Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Farming General

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Grandos. I was in a mad rush to send off samples for beef calves on Friday, and somehow ended up posting the wrong samples instead, my dad all set to go on Thursday with them to the mart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Have a cow today diagnosed with a right displaced abdomin. Only option to factory her before loses condition. Shame was one of my best cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

kowtow wrote: »
    I think you are probably right.

Still, will do no harm if the figures coming out of it are fulsome and transparent... the purely pastoral approach for Ireland makes perfect sense in a laboratory where you can pretend that it is one big farm, but on the ground the reality is very different. Hard to think of a country where de-fragmenting small landholdings is more difficult or more expensive than here - we should certainly not be abandoning research on more intensive approaches.

Apart from anything else housing is a reality for us - due to the weather - for a fair part of the year, and a more intensive venue might well support research which is beneficial for both welfare and productivity.

This won't have figures coming out every week like Greenfield's, it will have publications like teagasc produces, these will still probably not have any figures relating to cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Have a cow today diagnosed with a right displaced abdomin. Only option to factory her before loses condition. Shame was one of my best cows.

Is an operation to correct it out of the question? Never had one here but have often heard it discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

That's a real sickener, the temptation is to keep her and see if she'll get over it, but she prob won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Can you not operate. Never had an RdA, but an LDA operation is very sucessful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I think the rda is 50/50 with regards to being successful according to our vets anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If the cow warrants it, send her to UCD. For €200 they do a great job.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

on of my vets specializes in this , done 2 right and 1 left surgery for us over the last few years

one was a very bad case, but all 3 made a fast & full recovery,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Operated on an lda last year, she was dead the next morning. She's not a young cow so not gonna risk operating thus time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

On the BVD sampling... have any of ye got false results from lab??

i sent off 48 samples last thurs.... all clear bar 2... which im told are positive..... both calves have been isolated.... i have to say im wicked suspicious.... both calves were born within a couple of hrs of each other... both are tagged one after the other... last 3 digits of one is 409.. the other 410... dams are fine... there calves were clear last yr...

i just think its an awful coincidence that 2 born close to each other are positive and the others are grand.... especially from that number of samples....

anyone with any opinions....?

should also say one of the calves is a beautiful heifer sired by Twist.... i'll be sickened if shes positive in retest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

all you can do is re-test, chances are they'll come back clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

i sent off 48 samples last thurs.... all clear bar 2... which im told are positive..... both calves have been isolated.... i have to say im wicked suspicious.... both calves were born within a couple of hrs of each other... both are tagged one after the other... last 3 digits of one is 409.. the other 410... dams are fine... there calves were clear last yr...

i just think its an awful coincidence that 2 born close to each other are positive and the others are grand.... especially from that number of samples....

anyone with any opinions....?

should also say one of the calves is a beautiful heifer sired by Twist.... i'll be sickened if shes positive in retest

If they were born so close there is a chance the dams came in contact with the virus at the same time? Either way a retest will tell hopefully it'll come clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Kerry to pay .22 cent on 2014 milk next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

KCTK wrote: »
    Kerry to pay .22 cent on 2014 milk next month
    ....which was taken off the 2015 fixed price;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

i sent one of last year and it wasnt in the plastic container (it cracked on me) and was only animal calf to test positive i still find it to much of coinsidence, considering the mother tested negitive it has us and our vet baffled. vet couldn explain it. sent batch off last week no results yet

are some ai bulls carriers? are they tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Fierce humid day here today. Couldn't wear a jacket all day

i sent one of last year and it wasnt in the plastic container (it cracked on me) and was only animal calf to test positive i still find it to much of coinsidence, considering the mother tested negitive it has us and our vet baffled. vet couldn explain it. sent batch off last week no results yet

are some ai bulls carriers? are they tested?
    All bulls entering AI are tested for a range of diseases like BVD, IBR and a host of others.

There were a good few bulls slaughtered a few years back when a bull in the station was found to be carrying a transmittable disease and failed one of the regular tests. The AI stations are supposed to be building a second stud now to reduce the risk of it happening again

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

That was in Enfield whole stud was wiped out when they found IBR, it also happened in Tully one year and that was a false positive IBR test. I remember the breeders going mad over the level of compensation offered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

what bout imported straws surely this bvd came out of somewhere,
    ya rem that happenin closed the stud, cant visit studs anymore to view bulls which is a bit of a pity always nice to c the bull, fancy pic never does justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

what bout imported straws surely this bvd came out of somewhere,
    ya rem that happenin closed the stud, cant visit studs anymore to view bulls which is a bit of a pity always nice to c the bull, fancy pic never does justice
    ai man,vet, scanning man etc , i am sure they all dont wash and disenfect properly between farms, all semen whether imported or irish is screened .

Where on icbf can you see if a calf has the bvd results back?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Timmaay wrote: »

Services > animal health Ireland

I think

under services, then ahi, then view lab results. the ones i sent in on monday are up now

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Cow Porter wrote: »
    Services > animal health Ireland

I think

You have to be in desktop view and it's services > ahi animal health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Has himself the trailer on already !

Cow that had ecoli back milking full belt.

what tubes do you use, started using cobactan , they are a great job, 1 tube normally cures them.

whelan2 wrote: »
    what tubes do you use, started using cobactan , they are a great job, 1 tube normally cures them.

Synulox or tetra delta
    Renewed prescription there in Dec and still no new one.
    Supposed to be some problem with them
    Hope they sort it out soon as I've only enough left for two cows

Bullocks wrote: »
    Has himself the trailer on already !

