Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FT Classic Cars supplement interview with James May

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Interesting definition of "classic" status that from May.

Must be rare, beautiful or Interesting....... 2 out of 3 needed to qualify

How many of the classics frequently featured here would qualify under that definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

unfit2006 wrote: »

How many of the classics frequently featured here would qualify under that definition.
    But you see what you might find beautiful or interesting could be totally polar opposite to me and James may or no body else can tell us we're right or wrong, that's the beauty of diversity it virtually insures every car has a place at a vintage show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

unfit2006 wrote: »

Very few I'd wager. Personally I think May's definition is somewhat overly restrictive. I'd include the likes of the Porsche 944 and Fiat X1/9 within the ambit of classic status - but neither would qualify for two or more of his three defining characteristics.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The terms "beautiful" and "interesting" are both subjective, which renders the definition somewhat meaningless, imo.

What is a classic will always depend on who you ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

"Beautiful" or "interesting" are definitely in the eye of the individual beholder and as such are far too subjective to be used to define classic status. In a sense every car will be some ones classic and so it should be.

However, whenever a group of classic car enthusiasts are questioned about these same attributes, they seem to produce a fairly consistant list of classic cars which in their view possess those qualities. Are those cars on a higher level of classic car status or are they more "desirable classics" or what ?

I recall reading articles on this subject in classic car mags back in the 80's where it was considered that modern cars of that era that were seen as mundane and ordinary and were complete dogs to drive would never achieve classic status. Those same cars are now some of the more sought after cars in our classic car scene.

I feel that the term classic in the motoring sense has been misconstrued somewhat along the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement