Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally 2013

Options
  • 03-02-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

So was anyone around last in Eyre Square to witness the opening???
    What did ye think
    I have to say i thought it was very badly organised
    There was kids all over the place as there wasnt great traffic management,
    was nearly got ran over by a taxi.
    Who brainwave was it to hold it where it was, why not do it where it was last year ?

rant over:(

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

hession wrote: »
    So was anyone around last night in Eyre Square to witness the opening???
    What did ye think?
    I have to say i I thought it was very badly organised.
    There was were kids all over the place, as there wasnt great traffic management,.
    was nearly got ran over by a taxi. I was nearly ran over by a taxi.
    Who's brainwave was it to hold it where it was, why not do it where it was last year ?

rant over:(

You sir, have appalling English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Who's is a correction?

Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

inisboffin wrote: »
    Who's is a correction?

You should have corrected the correction Inis.

On topic, hate rally weekend and all the ensuing boy racer bs that comes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

MAN HOSPITALISED IN DUBLIN AFTER ROSSAVEAL ASSAULT

February 3, 2013 - 2:02pm

ONE man has been removed to hospital in Dublin with serious head injuries following an assault at Rossaveal Pier in the early hours of today.

The incident is alleged to have happened at approximately 4 am,

Several residents in this area of Connemara say as many as 200 cars, mostly boy racers were speeding around roads there during the past two nights.

One resident said he watched "droves of cars - approximately 200" speeding through Spiddal at 3 am this morning and he said local residents couldn't sleep with the noise created by the speeding cars.

It is reported that the man who was injured in the assault at Rossaveal Pier is a local but Gardai could not confirm this up to lunchtime today.

The man has been taken to Beaumont Hospital for treatment to serious head injuries.

Gardai in Salthill are investigating the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

I was there. First time witnessing the Galway rally opening in 10+ yrs. Wasn't a huge crowd..so didn't see much issue with traffic management.
    Looking at the boy racers going round and round and round the square in their 'souped' / 'pimped' up 10 yr old corsas/pug 106s/civics and diesel golf's were laughable. Is that the best Galway has to offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I was there. First time witnessing the Galway rally opening in 10+ yrs. Wasn't a huge crowd..so didn't see much issue with traffic management.
    Looking at the boy racers going round and round and round the square in their 'souped' / 'pimped' up 10 yr old corsas/pug 106s/civics and diesel golf's were laughable. Is that the best Galway has to offer?
    No the souped up cars are what North County Galway has to offer, us city folk, and im obviously speaking as the representative, have no interest in that kinda sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

here's
    some of my photos from down by motorpark on Saturday

and 2 more that I haven't put on my website yet
    8439623882_1f8fe3e221_z.jpg
    Galway International Rally by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

8438537221_a762942f66.jpg
    Galway International Rally by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

inisboffin wrote: »
    Who's is a correction?

Well this is embarrassing. :rolleyes: I'd like to blame the beer, but I could never do such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Woodquay, the Galway Shopping Center, Sean Mulvoy Road and the Headford Road Roundabout were a congested mess on Friday night. Traffic slow in all direction, mostly "boy racer" types.
    Garda cars were circulating but the traffic build up wasn't ebing managed. We're talking 23:30 here.

dinneenp wrote: »

Wile were on the topick of speling, whats "mircotunnelling"? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Iwannahurl wrote: »

http://www.wardandburke.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=54

We attempt to develop long and lasting relationships with our Clients by sharing with them the benefit of our knowledge and experience in developing the best solutions to construction difficulties. We aim to develop trust and transparency in our dealings with Clients as we believe this is the basis for sustainable growth.

It is of the utmost importance to Ward and Burke Construction to treat all our employees, suppliers and sub-contractors with integrity, fairness and honesty. This ethos has been a cornerstone of our development since our inception in 2001 and remains a key pillar in the future growth of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Seriously would that have to be explained to you if it was air & line and this was the 40s?:eek:

antoobrien wrote: »
    Seriously would that have to be explained to you if it was air & line and this was the 40s?:eek:

Ya wha?

See pic above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Ya wha?

See pic above.

I saw it, microtunnelling is making small tunnels that are too small for a human to operate the boring machine (hence the micro bit).

So what's your concern, the made up word, the grammar, spelling (nothing wrong with either) or the fact that there's something you don't know about?

antoobrien wrote: »
    I saw it, microtunnelling is making small tunnels that are too small for a human to operate the boring machine (hence the micro bit).

So what's your concern, the made up word, the grammar, spelling (nothing wrong with either) or the fact that there's something you don't know about?

Dear oh dear. What about microceph--- oh never mind. ;)

8439623882_1f8fe3e221_z.jpg

Amazingly the guy in hospital ain't this guy. The driver goes the wrong way here.

The crap driver is sponsored by Fás...how apt. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

jesus, very lucky. he smacked his head off the windscreen and all. Why were they standing so close to the action, with no protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

jamesdiver wrote: »
    jesus, very lucky. he smacked his head off the windscreen and all. Why were they standing so close to the action, with no protection.

