Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blind sheep

• 03-02-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Starting to find a few ewes that are blind.Anyone know what's causes this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Salmonman wrote: »

What are they eating? Inside or outside?
    Eyes cloudy?
    Pinkeye? Do they have acces to bracken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

SUFFERED WITH EWES WITH THIS AROUND TIPPING TIME.....look up a post I put in on ewes with milky like glaze on eyes ....should be helpful...my advice would be get treating them a.s.a.p....takes time but you will cure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

Ewes outside on the hill,getting sillage had it before a few years ago,treated them with alyimicin.Cured them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

SUFFERED WITH EWES WITH THIS AROUND TIPPING TIME.....look up a post I put in on ewes with milky like glaze on eyes ....should be helpful...my advice would be get treating them a.s.a.p....takes time but you will cure them.

This is the thread Western Promise is referring to above
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81359981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Treat them if they go blind with oxytetracyclin - if it only affect one eye of if they are not blind I would let them alone - those you treat will get it again - those that fight it off themselves won't. some may have a cloud in eye afterwards - spreads like mad - it will eventually wear itself out. But it is very frustrating - had it twice including last year just as ewes came into shed for last eight weeks prior to lambing - absolute nightmare.

Other cause could be listeria - if they are eating soil contaminated silage - sore eyes is first problem, can cause abortions and death in sheep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

Found more sheep this morning going blind ,running around the hill trying to pen them,hailstones bouncing of me.So put them all in and injected them with alamycin,repeat in 2 days.Pain in the h...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Have two mountain eyes inside on hay one lambed other a few days off completely blind. Anyone recognise it from photo?. They have got ultrapen and a ml into each eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

fog...can cause it??...don't know the exact science behind it...used get it regular before here espially in boggy areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

razor8 wrote: »
    Have two mountain eyes inside on hay one lambed other a few days off completely blind. Anyone recognise it from photo?. They have got ultrapen and a ml into each eye

we had a couple looking very similar

took a long time but they came right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

You hear a lot of crazy cures for this. But the best, and quickest, I have found is a couple of drops of oxytetracyclin into each eye. Even as far gone as your photos suggest, it will be gone almost completely in about 2 weeks, with some sight returning sooner, which means less chance of them running into a drain etc.

It comes about in damp and/or windy conditions, generally where the ewe doesnt have enough shelter - that is in my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

You hear a lot of crazy cures for this. But the best, and quickest, I have found is a couple of drops of oxytetracyclin into each eye. Even as far gone as your photos suggest, it will be gone almost completely in about 2 weeks, with some sight returning sooner, which means less chance of them running into a drain etc.

It comes about in damp and/or windy conditions, generally where the ewe doesnt have enough shelter - that is in my experience anyway.

Saw some of it in the ould fellas flock last year at lambing, there was a persistent cold Easterly wind for about six weeks. Alamycin foot spray works but wouldn't recommend it unless you had nothing else, certainly wouldn't use anything like engemycin spray which fizzes a lot. Mastitis tubes work as well and are a bit kinder.

I believe it is contagious and would separate out any ewe that had it if possible. Also regularly disinfect troughs and anything else they may have been scratching their faces on.

If I remember rightly there was a fair bit of discussion on it over on TFF or BFF. I may be corrected but an injection may also cure it, don't take that as fact as my memory isn't particularly stellar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

They are inside so surprised, chatted vet yesterday and brought a photo and said it was worse than pink eye, told me to keep injecting with engemycin til it's better and give me a steroid for the lambed one so suppose time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Apologies, I meant engemycin, not oxytetracyclin. A vet told me that a drop or two into the eye is the best cure. I was pleasently surprised at how well it worked, normally that blindness is hard to shake off, and it will usually spread to one or two more before you can get rid of it, but the engemycin seems to put it on the backfoot straight away. Try a drop into the eye razor8

Advertisement