Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from kids in apartment

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Millions of families lived or have been raised in apartment's throughout Europe for generation's and yet here its a case ohh they have uncontrollable kids running amok up and down corridors and actually playing inside there homes seem's the problem is more anti child agenda's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Gatling wrote: »
    Millions of families lived or have been raised in apartment's throughout Europe for generation's and yet here its a case ohh they have uncontrollable kids running amok up and down corridors and actually playing inside there homes seem's the problem is more anti child agenda's

The OP and their advocate said the person complaining was complaining about nosie, including hoovering that definitely occured at 7pm, no later than 7pm, but definitely no latter than 8pm.
    Id wonder myself with that level of uncertainty, was it definitely 10 or 11pm.
    Either way, they themselves said the complaint was about noise. If thats a concern for someone, you wont really care where its coming from, the noise is the issue.
    I dont think here we have the background in apartment living and the rules that need to be applied to ensure everyone has a fair and peacful life, Ive never seen an apartment complex with the facilites or green space around some of the places I have either seen personally or in pictures in mainland Europe. Also its seems very likely the construction standards are either not there or not applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Merch wrote: »
    including hoovering that definitely occured at 7pm, no later than 7pm, but definitely no latter than 8pm.

I live in a complex where I can hear my neighbours hoovers, and sweet lord even at 4 in the day, it is loud, I think that complex seems as shoddily built as mine.

And that is one of the problem's shoddy builds ,I'm living in apartment's since I was 17 I'm 34 now I've pretty much seen and heard it all ,I received 1 warning letter from a management company in all that time regarding noise the complaint was malisous one neighbour rang the management company saying loud music had been playing at 3pm it then transpired the neighbour who supposedly made the complaint knew nothing of the complaint as she was away for 3 months with her job the real complainent turned out to have had 20+ tenants evicted from apartments on 3 different floors to the point he was taken to court by a group of landlord for harresment of tenants ,it seem some people will never be happy no matter the situation

Carlito88 wrote: »

:D:D:D No frozenfrozen im a very close friend to the op and his wife, myself and my husband advised them to post here, to try and see what other peoples advice and experience... I was following the post and just had to reply, they are obviously too busy keeping the kids quiet this evening :):) Because I also happen to work with the op and maintain daily contact with his wife I can assure u the hoovering took place at 7pm i would say very very latest at 8pm it was also in the middle of summer!!! :eek: There was no hoovers been thrown and no shouting...I completely understand your suspicions...
    The only objective of this post is to find a solution.
    I Feel pity for both parties involved, but of course i feel more for my friends, they are searchingand have been searching all avenues for a solution.

Not sure how they are busy keeping kids quiet, are they noisy, can they not be given or helped with some task, I know they are kids and want to do their own thing, but maybe when its later or when the other person is out, but if they are making noise when the guy is home, can you not understand how he might feel, you did say the complaint started once the floor was installed. Im not sure what it being in the middle of the summer has to do with anything, does that mean kids are up later and allowe to make noise?
    Like you say, the objective for both parties is to find a solution, id recommend the party you know comes up with one before one is imposed, that guy might not realise it yet but if he finds out he himself can make a complaint then it seems that will be the decision made.
    wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I live in a complex where I can hear my neighbours hoovers, and sweet lord even at 4 in the day, it is loud, I think that complex seems as shoddily built as mine.

I can hear day to day stuff in my house and other peoples places, day to day at an acceptable time and volume is to be expected and is ok, people have to live, but Ive also put up with excessively loud noise during the day and it can get annoying, not to mention noise outside a reasonable hour, which can be intolerable. I sympathise with the other guy in this case as the OP and their friend seem to think, oh kids will be kids and they dont think there is a problem so they must be right, when they have admitted the OP is in breach of their contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I can hear day to day stuff in my house and other peoples places, day to day at an acceptable time and volume is to be expected and is ok, people have to live, but Ive also put up with excessively loud noise during the day and it can get annoying, not to mention noise outside a reasonable hour, which can be intolerable. I sympathise with the other guy in this case as the OP and their friend seem to think, oh kids will be kids and they dont think there is a problem so they must be right, when they have admitted the OP is in breach of their contract.

