Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iconic Cork Chipper Fleecing Inebriated Customers???

Options
  • 03-02-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to cut down on my boozing in the last year or so and have been leaving the pub at 11-11.30 rather than closing time. I am thus more Compos Mentis than I used to be on my way home. I walk home via Barrack St. and often stop at an iconic chipper in the area to get some curry chips for the road. I go there about once per month on my own and once per month for a Bay family blowout.

I went to the pub at 7.45 last night and left at 23.30, after 8 pints. I was tipsy but by no means pissed. I stopped in the chipper and ordered curry chips (€3.55), gave the person a €10 bill and he gave me change for a fiver. I looked at the change and looked at him; he paused a moment and then said "oh, did you give me a tenner?". Before I answered, he gave me a fiver from the till. I ate my chips and left but on my way home it struck me (like a bucket of water!!) that this was the THIRD time this had happened in the last 10 or so visits after the pub - the other times I was given change for a ten when I had given a twenty. This has NEVER happened when I have gone in sober for a family takeaway.

My question is: Is it possible that the staff in this VERY FAMOUS chipper are systematically fleecing customers they consider to be too pissed to notice that they are being short changed? The more I think about it the angrier I'm getting. Has anyone else experienced this? I know for certain that it used to happen in Spiders nightclub in the 1980s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Get your curry chip elsewhere, he knew you gave him a 10er

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

dave1982 wrote: »
    Get your curry chip elsewhere, he knew you gave him a 10er
    This. If there was any doubt what note you gave him he'd have told you to sling your hook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Horrible bitch of a bar owner known to do this in a country pub.I wasnt so drunk on 3 or 4 occasions over the years and caught her out.Her giving back change of 10 when you gave her 20 etc.

Its no wonder when you wake up the next day and ask yourself how you spent so much.We are probably being fleeced wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Been in there while blotto many times, never had this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Been in there while blotto many times, never had this happen.

Not that you remember anyway... ;)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've been in there three or four times in recent months, only once was the cost of my order wrong, but in fact it was to my benefit. Think your best bet is not to go there anymore!

Hold on, now that I think of it - we had problems a few times in one of this chain's other establishments with wrong change being given, this is going back 7 or 8 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Have an extra pint to break the ten spot
    or use your coinage

Oh ya and drink responsibly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

This reminds me of an incident in San Antonio, Ibiza many years ago.
    I was short changed by a guy in a takeaway, so I sat nearby having a drink and watched his routine.
    When he was'nt looking, I casualy walked by his food laden counted and sprayed the lot with perfume, I sat back with my drink and enjoyed the grief he got from the next customers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I've been in there three or four times in recent months, only once was the cost of my order wrong, but in fact it was to my benefit. Think your best bet is not to go there anymore!

Hold on, now that I think of it - we had problems a few times in one of this chain's other establishments with wrong change being given, this is going back 7 or 8 years ago
    The famous chipper in barrack st area , isnt part of a chain and never was...... its a mistake people tend to make, they are different names although similar.

Just to chime in on this, i worked on the tills there many years ago, and you can trust me when i say there is no conspiracy to take extra money.

If anything the managers and owners would be pretty pissed off if this was happening regular, its the sort of business where repeat customers mean everything. Unfortunately its prob just down to the person on the till paying proper attention, although the tills as far as i remember them required you to key in the amount of money handed to you, if theres a mistake happening its the fault of the person on the till, but this human error could happen in any establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Think your best bet is not to go there anymore!

Definitely not an option! Have been going in there for over 25 years. It never occurred to me in million years that something like this could happen - maybe I'm just being paranoid. Just seems strange that it could happen 3 times out of 10 (or so) visits after the pub - just seems like too much of a coincidence to be accidental.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

This is not the conspiracy theories forum.

Also if you do not mention a name but give enough detail to identify the business it is the same.

So I am locking this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement