Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hourglass

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Alleged thugs and troublemakers to end up in court:

Twenty face charges after hectic rally weekend

"A 21-YEAR-OLD man is expected to appear in court today in relation to a weekend assault that has left a young Barna man fighting for his life in a Dublin hospital.

Gardai arrested the man – from the North Galway area – on Sunday evening under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, following the incident at Rossaveal Pier in the early hours of Sunday morning.

An altercation developed at the pier shortly after 3.30am, between a number of young people driving cars who had been following the Galway International Rally – the injured man was allegedly hit in the head by a person wielding a wooden timber mallet.

[...]

Meanwhile Gardaí have also confirmed that over 20 young drivers – who were ‘tailing’ the rally at the weekend – face court charges over the coming weeks in relation to a series of road traffic offences.

Most of the charges will be for dangerous driving and speeding offences following a hectic weekend of Garda surveillance as they tried to keep tabs on gangs of ‘boy racers’.

The Dyke Road carpark in front of the Black Box Theatre was a favourite meeting point for the rally followers over the weekend, while for a time on Saturday night, they also ‘took over’ the Galway Shopping Centre carpark."

Disgraceful carry on by all of these people.

With regards to preferring one of either rag week or the rally, I'd take rag week any day over the rally. The students usually keep to themselves, well at least used to. Certainly in my time in college (a long time ago!!) we used to just get drunk but keep to ourselves...unfortunately it seems in more recent years some students are out to cause trouble but I certainly don't feel threatened in any way during rag week whereas I don't like the rally crowd at all (the idiot boy racer types with their "cool" souped up Nissan Micras).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

it seems to be a free for all for thugs - should be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Theres a small minority at all gatherings in Galway that cause trouble. Just like race week where there are dozens of arrests for drunken behaviour. Sure cancel them all to be sure to be sure.

Get off your high horses, the rally is not the worst thing that comes to Galway by a long shot and is good for the local economy during a normally slow February.

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Theres a small minority at all gatherings in Galway that cause trouble. Just like race week where there are dozens of arrests for drunken behaviour. Sure cancel them all to be sure to be sure.

Get off your high horses, the rally is not the worst thing that comes to Galway by a long shot and is good for the local economy during a normally slow February.

never mind the fact that it invites a lot of non-desirables and it terrorizes people at night, sure as long as its good for the economy :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

never mind the fact that it invites a lot of non-desirables and it terrorizes people at night, sure as long as its good for the economy :rolleyes:

Sounds like a fairly regular galway night....time to set a curfew :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Do you ever walk around Galway any Saturday night at 3am? If not im glad for you.

Sounds like a fairly regular galway night....time to set a curfew :rolleyes:

no, it doesn't actually. it sound like a congregation of idiots in souped up cars causing terror in the middle of the night to vulnerable people.

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Do you ever walk around Galway any Saturday night at 3am? If not im glad for you.

i do, all the time. :roll eyes:

are you trying to say that rally weekend is the same as a regular weekend?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

no, it doesn't actually. it sound like a congregation of idiots in souped up cars causing terror in the middle of the night to vulnerable people.

sure it does

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

I remember February 1999, when the rally troublemakers (they're by no means rally fans IMO, just travel where the rallies go) were at their worst.

Gardai baton charging through Salthill, a line of them about 20 wide running from the direction of the station towards the roundabout.

Later that night, I saw a brand new Astra being broken into outside O'Reilly's and revved until the engine blew, while in the carpark there was donut show. The guards ended up blocking the entrance/exit to the carpark ... they just moved out to Silverstrand.

IIRC, there were about 60 of them up in court, a lot of them from Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I remember the rally of '99 too in Salthill. The carpark was shut afterwards...looked like Beirut there with burnt out cars. There was a LOT of damage done around Salthill that night. Granted, nothing similar has happened since but the rally does bring a lot of undesirables to the area. The races doesn't bring the same type of crowd at all. Yes of course there are arrests during the races and at other events within the city but other events don't seem to attract as rough a crowd as the rally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Gardai baton charging through Salthill, a line of them about 20 wide running from the direction of the station towards the roundabout.

[...]

Baton charge in Salthill? I have no recollection of such extreme drama, so I must have been out of the country at the time. Not the sort of thing you'd tend to forget.

Donegal is is permanent 'rally' mode in my experience... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Baton charge in Salthill? I have no recollection of such extreme drama, so I must have been out of the country at the time. Not the sort of thing you'd tend to forget.

Yeah, it was crazy stuff. I think the rally was banned for a couple of years afterwards, but subsequently returned.

Cops told all nightclubs (Bogarts, Liquid, Warwick) to stay open and keep people inside while they cleared Salthill. We left around 4am and the cops had all access roads into Salthill blocked off.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ten-charged-as-disgraceful-rally-thugs-go-on-rampage-417658.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Race week is different in that you won't have anyone going out to intentionally hit a young lad on the head with a mallet. Of course RAG week, race week and rally weekend attract scum, but these wannabe rally drivers put other road users at risk, whereas IMO RAG week and race week are just an annoyance for anyone not interested. Something about annual events beginning with the letter 'R' eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Yeah, it was crazy stuff. I think the rally was banned for a couple of years afterwards, but subsequently returned.

Cops told all nightclubs (Bogarts, Liquid, Warwick) to stay open and keep people inside while they cleared Salthill. We left around 4am and the cops had all access roads into Salthill blocked off.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ten-charged-as-disgraceful-rally-thugs-go-on-rampage-417658.html

"Violence marred the Statoil Galway International Rally for the second year in a row."

It's all coming back to me now. I was out of the country for a few months in both 1998 and 1999, which is why I missed the Salthill riots.

Crazy stuff indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was in Killorans that night and will never forget it, crazy to see the baton charge and the hail of stones and bottles that were being thrown at the Garda, as stated the damage was very bad and one thing I wont forget was the noise of the rioters roaring and the sound of breaking glass etc

some will try to convince you it is the same as a regular Saturday night in town. :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

I remember February 1999, when the rally troublemakers (they're by no means rally fans IMO, just travel where the rallies go) were at their worst.

Later that night, I saw a brand new Astra being broken into outside O'Reilly's and revved until the engine blew, while in the carpark there was donut show. The guards ended up blocking the entrance/exit to the carpark ... they just moved out to Silverstrand.

this actually happened in 98 if i remember correct

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

G Power wrote: »
    How ridiculously inappropriate and tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Very tasteless and very very inaccurate. That had nothing to do with any of the race meetings or rallys in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Shame on you G Power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Yep, pretty inappropriate really. Says it all about some of the rally crowd if I'm honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Yep, pretty inappropriate really. Says it all about some of the rally crowd if I'm honest.

i'm not a rally head

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

i'm not a rally head
    No but plenty of similar names could be thrown at you for your comment.

WallyGUFC wrote: »

You're contradicting yourself? Its inappropriate but explains some of the rally crowd? This tragic, horrible thing has nothing to do with the rally.

Advertisement