Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing Off

Options
  • 03-02-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Ok, I had thought about putting up photo's of my shop/shed but thought it was in an awful mess. It still is a bit but tomorrow I'm going to give the whole place a good tidying and sort and organize everything. So here it is the way it is now. Will post more photo's when it's done.
    2012-07-15%252016.56.42.jpg?gl=IE
    2012-07-15%252016.56.33.jpg?gl=IE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

2012-07-15%252016.56.03.jpg?gl=IE

And here's a photo of my baby :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Well done.I never met a woodworker who had enough space. Just two suggestions : Paint the walls white - it will brighten up the shop no end and plan for wood storage.Nothing saps space like sheets of plywood leaning against a wall. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I agree with recipio...

I painted my walls white and the floor gray to stop dust from the floor rising. Made a big difference

I've always found the lack of room for storage of wood. I guess its fairly important to stack large amounts of it in the proper way, I've been a bit lazy on this side of things. You seem to have a lot of space , well, relative to what I have !! You should put up shelves against a wall that's 'out of the way' and use it for stacking your wood. Believe me, you'll be glad you did it.;) It removes all the clutter and stores it in the proper way too.
    The paint on the floor is a good idea, stop all the dust from kicking up. I laid an actual wooden floor on mine... My roof isen't the best. Condensation forms on the inside of it and drips during the winter. I have old sheets protecting the steel on my equipment as I used to see rusty spots forming from the bloody drips coming down. I must say, I would like to change my roof for a sturdier one. At the moment though it lets a lot of light in as its got those corrugated plastic panels in it, 4 of them. So I wonder how to compensate if I get rid of these. I do have 2 windows though, facing east however..! Not very good for light that way.

If anyone has any thoughts on it......

oops, sorry for taking over this thread....:D

• Advertisement

No worries. Like already said, painting all the walls will brighten it up a lot. As regards the roof, I couldn't tell you what to do. The space in the photos is quite damp. Not sure what to do with it. May be moving anyway to a new house which has a far bigger, drier and higher shed. Just don't know if it is wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Thats a great looking workshop you got there woodturner. That lathe of yours is making me intensely jealous. I can see from the wood laying around that you are already working on some projects. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

woodturner wrote: »
    No worries. Like already said, painting all the walls will brighten it up a lot. As regards the roof, I couldn't tell you what to do. The space in the photos is quite damp. Not sure what to do with it. May be moving anyway to a new house which has a far bigger, drier and higher shed. Just don't know if it is wired.

Shelving brackets are the best way to store wood if space is tight. Sheet goods are a real bugbear.If stored on the flat the one you want is usually in the bottom of the pile.
    The best compromise imho is to store them vertically on the narrow 4' end but try and separate them with spacers.
    Have fun with the lathe -its a rebranded Powermatic which are the 'Rolls Royce' of woodworking machinery in the 'States.

So I started to tidy the place but thought making shavings would be more fun. Besides, I can tidy it tomorrow provided nothing else stands out and looks like it needs turning into something :D
    2013-02-07%252014.36.50.jpg?gl=IE

2013-02-07%252016.07.54.jpg?gl=IE

2013-02-07%252016.32.00.jpg?gl=IE

2013-02-07%252016.32.07.jpg?gl=IE

2013-02-07%252016.31.14.jpg?gl=IE

The small bowls were cored from the centre of the large bowls using the Kel McNaughton coring system.

There are 3 Ash bowls in the potato sack in the last photo and shavings in the two polythene sacks from the Ash bowls and the 4 Cherry bowls done a week ago. My niece told me earlier than a tree blew down past my sisters house today. Tomorrow I'm gonna see what it is and if I can score a couple of pieces from it before it's turned into firewood.

• Advertisement

Very nice. Do you have to let the wood dry a bit first and for how long. Then how long do you leave them in the bags for?. One thing in woodwork I know little about is wood turning. Even though I have a lathe : :)

richiek67 wrote: »
    Very nice. Do you have to let the wood dry a bit first and for how long. Then how long do you leave them in the bags for?. One thing in woodwork I know little about is wood turning. Even though I have a lathe : :)

The bowls are turned to 10% of the overall diameter. These were 350mm so the wall thickness is an even 35mm thick the whole way through. This ensures they dry evenly. If it was thinner say at the rim, it would dry out much quicker than the base of the bowl and cracks would develop. The end grain on the rough bowls were coated with PVA to slow down the drying for the same reason. They will take anywhere from 8-12 months to dry enough to finish turn. When finished the wall will be between 12-18mm thick. There is a small section of the log left over that I am going to make salad servers with for the bowls.

bowl%2520011.jpg?gl=IE

2012-07-19%252017.20.20.jpg?gl=IE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

woodturner wrote: »
    bowl%2520011.jpg?gl=IE

2012-07-19%252017.20.20.jpg?gl=IE

Nice work

Wow, they are great. I love the finish and colour. I always like to leave the knots in the wood. A lot of mass produced furniture always looks so clinical and without character, even if it is solid. I have always left them in , shows more character and give visual to look at too.
    Whats the dark bowel from?

Must be frustrating having to be patient...lol..I guess though you probably have a constant feed...

Anyway, Nice work..

richiek67 wrote: »
    Wow, they are great. I love the finish and colour. I always like to leave the knots in the wood. A lot of mass produced furniture always looks so clinical and without character, even if it is solid. I have always left them in , shows more character and give visual to look at too.
    Whats the dark bowel from?

Must be frustrating having to be patient...lol..I guess though you probably have a constant feed...

Anyway, Nice work..

The dark bowl is burr elm. A friend gave it to me to turn for him. The cherry bowls above are his also. I have very little wood for turning. I love turning wet wood and have streams of shavings fly across the workshop. Sadly most of the wood i would be after is cut for firewood. All i have left at the moment is all small stuff for pens, lidded boxes and shaving brushes.

Advertisement