Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia Kernel Crash

Options
  • 03-02-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Okay so this one is driving me simple minded...

Recently ive started getting a crash where the screen goes black and then comes back after a second or 2 with the following error

nvidia kernel mode driver (driver version) stopped responding

It only happens if the computer is idle for a while etc... so mostly we'll be watching a movie then decide to pause it for a minute and thats when it strikes.. it messes up whatever window is open and the sound seen as it goes through the graphics card also stops forcing you to relaunch the program and skip back to where you were.

It does not only occur when watching movies it can happen any time, so leaving a webpage open a while coming back to the comp and bang crash and with chrome it leaves the window black so you have to reopen chrome.

Things ive tried / checked.

Re Seated Graphics Card.
    Checked Fans are spinning on Graphics Card.
    Uninstalled recent software.
    Updated to the latest and then the Beta Nvidia drivers.
    Ran sfc /scannow
    Checked Registry for errors and repaired.

Is the card gone wonky? Any other suggestions for me.

FYI The card is a Nvidia GT430

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Check the CPU fan isn't clogged up and that the CPU isn't overheating. Had a similar issue with my old video card, display driver kept crashing, it was the CPU fan had gathered loads of crap and as a result the CPU was overheating. May be worth re-applying the CPU thermal paste also while your at it :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It might be the Windows power saver settings, dropping power to the graphics card after X minutes of inactivity.

( In Windows 7 )

Go to Start --> Control Panel --> Power Options

Click on "Change plan settings" and then "Change advanced power settings".

So there's a tree of items under power management there.
    I'd focus on
    "PCI Express" --> "Link State Power Management", setting it to "Off".

That will stop Windows from dropping the power on the graphics card to save power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Its not muck anyway and I only reseated and pasted the CPU about a month ago.

Will check the power saving options but I doubt it seen as those havent changed any time recently.

I found something that implied it might be to do with some TDR check, so I disabled this and it hasnt crashed since thankfully! Will report back in a while after Ive had more time to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elegantjihad

OMG, I am having the EXACT same problems as OP. Driving me insane. I am going to reformat the drive soon, but will wait for this guy to come back with possible solution. It's so weird, I can play games with my wireless 360 controller for hours and be fine. As soon as I bring up the console (typing with the keyboard for the first time in an hour) it instantly crashes. I even played a whole League of Legends match and was fine. I just had to make sure I was moving my mouse around constantly. If I ever let it sit idle, then the screen would flicker and pause like it was crashing again. Though, mercifully, in LoL it didn't crash the program. I've even RMA'd the card. So the problem must be residing with the NVIDIA drivers conflicting with something. I'm baffled. This whole thing started while I was installing Skyrim mods. Should have nothing to do with the issue.

• Advertisement

alright, so on MY end, I'm still having this issue, but I did look into possible hardware problems, and my voltage for the power supply does seem to be spiking on the high end for the 12v. I have tried everything else, and I wanted to upgrade the PSU anyway so I can SLI. Will be reporting back to this thread when the unit gets here. Fionni, could you let me know if you're having any issues with his PSU, and check BIOS for voltage fluctuations?

Sorry Elegantjihad,

Just remembered this now, I DID Get sorted with a registery edit to disable some power time out feature and it hasnt done it since, I will have to do some googling after work to find it for you though.

Alright, well I RMA'd the card, and got a new PSU, but I'm thinking it's more to do with this http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18493714

I did see the iehighutil.exe thing pop up RIGHT before all of this started happening. I should have put 2 and 2 together. So watch out everyone.

Advertisement