Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a website - first time need help

Options
  • 03-02-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Hope I have the right place - basically as the title says I'm building a website for the first time.. I did not think it would be this difficult!

I have my hosting and my domain name. I've even figured out how to use dreamweaver to build my site but when I'm going to publish there is an "FTP" error. I cannot figure it out.

I transferred my domain name from Reg365 to Blacknight (where I have my hotsing) only a few days after purchase..

I'd appreicate any help on this - thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Have you got the ftp set up through the blacknight control panel and are you using the right login for the ftp, it will be different to your blacknight login.

Does dreamweaver give any more detail to what the error is?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Okay no I havn't - I assumed it was the same as reg365? They have an FTP already set up.
    Where in the control panel do I find it?

OK well, this is how I would do it if you're on the same package as me... Try going to http://cp.blacknight.com

After logging in bring up your site details by clicking 'Sites and Domains', click on your site name, choose website configuration, you will see that you can edit your ftp details there if they aren't already enabled. It will also tell you the ip address of your ftp server, not sure if ftp.yourdomain.com will be available by default

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Thank you! Think I am beginning to get somewhere - I have another question what is my root directory? I have attached an image of the fields I have filled in so far subbing the website with mydomain for now.

Can you please let me know if I'm doing anything else wrong (probably everything! :o) Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

domains/yourdomainname.com/public_html
    or more likely
    webspace/httpdocs/yourdomainname.com

There'll be an index.php (about 1.3kB) in there which you should rename to something like oldindex.php. It is the default page which displays info that this domain has been registered....

Consider using FileZilla for ftp. Dreamweaver's ftp function might not be the easiest to use. Also you might need to change the transfer settings to Passive.

There's also quite a few video tutorials on Blacknight Support which you should have a look at. http://www.blacknight.com/support.html

• Advertisement

try the following as root directory for your site

/wwwroot/yourdomain.com/

As tricky D said you should get filezilla if you don't have it - there will be an index.php file in your sites root directory which you will probably need to delete if your new site is using an index.html file. I don't think dreamweaver will do this automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Tails142 wrote: »
    As tricky D said you should get filezilla if you don't have it - there will be an index.php file in your sites root directory which you will probably need to delete if your new site is using an index.html file. I don't think dreamweaver will do this automatically.

It definitely won't. And from transferring a domain to Blacknight a few weeks ago, the default order configuration was index.php then index.html, so you could upload your site and still see the 'wrong homepage' at yourdomain.com ie. the registration notice unless you actually typed yourdomain.com/index.html.

Also OP if you are using Design View in Dreamweaver, make sure you check your pages in all the main browsers as Design View isn't the best at reflecting displays on all browsers. So much so that almost all the decent coders I know avoid DW for design.

Advertisement