Text came through at 9am, he wanted to be gone at 9.30 so was pushing it too late and he wouldn't go with them after all that! You can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Must be the jersey blood, a holstien would be dead or dry and nearly dead.

mf240 wrote: »
    Must be the jersey blood, a holstien would be dead or dry and nearly dead.

Ya'd be wrong :D
    Pure hol. Not a nice one doh never puts a pound of flesh on herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Great news. Had one ourselves got in time back fine and didn't lose spin. She's with penicillin cows still full of antibiotic but fine

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CowMeister

Do any of ye genotype your heifer calves. Half thinking of doing it here this year. Is it worth doing do ye think.

CowMeister wrote: »
    Do any of ye genotype your heifer calves. Half thinking of doing it here this year. Is it worth doing do ye think.

Unless ur selling I can't see any point.

Dm Stan/ MJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Unless ur selling I can't see any point.

Doing all heifers this year and also my heifers that have just calved.ive been selling Bulls and hope to be selling heifers in calf within bext 2 years again once I reach my max Sr.the more info you have the better.ive also had a lot of bull calves genotype iver last 3 years by the Ai companies ,none have made the cut yet but it's aim of mine to get a bull into Ai.going to cost beca lot to genotype heifers this year,running 77% heifers to Bulls.nice problem to have!!!

Does anyone think there's a problem coming down the road where these 'fantastic' genotyped bulls are having there sons genetyped and figure coming back even higher again 'surely he's a great bull'
    But there's no great accurate info from the father still so how can ye trust the sons info.

Does anyone think there's a problem coming down the road where these 'fantastic' genotyped bulls are having there sons genetyped and figure coming back even higher again 'surely he's a great bull'
    But there's no great accurate info from the father still so how can ye trust the sons info.
    Individual bulls will fluctuate greatly but the average of the bulls won't so they recommend the use of a panel of at least 5 bulls to guard against an individual bull being sh!te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

They say use 5 or 6 of them and you'll get the average. I never saw the maths behind this statement, maybe if I could come at it I could apply it to my business with paddy power. I multiply the EBI figure by the percentage reliability. 300 EBI at 50% reliability is 150 here until daughters prove otherwise.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Doing all heifers this year and also my heifers that have just calved.ive been selling Bulls and hope to be selling heifers in calf within bext 2 years again once I reach my max Sr.the more info you have the better.ive also had a lot of bull calves genotype iver last 3 years by the Ai companies ,none have made the cut yet but it's aim of mine to get a bull into Ai.going to cost beca lot to genotype heifers this year,running 77% heifers to Bulls.nice problem to have!!!

Good post MJ
    I never looked at it that way. We're maxed out here and have an option on another farm. 2 yrs will have that fully stocked and your plan sounds good for 3 yrs time.

Head scratching now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Good post MJ
    I never looked at it that way. We're maxed out here and have an option on another farm. 2 yrs will have that fully stocked and your plan sounds good for 3 yrs time.

Head scratching now ;)

Sure what Ai company would want ur auld x breds!!!!

Ah now don't be stupid frazz, you'll be onto farm number 3 and possibly 4 by then :p

Ah now don't be stupid frazz, you'll be onto farm number 3 and possibly 4 by then :p

Next one is no 3 ;);)

12 gone for genotype last week they're looking for one other cows calf. I hope it's a heifer they hope its a bull :):)

• Advertisement

The ai company you'll be buying from to cross off your Bambis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Always amazes me that we as a country have a tiny selection of bulls being tested each year yet they magically all make the top 100 ebi bulls list. Other countries that test 10 and 20 times more bulls must be doing something wrong... Then I ask myself if our bulls are all world beaters how come no other country wants them?. Not saying the system doesn't work but it's massively overstated.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Always amazes me that we as a country have a tiny selection of bulls being tested each year yet they magically all make the top 100 ebi bulls list. Other countries that test 10 and 20 times more bulls must be doing something wrong... Then I ask myself if our bulls are all world beaters how come no other country wants them?. Not saying the system doesn't work but it's massively overstated.
    No other European country has a grass based seasonal milk production industry. The only other major country that has a similar system is NZ.

We spent years importing bulls based solely on output with no regard for the need for a 365 day calving interval and it was only last year that the national herds fertility returned to where it was 20 years ago.

And where better to pick breeding bulls from than from the animal population that has proven its worth under Irish production conditions. It wouldn't really be a good idea to be picking most of our bulls from Holland or the UK or USA where the idea of calving every 12 months makes no sense with the systems they use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

every animal on the farm is genotyped here
    started 4 years ago
    sold low ebi surplus stock as calved heifers
    ebi of herd 188
    sold 669kg ms per cow in 2013 with a calving interval of 364days
    in 5 years fertility sub index went from 7 to 95 and knocked 60days off ci
    better fertilty has lead to more stock and cow numbers have doubled with out a strain on cashflow

did i mention ive a herd of pedigree holstiens

other breeders think were mad

stanflt wrote: »
    every animal on the farm is genotyped here
    started 4 years ago
    sold low ebi surplus stock as calved heifers
    ebi of herd 188
    sold 669kg ms per cow in 2013 with a calving interval of 364days
    in 5 years fertility sub index went from 7 to 95 and knocked 60days off ci
    better fertilty has lead to more stock and cow numbers have doubled with out a strain on cashflow

did i mention ive a herd of pedigree holstiens

other breeders think were mad
    You are mad, but in the best way:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement