Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the 1st of Febuary the first day of spring?

Options
  • 03-02-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

I always thought that the first day of March was classed as the first day of Spring?

I was brought up in the UK, Im sure we were taught that the seasons were as follows:

Dec, Jan, Feb=Winter
    March, April, May=Spring
    June, July, August=Summer
    Sept, October, Nov=Autumn

Perhaps the seasons are different in the UK compared to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MostlyLurks

Been wondering for ages myself but never at the same time as sitting beside a computer until I saw your post.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055821203

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Look up Seasonal lag. Meteorology speaking spring starts March 01st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

pagan festival....
    astronomical spring i believe is mar 20th this year

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Spring being on the 1st of February is the tradition of the Celtic seasons. The Celts and even the people before them used to track the sun to tell what time of year they had by referencing the sun.

This all makes sense when you think that the summer solstice is the 21st - 22nd of June (around what is know as mid-summer) and the winter solstice is around the 21st - 22nd of December (around what is know as mid-winter).

The more modern meteorological seasons run one month off from the Celtic seasons, as they more align to the type of weather you would expect to see during those seasons. As on average December to March would be the coldest months, with the most snow frosts etc, so then these would from a meteorological point of view be Winter.

I always liked the Celtic system, as it aligns more with mid-summer and mid-winter, with each being in the middle of summer/winter. It also aligns more with the change in length of the days.

From a weather point of view December/January/February are Winter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The names for September (Meán Fómhair) and October (Deireadh Fómhair) translate directly as "middle of autumn" and "end of autumn".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i saw snowdrops yesterday (it also lets weather presenters say not much sign of spring yet")

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭maherball

In the traditional Celtic calendar the 1st of Feb is the start of spring, we have hung onto this since then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

i saw snowdrops yesterday (it also lets weather presenters say not much sign of spring yet")

There were snowdrops in my garden weeks ago. And there are a few primroses up too

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Last year summer was on March 27th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Last year summer was on March 27th

Don't be ridiculous its been winter here for 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Spindle wrote: »
    Spring being on the 1st of February is the tradition of the Celtic seasons. The Celts and even the people before them used to track the sun to tell what time of year they had by referencing the sun.

This all makes sense when you think that the summer solstice is the 21st - 22nd of June (around what is know as mid-summer) and the winter solstice is around the 21st - 22nd of December (around what is know as mid-winter).

The more modern meteorological seasons run one month off from the Celtic seasons, as they more align to the type of weather you would expect to see during those seasons. As on average December to March would be the coldest months, with the most snow frosts etc, so then these would from a meteorological point of view be Winter.

I always liked the Celtic system, as it aligns more with mid-summer and mid-winter, with each being in the middle of summer/winter. It also aligns more with the change in length of the days.

From a weather point of view December/January/February are Winter though.

A.... don't know about that :D:D

B.... It's fecking like winter here about 11 months of the year, give or take a month :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Because Harry didn't get his wish. :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBe8xXJSpY

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Kat1170 wrote: »
    A.... don't know about that :D:D

B.... It's fecking like winter here about 11 months of the year, give or take a month :D:D

As we all know, winter=very cold rain, spring=cool rain, summer=warm rain, autumn=cold rain. :D

Although I do think someone should have a word with the weather, doesn't (it, he, she, they..) ever check the calendar, it is a bit like and Irish bus, doesn't know what time it is meant to arrive, turns up the wrong day or late, or even the wrong place.

We need EU regulation to regulate this chaotic weather fellow to slot into out nice defined seasons. Just think of the confused children ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

red_bairn wrote: »
    "In Ireland spring traditionally starts on 1 February, St Brigid's Day,[7] although Irish meteorologists consider the whole of February to be part of winter"-SOURCE

Were talking road conditions which weather is one of the biggest determining factors so it should be still winter as far as the AAA are concerned. Either way Snow in spring wouldnt be a shocker either!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Spring doesn't start until 1 March?? Where is all this February rubbish coming from??

Summer starts in 1 June and ends on 1 September.

The MET office is constantly saying that. I grew up in Ireland and always learned that Spring started officially in March.:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Were talking road conditions which weather is one of the biggest determining factors so it should be still winter as far as the AAA are concerned. Either way Snow in spring wouldnt be a shocker either!

Whoa. I'm tired today. I reread what you wrote and thought you said that it's well into Spring now. :rolleyes:

I remember a few years ago we had some snow in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    I grew up in Ireland and always learned that Spring started officially in March.:):):):)
    Don't know what school you went to, we were always taught that spring started on 1st February.

This is actually astronomical Spring. Astronomically speaking, the most intense sunshine on Ireland is between 1st May and 31st July and the least between 1st Nov and 31st Jan.

However primarily because of the sea, there's a meteorological "lag" of about a month while the sea temperatures adjust. Basically in May the sea is still bloody freezing from the Winter, so our weather stays cool, and in November the seas are still warm from Summer, so the weather stays a bit warmer.

It's also why August and September are traditionally our best months for weather - because the seas have reach peak warmth from the sunshine over the summer.

I've heard 1st March being called the start of meteorological Spring, but I've never heard anyone say it's the actual start of Spring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

seamus wrote: »
    Don't know what school you went to, we were always taught that spring started on 1st February.

This is actually astronomical Spring. Astronomically speaking, the most intense sunshine on Ireland is between 1st May and 31st July and the least between 1st Nov and 31st Jan.

