Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb stew slow cooker

Options
  • 03-02-2013 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I want to make this stew this week, but want to make it in the slow cooker if possible, but I'm unsure about cooking time/temperature, what would you say is the best time/temperature for cooking it? I'd love for the meat to be nice and tender hence why I was hoping to do it in the slow cooker so the meat has longer to cook and would be more tender, or would a shorter cooking time be better? I don't have a proper casserole dish only a Pyrex dish with a lid.

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/info/3645/lamb-stew-hot-pot%C2%A0/

All help/suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've made lamb stew in both the oven and the slow cooker, and I either give it 3 hours in the oven at 160C, 4-5 hours on high in the slow cooker or 8-10 on low.
    To make your recipe in the slow cooker, you'd need to put the veg in on the bottom, and you'd need to cook your potatoes separately because they just don't cook as well in the slow cooker. You'd also need to reduce the amount of stock.
    If it was me making that recipe I'd make it in the oven because I think it would turn out nicer. That way you can make it complete with the potatoes on top. I find that unless you're using tomatoes/wine/spices/peppers or anything strong flavoured, stews and casseroles made in the slow cooker can be a bit bland.
    Your recipe looks really nice, and I definitely wouldn't cook it for less time than they say.
    Here's the one I usually make: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lambredwineandrosema_71047

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I've made lamb stew in both the oven and the slow cooker, and I either give it 3 hours in the oven at 160C, 4-5 hours on high in the slow cooker or 8-10 on low.
    To make your recipe in the slow cooker, you'd need to put the veg in on the bottom, and you'd need to cook your potatoes separately because they just don't cook as well in the slow cooker. You'd also need to reduce the amount of stock.
    If it was me making that recipe I'd make it in the oven because I think it would turn out nicer. That way you can make it complete with the potatoes on top. I find that unless you're using tomatoes/wine/spices/peppers or anything strong flavoured, stews and casseroles made in the slow cooker can be a bit bland.
    Your recipe looks really nice, and I definitely wouldn't cook it for less time than they say.
    Here's the one I usually make: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lambredwineandrosema_71047
    Thanks so much Dizzy, I'll do it in the oven so, going to make it on Tuesday, will report back on how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you checked out this thread?
    It may contain advice from a similar recipe already posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Have you checked out this thread?
    It may contain advice from a similar recipe already posted.

I did, and the only recipes I can find there are linked to the Irish Times and I would need to subscribe to view the recipe, which I won't do, when there are plenty of free recipes available on the net.

Advertisement