Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fast & Furious 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Source

Jason Statham in this film at the end and the next film

Not much of a spoiler anymore! His name is up on imdb...

Oh look at all those tempted to look!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just back from this and i must say i was well entertained by it, decent simple storyline, its not taking itself to serious, great action scenes, a bit of comedy (cinema was in stitches on 3 or 4 occasions) and even at 130 minutes its just flew by,

i honestly felt more entertained walking out of the cinema by this than i did by either iron man or star trek the last 2 weeks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Very enjoyable and great set up for 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

One of the worst films I've seen but - like the most recent Rambo movie - it's so dreadful that it become hilarious. Laughed the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

I hated it. I'm normally a fan of the ridiculous set pieces that they serve up but this felt like it was a huge step backwards in comparison to Fast 5.

My main problem wasn't with the lack of plot or the awful bad guys, it wasn't even the
    tank on the motorway scene - randomly killing loads of civilians & Vin diving across a couple of lanes to catch someone mid-air
    but the fact that they gave away the big climatic ending in the trailer! I know there has been a growing trend of trailers giving away plots etc. but this took the biscuit for me. I would have hugely enjoyed the
    runway scene
    , albeit completely ridiculous
    (longest runway in the world?)
    if it hadn't been completely ruined by the trailer. Everyone knew how it was going to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

The plot was terrible, there was quite a bit of cheese and it still manages to be the most entertaining blockbuster of the summer thus far.

A much better film than both Star Trek and Ironman, both of which simply tried too hard, took themselves far too seriously and were distinctly underwhelming in the end.

Kept me entertained throughout and I'll probably go watch it again on Wednesday with the discounted ticket prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The longest runaway in the world bar none, it must have stretched across the whole of Spain!

The banter between Ramon most of the rest of the characters was fairly good but they gave far too much away in the trailers and I didnt look at many. I was wondering how they were going to tie off Han's story line and they have done it as well as possible tbh.
    Even though I left the brain outside the door, 2 parts of the film made me go "Oh FFS"

1) Dom catching Leddy on the bridge and landing on the bonnet of a car to break their fall

2) Hobbs helping the gang to take Shaw out of NATO custody to risk the lives of millions for one person and keeping his job afterwards.

Decent action film, the 130mins flew tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Longest runway in the world, by some distance (literally).

Other than that, it was pretty much standard F&F stuff. Write the action sequences and then decide on the story to suit. But at the same time, great popcorn movie. I didn't expect anything else, and I quite enjoyed the ties to the earlier films.

Biggest annoyance though,
    Letty having amnesia. I really hoped they'd come up with something better than that. It's far too simple, even by F&F standards.
    But like I said, come up with the action sequences first then build some sort of story around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Thought it was great craic. Not a mad fan of the series , pretty much only watched the first 2 but enjoyed this no end.

Was a tad too long but not by much .

Give it a solid 8 out of 10.

Love the idea of no. 7 which looks like a franchise crosover :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Luke Evans was great as the baddie Shaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yeah i agree he was great.

it was doing my head in that i couldnt place him as he looked so familar to me then seen he's been in about 3 other films that ive seen before (immortals, 3 musketeers, the hobbit etc).

did a nice job in this without hamming it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So any of you hot blooded males enjoy Gina Carrano...its about the only appeal for me in this film...the whole series went ridiculous after the first one...i'm neither a boy racer or car enthusiast but from fast 2 this film has gotten more and more over the top stupid and stunt driven with plot holes a mile wide in it....
    I'll go see it for sure...but won't be salivating over it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Eli Nich

OU812 wrote: »
    Fast 5 was a fantastic action movie. Almost a reboot.

It stood alone as an action movie & I'd put it up with the first one for status. Three is the worst though.

Looking forward to this.

I hope all the hype for fast 6 stands wise and the movie is worth it.

