Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Knife Sharpening

Options
  • 03-02-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Anyone know where I can get knives professionally sharpened in Galway or close enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

do you have many knives? I got one of my knives sharpened in the butchers. They did not mind since i was buying from them

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'd also like to know the answer to this question.

I have some uber expensive Japanese knives that are folded Japanese steel, so presume bog standard sharpeners would ruin them?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I have some uber expensive Japanese knives that are folded Japanese steel, so presume bog standard sharpeners would ruin them?

How have you blunted your Samurai swords?

Red Pepper wrote: »
    How have you blunted your Samurai swords?

Killing bill :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

A normal stone and steel would be fine, no Idea why you'd think they would damage them.

Seaneh wrote: »
    A normal stone and steel would be fine, no Idea why you'd think they would damage them.

According to teh internetz, a sharpening steel or pull through sharpener will ruin japanese knives.

Tripart on the Tuam rd have a once a week servic. Call them

• Registered Users Posts: 38 12barblues

Thanks alot for the replies, I'll give Tripart a call so!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

evoke wrote: »
    do you have many knives? I got one of my knives sharpened in the butchers. They did not mind since i was buying from them

Good option.Cheers
    Tipsygypsy wrote: »

Al is sound. Used to be a chef so know what he's at.

A diamond steel wouldn't. If you're going for a stone..do a bit of research. Different types of stones with different grades. Depends on what you use your knives for. For well made(expensive) Japanese knives,best get a natural waterstone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

You'd be much better off learning to sharpen them yourself OP, it's not difficult. If they are frequently used knives you need to sharpen them frequently to keep a keen edge no mater how expensive the steel is.
    If your afraid of using stones on their own Spyderco and Lansky do fool proof sharpening systems that hold the sharpening stone at the correct angle for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Good option.Cheers

Al is sound. Used to be a chef so know what he's at.

A diamond steel wouldn't. If you're going for a stone..do a bit of research. Different types of stones with different grades. Depends on what you use your knives for. For well made(expensive) Japanese knives,best get a natural waterstone

Yeah I nwas doing to say, a good diamond steel would be perfect, any chef I've worked with who had a japanese folded steel knife used a steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I was about to recommend Samurai, too. He's the guy who used to have Abalone on Dominic Street. Takes a lot of pride in his work!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Yes, they will.

J. knives are very hard and a bit brittle. A pull through carbide "sharpener" or even a decent steel sets up stress fracture planes that will ruin your knives.

Sharpen on waterstones if at all possible.

If your knives are some odd steel, or ground in a 70/30 edge, you may need some help sharpening?

A smooth steel is a good thing, ceramics I like!

A diamond steel is a sharpening tool, not a re-aligner!

I am around if you need a blade sharpened, drop a PM to me here.
    If not, use common sense and touch up as needed.
    Make a strop, stay away from pull-throughs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jopsoup1

hi desie
    i am in galway too, and i would love to send me shun knife to you to get it sharpened,
    i intend on getting wetstones and learning to do it myself, but i think it would be good to get a proper sharpening done by you first.
    i tried pm'ing you a while back, anyway let me know what to do, i can post the knife on to you, and i am am happy to pay you a few quid too!!
    thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Jopsoup,

No bother sharpening a Shun for you, I have a couple myself and I like them.
    Mine are clad damasteel with VG10 core,takes a nice fine edge.

I'll send you my address lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jopsoup1

good stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Galway2013

Bring them into charcoal grill and ask them to do it. a bit cheeky but its FREE :-)

Advertisement