Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting

Options
  • 03-02-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Howdy folks

Back with another "Gorey" thread im afraid, though would be interesting to hear other ppl stories also well. Looking to hear of folks commuting with bus or train to and from Dublin(south or anywhere) from Gorey regularly ?

Wondering what the times are like, going by the time tables it looks to be one heck of a commute, wondering if I am missing anything etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Car pool and reduce some bodies expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Not quite Gorey but I commute daily from Arklow (did so from Inch before that stop was culled) and it's quite doable. The Bus Éireann service is quite frequent (hourly during the day, with extra services in morning and evening peak) and the 10-journey ticket is quite good value (effectively five days worth). Apart from the main route 2 service, Gorey is also served by the 384 Commuter service and the 5/6 New Ross service.

Wexford Bus also operate on the route, not as frequent as Bus Éireann but has the advantage in that it bypasses Arklow town which may be an attraction if commuting from Gorey. Stops at Cherrywood so handy for interchanging with the Luas Green line.

Both bus companies stop at UCD which can be handy if you need to change to some of the southside Dublin Bus routes.

Iarnród Éireann - to be honest I've over ever used the train for day trips. The weekly ticket costs are more expensive than the two bus operators, timetable isn't as frequent but would probably suit those working standard office hours. Obvious advantage is that it's less likely to get delayed than road based transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

*after a long pause :) *

@Bigus true, never sure of how that works exactly (times ppl working late etc) ... but could give it a try. tis an options

@Niles I think its speed rather than frequency that I am looking at. For job purposes I gather most will service the 9-5 hours. I gather its the time for commuting that I am looking at ..where for about 1hr would that get you from Gorey. Thats a good tip on the Wexford stopping at Cherrywood btw thanks, gather though if you are connecting though you are looking at 1:30 - 2hrs on a one way commute.

As for the train how much more expensive is it do you know ? weeky that is. The times it is mentioning to dublin is about 1:45 so say 1:15 for sandymount south dublin area ... but the reality is .. ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

commute five days a week to dublin from gorey using wexford bus, by far a better service than bus eireann in my experience.

Leaves gorey at 5 past 7, get off on leeson street usually between half 8 and twenty to nine. No complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Bus is definitely the best best with Wexford bus the better, though less frequent, of the two main services. BE is improving, I think somebody has finally realised the service should be run to suit passengers. It'll take a while to filter through though.
    I travel by train a lot, purely for comfort reasons and because I don't usually have a schedule to keep to but train journey times are long compared to bus and the slightest hiccup in the Dart service can mean delays, even if it's the down train that's delayed, (the early morning trains don't usually have that problem)
    There is no prospect of an improvement in train services, indeed services have been curtailed recently so, if I had to commute, which thankfully I don't, I'd use the bus. Where, in Dublin, are you commuting to and for what time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

SCRUB wrote: »
    *after a long pause :) *

@Bigus true, never sure of how that works exactly (times ppl working late etc) ... but could give it a try. tis an options

@Niles I think its speed rather than frequency that I am looking at. For job purposes I gather most will service the 9-5 hours. I gather its the time for commuting that I am looking at ..where for about 1hr would that get you from Gorey. Thats a good tip on the Wexford stopping at Cherrywood btw thanks, gather though if you are connecting though you are looking at 1:30 - 2hrs on a one way commute.

As for the train how much more expensive is it do you know ? weeky that is. The times it is mentioning to dublin is about 1:45 so say 1:15 for sandymount south dublin area ... but the reality is .. ?

I don't know the Gorey prices but in the case of Arklow a Bus Éireann 10-journey ticket to Dublin is €60.50, a Wexford Bus weekly ticket is €65 and a train weekly ticket is €80 (All three companies do taxsaver tickets so that might be something to look into if your employer is willing).

I would imagine the Gorey prices similarly balanced.

If you do decide to use Bus Éireann don't be fooled by the X2 'Express' service, the times given for it to arrive from Wexford are simply too tight to achieve. The 6:50 384 service ex-Gorey is far better. I usually get it from Arklow, this starts in Gorey at 6:50 and is generally in the city centre around 8:30 (despite supposedly being slower than the X2 Express). Usually loads of seats too as people think it's the slower bus! Much more reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Agree with Niles as regards the 384. The 17.45hrs 384 ex Busaras is often in Gorey before the 17.30hrs X2, although the loading on this is quite heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

Thanks for all the info folks really appreciate it. Lots to chew on and think aboot.

Advertisement