I know, as I said in a previous post, Wooden floors should be banned, upstairs from me has them and heels and hoovers are the bane of my life, you can't say anything because it is at reasonable hours, but I feel like explaining to them the little bristles option on their hoover head is not there for decoration. Also would it kill people to put felt at the end of furniture, I feel like there's a thunderstorm is upstairs some days.

I have a child and I do all I can to keep him from slamming doors (I have old baby blankets on them so they can't slam, and he is only allowed in the hall to enter and exit the building, plus he thinks the baby in the other apartment will wake if you are loud so he is silent. I am as neighbour conscious as possible. But he still makes some noise, which I can only scold but to dismiss it altogether is just lazy parenting.

And that is one of the problem's shoddy builds ,I'm living in apartment's since I was 17 I'm 34 now I've pretty much seen and heard it all ,I received 1 warning letter from a management company in all that time regarding noise the complaint was malisous one neighbour rang the management company saying loud music had been playing at 3pm it then transpired the neighbour who supposedly made the complaint knew nothing of the complaint as she was away for 3 months with her job the real complainent turned out to have had 20+ tenants evicted from apartments on 3 different floors to the point he was taken to court by a group of landlord for harresment of tenants ,it seem some people will never be happy no matter the situation

Im not sure I get your post, you mean the complainant, claimed to be someone else, but was actually a landlord that rented a number of properties? Not sure how this ties in with the thread?

And the last line is kind of the throw back to when someone complains, if the person they are complaining about doesnt do anything about the problem and when the complainant complains again, they can be accused of always complaining. maybe not in your case, the thing is, people that do that either wont be asked or told and see no wrong in what they are doing as they cant consider other people or their situation, making noise can be stressful if someone just wants to relax and unwind and if people are at it all the time, well how would you suggest they respond, other than complain?

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I know, as I said in a previous post, Wooden floors should be banned, upstairs from me has them and heels and hoovers are the bane of my life, you can't say anything because it is at reasonable hours, but I feel like explaining to them the little bristles option on their hoover head is not there for decoration. Also would it kill people to put felt at the end of furniture, I feel like there's a thunderstorm is upstairs some days.

I have a child and I do all I can to keep him from slamming doors (I have old baby blankets on them so they can't slam, and he is only allowed in the hall to enter and exit the building, plus he thinks the baby in the other apartment will wake if you are loud so he is silent. I am as neighbour conscious as possible. But he still makes some noise, which I can only scold but to dismiss it altogether is just lazy parenting.

That sounds very fair and reasonable, i dont believe people should have to walk on eggshells, a bit of consideration (which you are definitely doing) and everyone can get on. We have felt on furniture as we dont want it to scratch our floor or make noise, we wear slippers indoors anyway as i have a child and dont want anything being dragged into the house on footwear.
    Id be wary of scolding children but informing children of what the reasons are is what a lot of parents dont do or wont. They wont have their children told or asked as they wont be told or even be asked themselves.
    Poor quality of builds has a lot to do with it, but people are less likely to be considerate of others and its like an offence if you ask someone to try keep it down, It can make things worse, but its not right to have to tolerate something indefinitely.

Im not sure I get your post, you mean the complainant, claimed to be someone elseQuote]
    Yes example apartment A complained about apartment B ,but actual apartment A wasnt in the country at the time of the complaint ,as it turned out the real complainant was another apartment owner making malicious complaints against people renting in the same block,
    Where it ties in the thread people are making assuming the op is in the wrong based off we had a hover running at 7pm various posts are assuming it was more like 9 or 10pm because the op is breaching the contract by having wooden floors which seems bs and having kids means she or they have to be guilty of offending the neighbour ears what if its a case of malicious complaints as it seems it's only one neighbour With the problem

Im not sure I get your post, you mean the complainant, claimed to be someone elseQuote]
    Yes example apartment A complained about apartment B ,but actual apartment A wasnt in the country at the time of the complaint ,as it turned out the real complainant was another apartment owner making malicious complaints against people renting in the same block,
    Where it ties in the thread people are making assuming the op is in the wrong based off we had a hover running at 7pm various posts are assuming it was more like 9 or 10pm because the op is breaching the contract by having wooden floors which seems bs and having kids means she or they have to be guilty of offending the neighbour ears what if its a case of malicious complaints as it seems it's only one neighbour With the problem

well, they are right under them and they do have wooden flooring and they said it only started after the floor was fitted, just because only one person stands up to be counted doesnt mean they are not right.
    They said 7pm at the latest and then unqualified that by saying, well definitely no latter than 8pm, so they seem uncertain, so maybe it was 12midnight for all we know, they are hardly going to say it was 11pm if it was. Plus that person is the OPs "friend"nolt the actual person in question, Ive seen people deceive others/their friends/advocates to keep them onside when inactual fact they behave like roight bastarhats on the qt.

• Advertisement

Fully understand above post

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kadetady

Since you know the OP (or are the OP most likely, or the husband)
    I'm going to safely assume that you've really fluffed that fact. Was it more like 10pm, or was the hoovering something more like shouting? Nobody complains about being able to hear a hoover, unless it's at an unreasonable time, or else if the hoover were to be being violently thrown around the apartment.

You won't gain anything but the support of people over the internet by lying on here, and that's not worth anything to your cause, so what's the whole story?

Maybe you didn't read it but I said that kids are in bed by 20:30 so how could I hoover with them sleeping? What reason I would have to lying? I have a problem and as u said I won't get the right answer by lying! Thanks anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Eldrick Woods

There are many advantages to raising children in apartments

I'd love to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Carlito88

I thought they were obvious...The apartment is easier to keep warm. Unless you're on a ground floor. There is also a larger sense of security...ie burglary, vandalisim. I'm actually suprised that some posters have had the audacity to state that children should not be brought up in apartments. In my opinion it is a most ridiculous and aloof statement to make. For OBVIOUS reason's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Eldrick Woods

I thought they were obvious...The apartment is easier to keep warm. Unless you're on a ground floor. There is also a larger sense of security...ie burglary, vandalisim. I'm actually suprised that some posters have had the audacity to state that children should not be brought up in apartments. In my opinion it is a most ridiculous and aloof statement to make. For OBVIOUS reason's

I would disagree with you.

Sometimes "needs must", but in my view Irish apartments are absolutely unsuitable for bringing up children. I think that anyone who would choose to bring up kids in an apartment rather than a house needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sometimes "needs must", but in my view Irish apartments are absolutely unsuitable for bringing up children. I think that anyone who would choose to bring up kids in an apartment rather than a house needs their head examined.

Whilst i agree with the context of your post. I do however feel that there are plenty of apartments out there that would quash your statement.

Try not to make it so broad reaching.

Maybe 'many' irish apartments...

:):D in some cases yes...however as mentioned in earlier posts the complex is new, the apt itself is very spacious two double rooms, en suite and one single room, very large balcony, situatied in the suberbs of of north county dublin with a well kept and maintained play ground and football pitch.
    Again i dont want to go off topic, so i'll say no more on this
    :)

A balcony is completely suitable environment to occupy a small childs time and at least one dog, they can make their own entertainment, if not that, then running up and down the corridors screaming and banging on the other residents doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

A balcony is completely suitable environment to occupy a small childs time and at least one dog, they can make their own entertainment, if not that, then running up and down the corridors screaming and banging on the other residents doors.
    lol seriously? thats the silliest thing i ever heard. verging on child and animal cruelty issues i would go as far as saying.

edit - i feel so strongly about this i started a thread in AH about it. In case the OP is getting derailed here.

apache wrote: »
    lol seriously? thats the silliest thing i ever heard. verging on child and animal cruelty issues i would go as far as saying.

edit - i feel so strongly about this i started a thread in AH about it. In case the OP is getting derailed here.

Im kidding, I think apartments are wholly unsuitable here as there are never facilities, not that I have seen, sure they cant even comply with safety regulations, I have seen apartment blocks abroad and not anything plush that have tennis courts, enclosed swimming pools and gyms and playgrounds, not the minimal grass verge around the edge of the block, where people pay an extortionate management fee to have the grass cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

sorry i missed the irony. now i see it like a deer in the headlights :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

This is irrelevent, nobody asked if an apt is a place to raise children. Obviously it is.... There are many advantages to raising children in apartments however its not the topic being disscused, so i would suggest u go elsewhere fruitlover :D

I don't see a 'Moderator' title under your username, so I'm not going anywhere. This is a public forum and I'm not going to refrain from posting just because you don't like what I say - that's not how a public forum works. My point stands - it's not unreasonable for this man to expect peace and quiet in an apartment block. If the kids want to run around, they should be doing it outside.

FruitLover wrote: »

I don't see a 'Moderator' title under your username, so I'm not going anywhere. This is a public forum and I'm not going to refrain from posting just because you don't like what I say - that's not how a public forum works. My point stands - it's not unreasonable for this man to expect peace and quiet in an apartment block. If the kids want to run around, they should be doing it outside.

Fruitlover if u want to discuss the rights and wrongs of children in apartments then apache has opened a new thread in AH, there you will find many others standing on the same moral highground as yourself.
    I think if you refer back to the original op's post you will see that he was seeking a solution to the problem. It is his private property and it is not unreasonable for him to allow his children to make use of the family home... ALL DAY every day!!! That is of course between the hours of 8am and 8pm If the arrogant, intimidating ar@#hole living beneath the op has any problems with this then perhaps he should get his ass outside. Or move elsewhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Carlito and Fruitlover- if you have an issue with one another's posts- either refute the post factually- or use the report post function to bring it to the attention of moderators, along with a detailed note on why you think the post is problematic. This tit for tat arguing here is pointless and unhelpful to all the other forum users, not least the original poster in this thread.

Consider yourselves warned- leave the moderating to the moderators- both of you- and if you want to bicker with one another- take it elsewhere.

:):D in some cases yes...however as mentioned in earlier posts the complex is new, the apt itself is very spacious two double rooms, en suite and one single room, very large balcony, situatied in the suberbs of of north county dublin with a well kept and maintained play ground and football pitch.
    Again i dont want to go off topic, so i'll say no more on this
    :)

Ok, so after all this you tell us there are facilities and the place is great,
    why aren't the kids out and about instead of running around the apartment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ok, so after all this you tell us there are facilities and the place is great,
    why aren't the kids out and about instead of running around the apartment?

Probably the same reason no-one elses are. It's pelting rain, high winds, and -2 outside.

I sympathise OP, but I can barely stand hearing my very quiet neighbours chuckle in a semi-d. Noise is annoying. The reaction from the neighbour was way over the top, but two wrongs don't make a right. Put down a few rugs, and maybe send a note saying you have made attempts to reduce noise, but you don't appreciate the shouting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭SNORBEAST

Move out of the place??????

pwurple wrote: »
    Probably the same reason no-one elses are. It's pelting rain, high winds, and -2 outside.

I sympathise OP, but I can barely stand hearing my very quiet neighbours chuckle in a semi-d. Noise is annoying. The reaction from the neighbour was way over the top, but two wrongs don't make a right. Put down a few rugs, and maybe send a note saying you have made attempts to reduce noise, but you don't appreciate the shouting.

Im older, back in my day that was called fun :) ok Im kidding
    But I agree about noise, unnecessary noise particularily at the wrong time is a pain, add continuous to that, and I can see how the OPs neighbours feel.

Advertisement