Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any non apple lightning connectors that work?

• 03-02-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are any non apple lightning connectors that work with docking units.

I know there are plenty of cheap ones out there but customers report back that they are only good for charging.

I spoke to a chap in dixons who said that if I wanted one that would work with my iPhone 4 compatible docks then only apple made connectors will work.

Surely this can't be right!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

ads20101 wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are any non apple lightning connectors that work with docking units.

I know there are plenty of cheap ones out there but customers report back that they are only good for charging.

I spoke to a chap in dixons who said that if I wanted one that would work with my iPhone 4 compatible docks then only apple made connectors will work.

Surely this can't be right!!

Firstly have you got an iPhone 4 or 5? The lightning connector is only on the iPhone 5, iPad mini, iPad (4th Gen) and iPod (5th Gen). All devices before that used the standard 30 pin dock connector.

If you meant to write iPhone 5, then I know a few have gotten cables from dx.com that have worked no problem. Also very cheap compared to the official Apple cables. They work to sync and charge no problem.

Another things is generally the unofficial cables will sync data no problem but often don't charge the device. Not the other way around.

A lot of people have unofficial cables that work fine with docks and accessories. Maybe try dx.com as they're cheap and ship to Ireland for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

DubDJ wrote: »

Firstly have you got an iPhone 4 or 5? The lightning connector is only on the iPhone 5, iPad mini, iPad (4th Gen) and iPod (5th Gen). All devices before that used the standard 30 pin dock connector.

If you meant to write iPhone 5, then I know a few have gotten cables from dx.com that have worked no problem. Also very cheap compared to the official Apple cables. They work to sync and charge no problem.

Another things is generally the unofficial cables will sync data no problem but often don't charge the device. Not the other way around.

A lot of people have unofficial cables that work fine with docks and accessories. Maybe try dx.com as they're cheap and ship to Ireland for free.

Thanks for that.

I should've made myself a bit clearer. I have an iPhone 4 at the mo but will be getting a 5 soon.

I have 2 docks in my house that work with my iPhone 4 for charging & for playing music and Internet radio. I really don't want to be buying new docks so when I get my iPhone 5 I was looking for a connector that will still allow me to use them.

Dubdj - can you pop up a link to one that you know works well. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

http://dx.com/p/usb-male-to-8-pin-lighting-male-charging-cable-for-iphone-5-white-100cm-157994

Bought 3 of these, took about 3weeks to deliver. Cheap as chips, all working fine. Recommended!

Looks a good USB charging and sync lead.

What I am looking for is a 30pin to lightning connector.

There appears to be quite a few out there and all seem to charge and sync, but all the feedback (except the official apple ones) do not allow audio throughput.

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these adapters to listen to music directly through a docking speaker / hifi?

Thanks for that.

I should've made myself a bit clearer. I have an iPhone 4 at the mo but will be getting a 5 soon.

I have 2 docks in my house that work with my iPhone 4 for charging & for playing music and Internet radio. I really don't want to be buying new docks so when I get my iPhone 5 I was looking for a connector that will still allow me to use them.

Dubdj - can you pop up a link to one that you know works well. Cheers

So it's the lightning to 30 pin adapter you need. I'm not too sure about that tbh. You could try this one from dx. Seems decent and not bad for €5. Worth a try I suppose. In the comments somebody says it works no problem with their dock.

• Advertisement

So it's the lightning to 30 pin adapter you need. I'm not too sure about that tbh. You could try this one from dx. Seems decent and not bad for €5. Worth a try I suppose. In the comments somebody says it works no problem with their dock.

Had a look and like yourself, I think it's worth a punt.

Cheers for the info

Had a look and like yourself, I think it's worth a punt.

Cheers for the info

Arrived - doesn't work

Arrived - doesn't work

I'm guessing its just the audio that doesn't work yeah?

I'm guessing its just the audio that doesn't work yeah?

Nope.

No charge

No sync

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Arrived - doesn't work

How long where you waiting I ordered 6 USB lighting charge cables from DX on January 14 still have not received the order

• Advertisement

fox007 wrote: »

How long where you waiting I ordered 6 USB lighting charge cables from DX on January 14 still have not received the order

24 days

From what I can gather most people that have ordered from dx have not had issues.

I'm sure that I am just one of the unlucky ones

Nope.

No charge

No sync

That's a strange one. Most people have nothing but good to say about DX. I haven't gotten any cables myself, just a dock which I haven't tried yet. But they seem to be a reliable site. Maybe just a dodgey connector with yours. Pity, especially with such a long wait for it for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Nope.

No charge

No sync

Stange, just to be sure, you're not using a cover on your phone are you? Cause with 99% of the covers the adapter won't fit properly, so remove the case and try again. Also did you try it with your regular apple cable&charger? (I mean the one from your iphone 4) If it still doesn't work report it to dx and they send you a new one or a refund (might only give store credit).

@fox007
    Ordered frequently from dx, orders take between 2-5 weeks to arrive (it's free so I'm not complaining). You ordered 6 so I guess you ordered bulk rate with EMS shipping? Sorry to say but that actually takes longer than regular shipping (my experience anyway).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

24 days

From what I can gather most people that have ordered from dx have not had issues.

I'm sure that I am just one of the unlucky ones

Email them. They will send a replacement straight away. Happened me before with a cable for my 4.

Advertisement