Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has this ever happened to anybody else?

Options
  • 03-02-2013 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I got Christmas work from the 2nd of November to the 24th of December just gone. I was working flexi time.

I went down to the labour to sign off but was told by someone who worked there not too because I was entitled to "slips" which I would put a "X" for everyday I worked and a "O" for everyday I did not.

Anyways I went down on I think the 4th of January to tell them I was no longer working but was told that I would not receive payments until I went to a meeting on the 28th of January which I needed letters from the council, my Mothers P45 etc. I got all of the information needed and went to the meeting, there I was told that I was being means tested? even though my claim is still opened? I was also told in the meeting that I WAS being paid and my money was going into my local post office even though I was told my money would not be there.

After I was told I was still receiving money since the 5th of January I went down to my post office and was able to collect that week and the week gones money. But then the next day I went down to the welfare and was told my account is now "frozen" until the means test is done.

The attitude of one of the workers down there (wont mention names) was really REALLY bad, I mean I have never had to deal with someone that bad before.

I handed in my slips in 2 weeks beofre xmas and still have not heard anything from them..

has this ever happened to anyone else?

Thanks for any responses :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Can we presume that you are on JSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭G.Murphy

mp22 wrote: »
    Can we presume that you are on JSA?

Sorry should have mentioned that. Yes I am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah, this happened to us too. We supplied payslips, gave a copy of the contract and told Welfare in writing when my husband started and finished his contract. They STILL closed the claim, forcing us to to go to the CWO to get some money until the claim was settled. Took eight weeks, whilst they means-tested us again. AND they still managed to **** up the claim!!

Yeah, this happened to us too. We supplied payslips, gave a copy of the contract and told Welfare in writing when my husband started and finished his contract. They STILL closed the claim, forcing us to to go to the CWO to get some money until the claim was settled. Took eight weeks, whilst they means-tested us again. AND they still managed to **** up the claim!!

Thanks for the reply, was just making sure because I have never seen this done. Think they have made a balls of my claim too !

cheers for the reply.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

One further question when you informed the dept that you had some part time work, did they give you forms to be filled in by your employer?

• Advertisement

One further question when you informed the dept that you had some part time work, did they give you forms to be filled in by your employer?

Yes they did :)
    To be honest though I cannot actually remember what was on the form just remember having to leave it with personnel.

I remember them saying that they where going to swich my claim to "casual work" I think it was.

G.Murphy wrote: »
    I remember them saying that they where going to swich my claim to "casual work" I think it was.
    When you go on casual JSA the earnings you are going to get have to be means tested,If this has not been done it could lead to you claim being frozen.

The above is not a excuse for the dept just a possibility of what might be happening.

When you go on casual JSA the earnings you are going to get have to be means tested,If this has not been done it could lead to you claim being frozen.

The above is not a excuse for the dept just a possibility of what might be happening.

I was already means tested on JSA before.. maybe they just need to do it again? just never seen this happen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

G.Murphy wrote: »
    I was already means tested on JSA before.. maybe they just need to do it again? just never seen this happen before.

As MP22 said when you go on casual your means from the work that you are currently doing have to be assessed in order to give a daily rate for your casual claim. While this is happening your claim is payment suspended so that you will not be overpaid. Once this is processed you will be paid for this period and then your means should revert to what they were before you went on casual. In your case it appears they left your payment run when you were casually employed so they may need to assess an overpayment for this period.

Also you state that you left the forms with personnel....did you return them to sw office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

When you go casual there is a means review to take into account the amount of income you are getting for the days you are working. This assessment should only be for the casual period. If you provide a P45 they should be able to pay you the same rate as before, from when you finished work. If you we're overpaid they might suspend the payment until the full assessment is completed.
    While you are on casual X's are for not working and O's are for working.
    You should go to the CWO for payment until this is sorted out.

Advertisement