Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail app

• 03-02-2013 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

I need an IT expert to tell me something about the gmail app. If I am logged into my company gmail on my personal iPhone can the company see what I am browsing on the net on my home network using safari which is a separate app.

Sorry for posting this in two forums, I just need an answer on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Is the Safari instance on the phone or on another device? The only way a company (or person) can see what your are browsing is if your phone is connecting to the internet via a proxy server or if they have remote access of some sort to your phone (I suppose they could sniff clear text connections too, if they were in your house!!).

I haven't used iPhones for years but with an android device your company could root the device, install a reverse ssh tunneling service and then get access to your device ( and see what your looking at). They could also (in theory) force all your web traffic through a proxy, monitoring what you are looking at. I reckon you'd need to have a jailbroken iPhone for this and even then I am not sure if there are apps for this (although if Jailbroken they could get shell access and install a similar service )

However, the chances of any of this happening is very, very remote - like almost impossibly remote. They would need to own the phone, have it in their possession for a period of time (to configure it like this) and then be the most paranoid, controlling company known to man!

If you own the phone then no, it's almost impossible for them to see what you're looking at - your *cough* interesting sites are safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I'm sure you're fine

4x1i.jpg

Advertisement