what happens if it does? Has anyone else here gotten tattoos despite having poor health? Do I have to inform the tattoo artist of my situation?

Any information would be great as I am a total newbie and haven't a clue!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    So I have wanted a tattoo for a few years now but I suffer from a long-term illness and take a drug which thins my blood. It suppresses my immune system and I tend to pick up infections a lot and I have a slower healing process.

If it thins your blood do you bleed more easily or for longer??

My consultant has told me I can get a tattoo. I just want to know everything I can regarding healing before I go ahead with it.

Well if your consultant says its ok then Id tend to go with their superior medical knowledge.
    As for healing theres loads of different ways of healing a tattoo.
    Personally I use the "leave it the feck alone" method.No cling film,wash it twice a day in the hottest water you can tolerate with a mild antibacterial soap-rinse with cold water and then use johnstons baby lotion to moisturise it.
    How likely is it that a tattoo could get infected and what happens if it does?

Ive said it before and Ill say it again.Ive never seen an infected tattoo.I have seen tattoos that look scabby and weeping but never a full on infection.Usually this is down to poor aftercare ie not looking after it properly.Constantly touching it.Letting clothes rub off it etc.In the case of clothes Id recommend a sterile dressing loosely covering it to stop the clothes rubbing off it.Cling film is a no-no in my opinion although others swear by it.
    Has anyone else here gotten tattoos despite having poor health? Do I have to inform the tattoo artist of my situation?

Never gotten one in poor health but I would inform the tattooist alright just so they know that you may be liable to bleed more than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Got my first one the other day.
    1. Cling film wrapped the moment it was finished, taped in place to keep it secure, didn't take it off until the next day (finished at 8pm, took off the cling film at 9am the next day).
    2. Rinsed it with lukewarm water (some people say hot water, shouldn't matter), antibacterial soap (Dettol for sensitive skin works great, it's a clear liquid soap), let it air dry (took 2 minutes), applied bepanthen (just a coating, not like sun screen) and rewrapped it for another 5 or 6 hours.
    3. Washed it and rewrapped it for the whole day and the next day then stopped, kept bepanthen on it as soon as it felt dry (you'll feel it when it's dry) and it's perfect, no scabs, no blood, no pain.
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    Cling film is a no-no in my opinion although others swear by it.

I heard very mixed opinions about cling film, for me cling film was very important initially and I don't think the healing would have been as rapid if I hadn't used it for two days., but shouldn't be used for too long.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dermighty wrote: »

I heard very mixed opinions about cling film, for me cling film was very important initially and I don't think the healing would have been as rapid if I hadn't used it for two days., but shouldn't be used for too long.

Its just something I have a real problem with.I know I keep harping on about it but think about it for a minute.

What to anerobic bacteria need to thrive??

1.An oxygen free environment--check
    2.Supply of food ie the crap that oozes out of a tattoo when you wrap it in cling film ---check
    3.Heat which is what clingfilm does to your tattoo.It makes it basically a greenhouse for non aerobic bacteria to grow in.---check

Staph is anerobic.

And MRSA is a variant of Staph.

Just makes no sense to me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

You're totally correct. The reason it was necessary for me was because I got the work done, then I was heading out afterwards (seeing as I travelled to Dublin to get the tattoo and I went up with a few friends). So the cling film prevented the t-shirt from irritating my skin any further apart while I was moving, dancing, wading through the crowd etc.

So for that I'm glad, but otherwise I would imagine it's counterproductive, the same as putting on too much cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Tbh, I found that clingfilm wasn't great for me for healing, except in places where clothing would irritate the skin. When I got two on my lower calves, I just wore skirts til they healed, didn't cover them. My arms, I covered, but replaced the cling film every few hours. Both methods worked fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Aye, 7th tattoo just finished and never had cling film on any of them. And I've used three different artists so it's not like I go to the one guy and he just doesn't use it.

Advertisement