Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small aviary

• 03-02-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all. . Starting a avary on my balcony. .. With the weather the way it is... what birds would u recommend. . As they b living in a breading boxs outside... thanks ant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A balcony can be a pretty handy spot for an aviary, but unless you have experience breeding birds I wouldn't use breeding boxes. What you need is a larger insulated type box and perhaps with enough room to put their food in in case the wind blows the rain in towards their food unless it's a really sheltered balcony. I can be shaped a bit like a giant breeding box but with perches on the inside and wide enough for them to be able to move about but not too big that it would get cold. It should be easy enough to build a little house for them just make sure you use safe wood and the wood stain is non toxic.

Is their drainage on the balcony that will make it easier to wash the floor area down.

Hardy outdoor birds are budgies or cockatiels but you need to make sure the neighbours won't complain about the noise. Budgies are more chatty but tiels have louder voices usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

He also needs some way of feeding and cleaning up after them without the risk of birds escaping.

Most larger Aviaries would have a double door system which would not work for a small balcony.

Advertisement