However primarily because of the sea, there's a meteorological "lag" of about a month while the sea temperatures adjust. Basically in May the sea is still bloody freezing from the Winter, so our weather stays cool, and in November the seas are still warm from Summer, so the weather stays a bit warmer.

I've heard 1st March being called the start of meteorological Spring, but I've never heard anyone say it's the actual start of Spring :)

Eh .. no... astronomically the 1st day of spring is March 20 on the vernal equinox . :rolleyes: .. my schools always learnt it as March 1st being Spring.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Eh .. no... astronomically the 1st day of spring is March 20 on the vernal equinox . :rolleyes: .. my schools always learnt it as March 1st being Spring.

You've got that wrong there.

The Summer solstice is mid-summer. The equinoxes are mid-spring and mid-autumn. If the Spring is 3 months long and the mid-point occurs in March, then the Spring starts in February.

Otherwise what you're saying is that atsronomical summer doesn't start until 21 June - when the amount of sunlight starts to decrease. Which makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

The Summer solstice is mid-summer. The equinoxes are mid-spring and mid-autumn. If the Spring is 3 months long and the mid-point occurs in March, then the Spring starts in February.

Otherwise what you're saying is that atsronomical summer doesn't start until 21 June - when the amount of sunlight starts to decrease. Which makes no sense.

I had been taught in school that spring began on 1st Feb. According to wikipedia though, I'm wrong.

"Meteorological seasons are reckoned by temperature, with summer being the hottest quarter of the year and winter the coldest quarter of the year. Using this reckoning, the Roman calendar began the year and the spring season on the first of March, with each season occupying three months. In 1780 the Societas Meteorologica Palatina, an early international organization for meteorology, defined seasons as groupings of three whole months. Ever since, professional meteorologists all over the world have used this definition.[7] Therefore, for the Northern hemisphere, spring begins on 1 March, summer on 1 June, autumn on 1 September, and winter on 1 December"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Meteorologically Speaking all CLIMATE DATA for SPRING starts on the 1st of March. Astronomically speaking , spring starts 20th of March and yes , 21st of June is then the Astronomical start of Summer.
    equinox(1).jpg

Only just realised this was the Ramping thread and not the " 1st day of spring debate thread" :rolleyes:

:)
    Meteorological seasons are reckoned by temperature, with summer being the hottest quarter of the year and winter the coldest quarter of the year.
    That's exactly what I'm saying. In astronomical terms, the Earth's tilt towards the sun is at it's maximum (for us) between 1 May and 31 July (give or take). However because we don't live on a piece of bare rock, these changes aren't immediately reflected on the ground, instead there's a lag of a month or so. So meteorologically the warmest months are more like 1 June to 31 August.

We were taught the astronomical seasons in school. I was actually out of college before I realised that the astronomical seasons don't match up with the reality on the ground :o

Edit: Apologies Iancar, I didn't realise that "Astronomical Summer" was an actual term, you're right. Seems bizarre though that they would label it "summer" when the sunlight is in decline.

Any road, it all means the same thing. We still have at least 3 more weeks of "winter" in which to see some lovely white gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Astronomical summer has nothing to do with the length of the day in our particular part of the world.

Its annoying when this keeps coming up, the Weather Forum is about the science (mostly) so Meteorological seasons are what are referred to. Its what your TV forecasters refer to also.

Just because some Nun told you St. Bridgets day is the start of spring, or the pre-christians of Ireland went with Feb 1st, its not the basis of the seasons in common and scientific use in the 21st Century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

This is a weather thread not a phd in season studies. It's still Winter offically until the 5th of March. True story

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

redman wrote: »
    pagan festival....
    astronomical spring i believe is mar 20th this year
    Exactly. It's a very old pagan festival that celebrates the return of the light at the halfway point between the mid winter solstice and the spring equinox and has nothing to do with the weather getting warmer because it doesn't - Feb isn't any warmer than Jan.
    With the arrival of christianity this festival became Candlemas (2nd Feb)
    the candle obviously represents light.
    All pagan festivals revolved around the passage of the sun and the seasons, the halfway points between solstices and the equinoxes were very important occasions, Halloween or Samhain being the obvious one.
    I would say St Patrick's Day was originally a festival marking the spring equinox before christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wheel_of_the_Year.svg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I agree that Feb 1 isn't Spring. However, to be fair to our celtic ancestors, they were sun worhsippers ( hence new grange) and they were aware of the angles of the Sun in the sky during the year. And it is at it's lowest about November, December and Jan.

( Pre-Christianity they didn't have the same months, so Samhain was probably a bit later by two weeks, and so too the start of Spring)

The European meteorological seasons make sense, the American meteorological season makes very little sense, effectively beginning Summer in mid Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I agree that Feb 1 isn't Spring. However, to be fair to our celtic ancestors, they were sun worhsippers ( hence new grange) and they were aware of the angles of the Sun in the sky during the year. And it is at it's lowest about November, December and Jan.

( Pre-Christianity they didn't have the same months, so Samhain was probably a bit later by two weeks, and so too the start of Spring)

The European meteorological seasons make sense, the American meteorological season makes very little sense, effectively beginning Summer in mid Summer.

The "Celts" were not the builders of Newgrange."Celts" has to be the most overused and misused term in anthropology.

Advertisement