Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players not celebrating goals against old clubs?

• 03-02-2013 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Just listening to lads on Sky talking about this and wondering what people's take on it is.

Is it a mark of respect to your old club or lack of respect to your current club?

I would probably see it as don't over do it (Adebayor style) but enjoy it as its what your supposed to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Just listening to lads on Sky talking about this and wondering what people's take on it is.

Is it a mark of respect to your old club or lack of respect to your current club?

I would probably see it as don't over do it (Adebayor style) but enjoy it as its what your supposed to do.
    Current way is fine. Nice mark of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Its up to the individual

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Depends on the relationship with the former club I imagine. Was appreciated by Bohs fans when Forrester didn't celebrate his goal against us last season.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

In Sturridge's case I'm all for it if means we don't have to see that daft dance thing he does

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

For me it would depend on how the crowd welcomed me. Larsson didn't celebrate when he scored against Celtic because he was still adored by the fans (and he oozes class).

If I was Demba Ba I'd get it right up the Mags if I scored against them.

Actually here's an article about the Larsson thing where it talks about respect to your current club etc http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/henrik-larsson-exclusive-why-i-didnt-celebrate-1040810

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I find it even more incongruous how much players celebrate goals, but barely bat an eye-lid when the final whistle blows and they win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I find it even more incongruous how much players celebrate goals, but barely bat an eye-lid when the final whistle blows and they win the game.
    Euphoria vs relief I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Because the final whistle, and usually the result that comes with it doesn't come out of the blue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

For me it would depend on how the crowd welcomed me. Larsson didn't celebrate when he scored against Celtic because he was still adored by the fans (and he oozes class).

If I was Demba Ba I'd get it right up the Mags if I scored against them.

Actually here's an article about the Larsson thing where it talks about respect to your current club etc http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/henrik-larsson-exclusive-why-i-didnt-celebrate-1040810

And why is that..?

I assume you are purely basing this on the grounds of Ba getting an unfortunate kick to the nose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Unless they have a long history with the club they've scored against I find it a bit cringey, to each their own though.

Bit stupid not celebrating a goal out of respect and then diving like Sturridge today though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Doocey wrote: »
    And why is that..?

I assume you are purely basing this on the grounds of Ba getting an unfortunate kick to the nose?
    I'd imagine it's based more-so on the booing of Ba yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Load of nonsense, you've scored for the team paying your wages so be happy about it.

There's feck all loyalty in football anyway so not celebrating is just masking the charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Imagine how brilliant it would be if teams celebrated like that at the final whistle.

Picture the scene, Liverpool beat Southampton 1-0 on a dour Monday night in the middle of November. Final whistle goes and the players go absolutely wild, Gerrard starts kissing the Camera, Suarez kisses his arm, Enrique kisses Henderson. Joe Allen does a triple front flip and lands it with perfect execution, Stewart Downing does the Roger Milla dance with the corner flag, Martin Skrtle tries his best to muster a smile all while Brendan Rodgers does a lap of the pitch in 1982 Tardelliesque ectasy!!!!

YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHSSSSSS!!!

I want to see this sh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Celebrating is fine, provided it is kept low key. If you go mental then it's a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

For me the way RVP celebrated his goal against arsenal was close to perfect, small acknowledgement of his goal with a fist pump and hugged his team mates when they jumped on him but didn't overdo it or rub the fans faces in it as he obviously has huge respect for the club.

Everything the man does oozes class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

They predict it will be the reason Robbie Keane is forced to retire from club football,

We all know he loves to celebrate a goal, but based on current statistics he will soon run out of clubs to be able to celebrate scoring against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I love when an ex player scores against his old club and celebrates, like I really hope(and expect) CR7 will do some great celebration when he scores against ManUtd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I love when an ex player scores against his old club and celebrates, like I really hope(and expect) CR7 will do some great celebration when he scores against ManUtd.

I really dont see that happening . . He loves the club and our fans have shown him more respect, loyalty and love then the shower of spoilt children at his current club . .

Id sooner expect him to be celebrating with United players if we score . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I think it is illegal to celebrate against your former club in Argentina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Not celebrating is a nice touch but pretending like you are sad about it and hanging your head low is laughable. Crack a smile, high five your team mates, walk back to the half line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

The respect argument doesn't carry a lot of weight for me. If it's respectful to your former club, what about your current one? I didn't think much of van Persie's carry on earlier this season. He was "respectful" enough to release a letter totally undermining Arsenal in the summer, and then in October he can't even raise his arm against them? Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

More hyperbole from Sky. I love seeing a player not celebrating when scoring against a former club. Nice mark of respect, no matter how small it is. In a game mostly driven by greed and dishonesty in the modern era, it's nice to see a few seconds of humility and respect at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Imagine how brilliant it would be if teams celebrated like that at the final whistle.

Picture the scene, Liverpool beat Southampton 1-0 on a dour Monday night in the middle of November. Final whistle goes and the players go absolutely wild, Gerrard starts kissing the Camera, Suarez kisses his arm, Enrique kisses Henderson. Joe Allen does a triple front flip and lands it with perfect execution, Stewart Downing does the Roger Milla dance with the corner flag, Martin Skrtle tries his best to muster a smile all while Brendan Rodgers does a lap of the pitch in 1982 Tardelliesque ectasy!!!!

YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHSSSSSS!!!

I want to see this sh1t!

You, sir, just made me lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHSSSSSS!!!

I want to see this sh1t!
    I'm impressed that as a Liverpool fan you stayed at a realistic level of fiction. You could have veered dangerously towards full PL winner mode, nobody would have blamed you, with the level of celebrations you are talking about but the dour 1-0 against Southampton is just about believable :pac:

I'm impressed that as a Liverpool fan you stayed at a realistic level of fiction. You could have veered dangerously towards full PL winner mode, nobody would have blamed you, with the level of celebrations you are talking about but the dour 1-0 against Southampton is just about believable :pac:

5612_103068152029_1919915_a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

EdenHazard wrote: »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/21/cristiano-ronaldo-real-madrid-manchester-united
    "I won't celebrate if I score against United," Ronaldo told the Spanish newspaper AS. "I still speak with Ferguson. I miss him a lot, and I miss Manchester United. I felt very good there, it was like a family.

"I had six great years there and am still friends with my team-mates. It is thanks to Manchester United that I am here playing for Real Madrid. Without them, I wouldn't be the player I am today."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I think not celebrating against your old club is a load of shit. Doesn't matter if the player played with my team before, he isn't here now so fuck him. Let him do what he likes.

Don't see how some get so offended over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

VW 1 wrote: »
    For me the way RVP celebrated his goal against arsenal was close to perfect, small acknowledgement of his goal with a fist pump and hugged his team mates when they jumped on him but didn't overdo it or rub the fans faces in it as he obviously has huge respect for the club.

Everything the man does oozes class.

Tell that to his wife...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I think not celebrating (or overdoing it) is okay in certain circumstances, like Ronaldo vs Man United or if Del Piero ever scored vs Juventus for example. But players doing it when they forced their way out of the previous club or trash talked them to the papers is just nonsensical and attention-seeking.

Was glas to hear Balotelli's response when he was asked if he would celebrate should he score vs Inter in the derby.

"I would celebrate... Definitely" :D

Advertisement