They were standing in the correct place , the driver should have turned left not right, must have had a crap navigator

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

yeah i got that, but presumed they'd have to be behind something solid. Just glad he got back up from that one.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Amazingly the guy in hospital ain't this guy. The driver goes the wrong way here.

The crap driver is sponsored by Fás...how apt. :D

By the looks of it the driver and navigator might well be on a CE scheme, but the car is sponsored by Fastway Couriers.

Maybe they cut corners in their parcel deliveries too? ;)

Fastway_Falcon.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I have to say I dread the Rally weekend and Race week when it comes to work. Fair play for the boost it gives to the local economy but so many idiots. At least they're idiots who spend money so I can't be complaining about them too much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

jamesdiver wrote: »
    That was a marshall, although I'm not sure if he was in the best spot for a box junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

@ SpongeBob, Storm10 & Iwannahurl

Here's my post from this thread.
    Fey! wrote: »
    The reason for the box junction (all of the red and white tape) is just in case the driver takes a wrong turn, which could happen for a number of reasons.

In this case the road should have been clear for 50 metres, with nobody standing on the road, as well as in designated areas in the fields and on the ditches around it.

The marshals would have had a drawing like this:
    239489.jpg
    which shows exactly where people can't stand.

If you compare the drawing with the video, you'll see that there aren't any people standing where the red lines are on the drawing.

Unfortunately the marshal was out of position when this happened; thankfully he wasn't injured.

It was not a "crap driver", and the person who was hit was unfortunately positioned where they shouldn't have been.

The idea of a run off road is that if something goes wrong the car has a clear area to pull in to.

The need for the run off road can be due to something on the road, a bad pacenote called, a communication mix up, or a mechanical failure in the car, or for another number of reasons.

As I said in the other post, thankfully the marshal wasn't injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mick0

Wasn't obviously hurt, I'd say he was sore though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Asmodean wrote: »
    I have to say I dread the Rally weekend and Race week when it comes to work. Fair play for the boost it gives to the local economy but so many idiots. At least they're idiots who spend money so I can't be complaining about them too much.

Agree with this, although I do enjoy the races and look forward to it...but the rally...I must have been woken a hundred times on Saturday night/Sunday morning with pimped-up Opel corsas zooming and revving past my house. Urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

That Motor Rally and it's followsers are becoming a nuisance.

Hope the man assualted at Rossaveale is recovering

Fey! wrote: »
    @ SpongeBob,
    As I said in the other post, thankfully the marshal wasn't injured.

Thanks Fey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

nuac wrote: »
    That Motor Rally and it's followsers are becoming a nuisance.

Hope the man assualted at Rossaveale is recovering

There is a huge difference between the rally followers and the people who cause all of the trouble. Unfortunately people looking from the outside in only see one group due to the central interest of each group being cars.

If you look at any of the motorsport/rallying websites such as www.rallyforums.com, you'll see a common viewpoint about these hooligans, and that is that they are not wanted around motorsport events. They do a huge amount of damage to the reputation of both rallying and rally fans.

These groups tend to set up meets and "cruises" to coincide with rallies around the country, which is something they are free to do. However, they are not associated with the various Motorsport Ireland regulated motorclubs around the country.

In Galway you see these people around every weekend in the shopping centre; these people themselves aren't necessarily troublemakers, but on rally weekends their numbers are inflated, making them far more noticeable, and some of the people who inflate their numbers are out to cause trouble. Again some, not all; most of this group only want to show off their cars.

tl;dr, rally fans and the troublemakers mentioned above are not the same group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

So which are people more outraged by; Rally weekend or Nuig Rag week?

I'm going to vote Rally weekend, as there's a greater chance I may get killed during it.

• Advertisement

Alleged thugs and troublemakers to end up in court:

Twenty face charges after hectic rally weekend

"A 21-YEAR-OLD man is expected to appear in court today in relation to a weekend assault that has left a young Barna man fighting for his life in a Dublin hospital.

Gardai arrested the man – from the North Galway area – on Sunday evening under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, following the incident at Rossaveal Pier in the early hours of Sunday morning.

An altercation developed at the pier shortly after 3.30am, between a number of young people driving cars who had been following the Galway International Rally – the injured man was allegedly hit in the head by a person wielding a wooden timber mallet.

[...]

Meanwhile Gardaí have also confirmed that over 20 young drivers – who were ‘tailing’ the rally at the weekend – face court charges over the coming weeks in relation to a series of road traffic offences.

Most of the charges will be for dangerous driving and speeding offences following a hectic weekend of Garda surveillance as they tried to keep tabs on gangs of ‘boy racers’.

The Dyke Road carpark in front of the Black Box Theatre was a favourite meeting point for the rally followers over the weekend, while for a time on Saturday night, they also ‘took over’ the Galway Shopping Centre carpark."

Advertisement