Just back from seeing this now and I gotta admit, I loved it!!! Putting aside some cheesy dialogue and some stupid (and pointless) CGI it was a very very good popcorn flick!!!

Of the plot twists in the movie I can honestly say I missed 2 of them when I really should have got em but they were done well!!! I also loved how they tied the other movies into this one, overall a very very enjoyable watch!

I've changed my mind, roll on 7!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

You would need to be a full blown retard to leave that film satisfied.

• Advertisement

Your name alone says enough about you, no suprise you like this film!

alphamule wrote: »

If you were smart enough, you wouldnt have seen the film

I havent seen it!

I havent seen it!

So you arent really in a position to comment! :rolleyes:

of course I am, look at the actors for starters and look at the plot. Sad, ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

What's wrong with the actors then? I saw it yesterday and admittedly loved it. Yes, you need to leave your brain at the door as it has quite a few plotholes and questionable CGI/plots but then, what do you expect from this type of action film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Seen this last night and quite enjoyed it. It's the 1st time I've seen a film go full retard in terms of action and continuity in a long while but was great craic.

Was worth seeing solely for
    The super punch of justice that Vin Diesel and the Rock pulled off on gigantor inside the plane

Your name alone says enough about you, no suprise you like this film!

Directed at me?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

of course I am, look at the actors for starters and look at the plot. Sad, ridiculous!

It's a big dumb action movie that knows exactly what it is, same as the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Saw this the other week and found it very entertaining. Vin Diesel's flying head-butt, the aforementioned runway length and Gina Carrano was very fetching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cheers for the reports everyone, the poster in question has been dealt with even if you can't see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I saw this last night and enjoyed it a lot but it wasn't quite as good as Fast 5. I feel that The Rock should have been given more screen time as he has such charisma when he is on screen. Certainly more than Vin Diesel but I guess this has been Diesel's franchise since the beginning.

The plot was hardly complicated but I am confused at one thing. When
    Shaw was planning on attacking the convoy the F&F crew knew he would attack the convoy and not the base. Did they not bother telling The Rock? And why was there a tank in the truck?
    I just assume it was there to make a good action set-piece. It was a little strange the amount of collateral damage done in that scene.

While none of the stunts lived up to the car going over the cliff at the beginning of Fast 5 I did like most of the action. The last action set piece was very entertaining and like a lot of people I was laughing at the length of the runway.
    I knew that there was a cameo coming at the end of the film but I'd managed to steer clear of spoilers. Its a great choice to add Statham to the mix. Roll on Fast 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ff6runway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

Saw this last night and reallt enjoyed it. Better than number 5. Parts of it are totally ridiculous but that's what it's all about.

The action sequences were better than ever and I really like how it has set itself up for number 7.
    I guess the young fella from Tokyo Drift will be helping Vin Diesel and the gang hunt down Jason Statham. Hope he hasn't aged much in the last 7 years as he's supposed to be only 17.

No surprise it did mega bucks at the US box office beating The Hangover III and Epic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

No surprise it did mega bucks at the US box office beating The Hangover III and Epic
    The Fast & Furious do well abroad too, in particular their mad about them in several Asian countries.

I really liked the opening credits with the montage of all the films and Tyrese's character Roman has some funny one liners

I really liked the opening credits with the montage of all the films and Tyrese's character Roman has some funny one liners

I thought it was like a tv show opening, especially the end when all of them are walking towards the camera, you half expected a "previously on The Fast and The Furious" at the beginning :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    I thought it was like a tv show opening, especially the end when all of them are walking towards the camera, you half expected a "previously on The Fast and The Furious" at the beginning :pac:

Yes it was

Mr E wrote: »
    ff6runway.jpg

Sorry but I didnt get it, May be I havnt watched it yet thats why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Eli Nich wrote: »

you're onto something there! when you'll see the movie, you'll know whats up

You would have to see it, without spoiling it, there is a runway scene that just seems to go on forever!

A TAD unrealistic when it comes to the length of the runway :D

What is this I don't even..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

highly enjoyable action movie with car sequences.

really liked the Han stuff at the end.

the pacing was pretty solid. action sequences were for the most part very impressive (bar part of the bridge sequence :/)

It's come a long way from The Fast & The Furious anyway, no longer primarily about cars or tuning.

• Advertisement

You would have to see it, without spoiling it, there is a runway scene that just seems to go on forever!

A TAD unrealistic when it comes to the length of the runway :D

Ah got it will be watching it today :p
    I hope it is worth it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kaimera wrote: »
    highly enjoyable action movie with car sequences.

really liked the Han stuff at the end.

the pacing was pretty solid. action sequences were for the most part very impressive (bar part of the bridge sequence :/)

It's come a long way from The Fast & The Furious anyway, no longer primarily about cars or tuning.
    4, 5 and 6 are all the same in that respect - it is about being 'drivers' as opposed to modders. A good change of direction for the series, all very enjoyable for it. 5 the best of them, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

A much more purely entertaining and exciting blockbuster than Iron Man 3. It's not afraid of being ridiculous and is all the more fun for it.

I hope the next one has a scene with
    The Rock and Jason Statham throwing each other around a china shop.

Just out of this and I have say that Fast & Furious 6 is the most fun that I have had in the cinema in a long, long time. The franchise continues to defy expectation and is the rarest of series, one that has improved with each sequel. Part 6 is everything that a big budget summer blockbuster should be. It has a number of thrilling set pieces, one of the dumbest yet brilliant wtf moments in the history of cinema
    Dom flying through the air to save Letty. It was absolutely ridiculous and all the better for it
    , a script that is extremely well written with some of the funniest dialogue I've heard in an age and a cast who give it their all. It even manages to instill a little emotion and toward the end there is one breath taking moment that packs far more emotion than it has any right to.

I said it after part 5 and I'll say it again. Justin Lin is a brilliant director, he can stage action like no other. He has expressed interest in helming the Highlander remake and tbh every studio in Hollywood should be throwing open their doors and asking him "whatever do you want to do, you can do it here"

Far as I'm concerned Fast and Furious 6 is the best summer blockbuster we've had since, well since part 5. It's refreshing to find a big dumb film that isn't afraid to have a little fun. Iron Man 3 and Star Trek: Into Darkness were entertaining but they really aren't a patch on F&F 6. Iron Man took itself far too seriously and Into Darkness seemed afraid to slow down and just hurtled from one set piece to the next where as F&F 6 seemed to relish in the quiet moments between madness. I'm actually looking forward to grabbing the Blu-Ray of this and sitting a few friends down to watch it.

Yep its a big dumb film alright! So many holes in the plot and script its cringe worthy. Its like the writers treat the audience as morons, and the audience happily accepts. This is the way blockbusters are going these day - expendables and so on. I can see the producers sitting around now discussing it: "look guys, our audience just wana see things blow up, and lame one line comments, unrealistics stunts and CGI. This is their diet. So don't worry about putting a decent script together, making sense of everything. Stupid stunts, get the cars driving fast, move the dialogue around the room like like an 8pm NBC drama, get the token cast members to run through their one liners and we have a winner"

People might say, im happy to watch a no brainer movie and eat some popcorn. The thing is now some of these films coming out are so moronic and badly put together in terms of story, script, chain of events they are almost like parodies of themselves. Hollywood has given up on story and all it has to do nowadays is put a few bright colours and flying wrestlers on screen to capture the 'minds' of the general public. No brainer action flicks have taken no brains to another level. They are really taking the piss at this stage.

I watched Alan Parker on hard talk the other week. He said cinema is different now, big now movies are forgettable the minute you walk out of the cinema. Couldn't agree more.
    Roll on the flames from FAF fans!:D

Aren't you the big internet rebel? I've never seen such edgy opinions before.

• Advertisement

There are several film series you can attack before getting to this, you said it treats its audience like morons and I couldn't disagree more. Justin Lin is very much aware of how ridiculous elements of these films are and he invites the audience along to revel in it. There's real affection for the genre and its fans while not being cynical and borderline offensive like the work of Michael Bay.

Frankly I thought this was more coherent and consistently exciting than any Marvel movie in recent memory (I still can't think of a single wow moment in Iron Man 3). Also just because I like to watch well orchestrated car chases from time to time doesn't mean I dislike more "serious" cinema. Your post seems overly dismissive of what is fairly solid, all inclusive and innocuous summer fare. There's as much a place for big dumb (but knowingly so) movies done well as for anything else, no need for the elitism.

Yep its a big dumb film alright! So many holes in the plot and script its cringe worthy. Its like the writers treat the audience as morons, and the audience happily accepts. This is the way blockbusters are going these day - expendables and so on. I can see the producers sitting around now discussing it: "look guys, our audience just wana see things blow up, and lame one line comments, unrealistics stunts and CGI. This is their diet. So don't worry about putting a decent script together, making sense of everything. Stupid stunts, get the cars driving fast, move the dialogue around the room like like an 8pm NBC drama, get the token cast members to run through their one liners and we have a winner"

People might say, im happy to watch a no brainer movie and eat some popcorn. The thing is now some of these films coming out are so moronic and badly put together in terms of story, script, chain of events they are almost like parodies of themselves. Hollywood has given up on story and all it has to do nowadays is put a few bright colours and flying wrestlers on screen to capture the 'minds' of the general public. No brainer action flicks have taken no brains to another level. They are really taking the piss at this stage.

I watched Alan Parker on hard talk the other week. He said cinema is different now, big now movies are forgettable the minute you walk out of the cinema. Couldn't agree more.

Don't like a film, attack the audience a d imply they are idiots. Always loved that way of thinking.

You say Hollywood has given up on story yet F&F 6 has one if the best ongoing stories of any franchise. The way that the writer has managed to link every entry in the series is down right brilliant. Seriously, Chris Morgan could have easily just knocked out some generic 90 pages of thrills and spills but he's actually put some thought into what he's doing. Sure it's a film made up of ridiculous set pieces but that's the point. They aren't trying to be Rashomon or The Seventh Seal, they are actively trying to be 120 minutes of cinema that you can sit back and go with. The stunts are ridiculous and over the top but that's half the fun. You call the films brain dead but that's ludicrous, there was more going in F&F 6 than many s more serious drama. Your attention was rewarded, you can't just sit there and veg out. If you do you'd miss a number of well played out plot lines.

As for the plot holes. Well pretty much every film has them and I'm far more forgiving of them here than in other films. There were a few holes in recent blockbusters that bugged me after the film, none of the ones here have. Ion fact every time I think back over what I saw last night I remember the flying scene and chuckle. It was the stupidest thing I have ever seen yet it was also brilliant.

I could go on and on about why I like the film but let's be honest, your post is one if those that's desperately trying to be witty and superior but much like the blockbusters you seem to despise there's nothing to it. It's the same tired and generic sniping that film snobs drag out over and over again. If enjoying F&F 6 means that I'm dumb then so be it. I'd rather have people look down on me and enjoy cinema than try to desperately appear above the average blockbuster by insulting those that like it. Now I'm off to watch Battle Beyond the Stars as the original Seven Samurai may be too intellectual for a dummy like me.

e_e wrote: »
    There are several film series you can attack before getting to this, you said it treats its audience like morons and I couldn't disagree more. Justin Lin is very much aware of how ridiculous elements of these films are and he invites the audience along to revel in it. There's real affection for the genre and its fans while not being cynical and borderline offensive like the work of Michael Bay.

Frankly I thought this was more coherent and consistently exciting than any Marvel movie in recent memory (I still can't think of a single wow moment in Iron Man 3). Also just because I like to watch well orchestrated car chases from time to time doesn't mean I dislike more "serious" cinema. Your post seems overly dismissive of what is fairly solid, all inclusive and innocuous summer fare. There's as much a place for big dumb (but knowingly so) movies done well as for anything else, no need for the elitism.

I dont think Im being elitist at all here. Im not asking for serious cinema, blockbusters are fine, but inviting the audience to revel in stupidty, I don't get that as an art form unless we are dealing with a comedy.
    This franchise is a great idea. Expandables franchise is a great idea. Why can't they write something decent, and put proper stunts on instead of stuff so basic and ignorant and formulaic? Why cant a decent writer be put into one of these flicks? Some of the writing for the characters is just awful.

And yes im the hard of the hardcore internet rebels!!!!

Don't like a film, attack the audience a d imply they are idiots. Always loved that way of thinking.

You say Hollywood has given up on story yet F&F 6 has one if the best ongoing stories of any franchise. The way that the writer has managed to link every entry in the series is down right brilliant. Seriously, Chris Morgan could have easily just knocked out some generic 90 pages of thrills and spills but he's actually put some thought into what he's doing. Sure it's a film made up of ridiculous set pieces but that's the point. They aren't trying to be Rashomon or The Seventh Seal, they are actively trying to be 120 minutes of cinema that you can sit back and go with. The stunts are ridiculous and over the top but that's half the fun. You call the films brain dead but that's ludicrous, there was more going in F&F 6 than many s more serious drama. Your attention was rewarded, you can't just sit there and veg out. If you do you'd miss a number of well played out plot lines.

As for the plot holes. Well pretty much every film has them and I'm far more forgiving of them here than in other films. There were a few holes in recent blockbusters that bugged me after the film, none of the ones here have. Ion fact every time I think back over what I saw last night I remember the flying scene and chuckle. It was the stupidest thing I have ever seen yet it was also brilliant.

I could go on and on about why I like the film but let's be honest, your post is one if those that's desperately trying to be witty and superior but much like the blockbusters you seem to despise there's nothing to it. It's the same tired and generic sniping that film snobs drag out over and over again. If enjoying F&F 6 means that I'm dumb then so be it. I'd rather have people look down on me and enjoy cinema than try to desperately appear above the average blockbuster by insulting those that like it. Now I'm off to watch Battle Beyond the Stars as the original Seven Samurai may be too intellectual for a dummy like me.

Well sorry if you feel insulted by my opinion, but Im just calling it how I see it. When I sit through a film and every few mins and the holes in the movie are just jumping out and hitting me in the face I start to wonder just how low can things go, and what people are willing to accept and still write reviews lauding a piece of work that is really mindless.
    I sat through the whole thing so I am not totally elitist and snobbish :pac:, it entertained me to a degree like the other ones, but to read people going on about how good it is and its high quality, its just damning of the industry as a whole and the level of intelligence of the people who love it. All it means is things will get worse as the producers know they can fire any crap if theres some pretty faces and decent marketing behind it.

Anyway the argument has been had before and will be had again. If you want to laud ridiculous crap Im going to call you out for it, same way as I will get called elitist and snobbish for my opinion. Thems the breaks

I dont think Im being elitist at all here.
    If you don't want to appear so then it'd be best advised not to start off calling everyone who disagrees a moron. Just saying.
    Im not asking for serious cinema, blockbusters are fine, but inviting the audience to revel in stupidty, I don't get that as an art form unless we are dealing with a comedy.
    Why can't a director have the freedom to be as outlandish as he wants to be? To me this film IS partly a comedy which is why I enjoyed it so much. The ending to the bridge scene in particularly cracked me up in a "can't believe this is happening but I'm actually really enjoying it" kind of way.
    Why can't they write something decent, and put proper stunts on instead of stuff so basic and ignorant and formulaic?
    What are "proper stunts"? This and Fast Five have some incredible practical stunt work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement