Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Farming General

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Dawggone wrote: »
    Why not make use of a cheap energy source and cut back on hi energy concentrates?
    It's a no brainer really.

Weather here is shyte. Getting inches of rain non stop. Cows should be out here with a month.
    We haven't a reliable source for them there's plenty available but higher input guys will get looked after first as there buying a lot more than us and would be regular customers. We wont be feeding a whole lot of concentrates once weather improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Seems their having a lot of problems with heifers calving down to genomic bulls at greenfields 2 c-sections and lots of hard-calvings, so much so that no genomic Bulls are being used on heifers next year...

C-sections? Abigail told us the other day they won't use genomic bulls on heifers again but I don't think there was any c sections.
    Going back the je that pops out the little smartie and heifer is up as soon as its out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

did anyone else have any other poor calving experiences wit the geonmic bulls, was considering using one this year might rethink putting it on heifers now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Can use 28ton in a week.
    Anyone have any idea of the approx DM of spuds? I'm assuming 14%DM.

I have it here as 20% dm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Two v fine heifers calved here lastnight, had been admiring them all wk. Milked them this morning, and both had a back quarter with mastitis, will do well to get both quarters back in milk for this yr. Feckin hate when that happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

did anyone else have any other poor calving experiences wit the geonmic bulls, was considering using one this year might rethink putting it on heifers now

SOK was easy rated a few years back so I used him . Bad idea . Not used genomic on heifers since. Lic have genomic bulls with no calving survey here but plenty calvings from last season in nz . Best of both worlds .

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

C-sections? Abigail told us the other day they won't use genomic bulls on heifers again but I don't think there was any c sections.
    Going back the je that pops out the little smartie and heifer is up as soon as its out

According to their weekly notes they have been 2 sections anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Midfield9 wrote: »
    According to their weekly notes they have been 2 sections anyway
    where can we read their weekly notes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Yes, I think its mad using them on heifers. Team of 5 and 4 could be grand it only takes 1 hoor to destroy heifers.

I think its folly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Seems their having a lot of problems with heifers calving down to genomic bulls at greenfields 2 c-sections and lots of hard-calvings, so much so that no genomic Bulls are being used on heifers next year...

Lads were warned not to use bulls without a calving survey- it's their own risk- the icbf bull selector warns you about using it when your doing a bull run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Was 2 collections shy of filling the winter quota, would only be one if the lorry called before 12 last nite instead of 5 this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

OK Lads,
    I've been offered this by-product and I'm thinking of ensiling with the first cut in about a months time.
    The breakdown :
    Mix of brewing wheat and barley, wheat gluten, corn oil.

DM ~50 to 55%.
    Protein 35% guaranteed.
    Energy 10%.

So, would it be easy to conserve?
    What's it worth?
    Minimum order 56 ton...

OK Lads,
    I've been offered this by-product and I'm thinking of ensiling with the first cut in about a months time.
    The breakdown :

DM ~50 to 55%.
    Protein 35% guaranteed.
    Energy 10%.

What's it worth?
    Minimum order 56 ton...

Serious feed if mixed with maize- worth 200/ton dm

Calf born here this morning at 6.
    He has his head going round in circles all the time.
    Has his head tucked in by his shoulder but will start spinning when ye try get him up.
    Can't stand either

stanflt wrote: »
    Serious feed if mixed with maize- worth 200/ton dm

It's coming in at €162/tonDM.

I'm a bit concerned as regards conserving it with first cut because my grass includes a lot of clover which is a b*stard to preserve at the best of times...its a risk you take when aiming for 20%+ protein.
    It wouldn't be an option to put in maize pit.

Calf born here this morning at 6.
    He has his head going round in circles all the time.
    Has his head tucked in by his shoulder but will start spinning when ye try get him up.
    Can't stand either

Water in the brain?

Better the calf than you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

OK Lads,
    The breakdown :

DM ~50 to 55%.
    Protein 35% guaranteed.
    Energy 10%.

What's it worth?
    Minimum order 56 ton...
    Do you know what % of each is in it? And what is the 'energy'- me,ne,de,ufl,tdn?

It's coming in at €162/tonDM.

I'm a bit concerned as regards conserving it with first cut because my grass includes a lot of clover which is a b*stard to preserve at the best of times...its a risk you take when aiming for 20%+ protein.
    It wouldn't be an option to put in maize pit.

I pit brewers mixed with beet pulp 6:1 in a seperated pit

20 feet wide 9 high
    Serious job

Usually pit 200 ton in summer for feeding in winter

I pit brewers mixed with beet pulp 6:1 in a seperated pit

20 feet wide 9 high
    Serious job

Usually pit 200 ton in summer for feeding in winter

Does the quality of the brewers vary much Stan?

• Advertisement

Milked out wrote: »
    Does the quality of the brewers vary much Stan?

no

15 in the calving box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Mad craic earlier...cow choking on a potato...all is well now.

Glad she ok. Trying out this new fad of himalyian rock salt as a min lick and was thinking that small shards of it could be dangerous is they went to swallow them

conor t wrote: »
    Do you know what % of each is in it? And what is the 'energy'- me,ne,de,ufl,tdn?

Ufl 1.06
    Ufv 0.98
    Pdin 250g
    Pdie 150g
    Pdia 140g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Ufl 1.06
    Ufv 0.98
    Pdin 250g
    Pdie 150g
    Pdia 140g

Now. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Now. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Do you think there's a bang off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Mad craic earlier...cow choking on a potato...all is well now.
    Anyone feed spuds to cows? There is a certain risk I suppose because the wagon doesn't chop all of the spuds.

I don't need to feed spuds but the price is ridiculously low...

I know people who went broke from buying bargains.:P

A few years ago when spuds were cheap I did a bit of digging and found a bit of research in New Brunswick about feeding spuds to livestock. They are big into spuds there by all accounts. They are par cooked in the ensiling process but not enough to prevent the choking hazard completely. Link here.

http://www.gnb.ca/0170/01700002-e.asp

I know people who went broke from buying bargains.:P

A few years ago when spuds were cheap I did a bit of digging and found a bit of research in New Brunswick about feeding spuds to livestock. They are big into spuds there by all accounts. They are par cooked in the ensiling process but not enough to prevent the choking hazard completely. Link here.

http://www.gnb.ca/0170/01700002-e.asp

Excellent.
    It's only a bargain if you need it....:)

The way I look at it is...grain maize 'might' be worth x €'s/ton and I can buy energy at x minus/ton....so go for it....I must be mad!

Went to war with two jex heifers tonight.
    One calved last night other this morning.
    Sauntered into parlour this morning grand and handy didn't look sideways at me putting on cluster.
    Tonight they broke me up like a feckin tag team !!
    Got the better of then after half an hour but not looking forward to the morning

• Advertisement

Went to war with two jex heifers tonight.
    One calved last night other this morning.
    Sauntered into parlour this morning grand and handy didn't look sideways at me putting on cluster.
    Tonight they broke me up like a feckin tag team !!
    Got the better of then after half an hour but not looking forward to the morning

LOL.
    Score yourself a few Hols GG. :)

They want to be milked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

LOL.

They want to be milked!

They want nuts and will do anything for them, even be quiet and calm ha! Most my heifers are very quiet and well mannered, they walk in no bother to get nuts. But 2 total nutjobs who just won't stop kicking, utterly wrecking my head by now.

Timmaay wrote: »
    They want nuts and will do anything for them, even be quiet and calm ha! Most my heifers are very quiet and well mannered, they walk in no bother to get nuts. But 2 total nutjobs who just won't stop kicking, utterly wrecking my head by now.[/quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

They want nuts and will do anything for them, even be quiet and calm ha! Most my heifers are very quiet and well mannered, they walk in no bother to get nuts. But 2 total nutjobs who just won't stop kicking, utterly wrecking my head by now.

Have four absolute ***** this year, three work fine with the kick bar on and the other one you dare not go near her with the kick bar, slowly dribble the nuts to her and be ready to take them off or she will. Takes the pleasure out of milking alright.

LOL.

They want to be milked!

Dad said one of them looks like angus. Maybe he's right. Had one of them growling at me all milking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

C0N0R wrote: »
    Have four absolute ***** this year, three work fine with the kick bar on and the other one you dare not go near her with the kick bar, slowly dribble the nuts to her and be ready to take them off or she will. Takes the pleasure out of milking alright.

Bribable, like politicians. Some parties cost less than others.:cool:

• Advertisement

Dad said one of them looks like angus. Maybe he's right. Had one of them growling at me all milking

One of those black yokes is it ??

:)

One of those black yokes is it ??

Big pot belly on her. Was harmless when she calved. Nice animal I think. You'll disagree :D

Big pot belly on her. Was harmless when she calved. Nice animal I think. You'll disagree :D

Couldn't disagree.

In fairness every man to his own.

Do you think there's a bang off it?

No Dawg. I was referring tounge and cheek to the previous poster for asking the question. You answered comprehensively

No Dawg. I was referring tounge and cheek to the previous poster for asking the question. You answered comprehensively

conor t can also answer comprehensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Better sit down, folks.

I just heard 40 acres of grassland to lease for 10 years going for 17k a year.

That's 425 euro an acre:eek:

is that in north kerry at all???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Fcuk it. Second calver bulling tonight. Cows in for the night, got knocked, back legs gone east west. Think shes bolloxed. Oh I hate March, always theses kind of things in March. Next will be scour in the calves surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Fcuk it. Second calver bulling tonight. Cows in for the night, got knocked, back legs gone east west. Think shes bolloxed. Oh I hate March, always theses kind of things in March. Next will be scour in the calves surely

Agreed, March/April the worst months, sheds jammers with calf's etc, higher disease risks, longer milking with more cows going through the parlour and always the few very slow rows with heifers causing hassle (back up to 2hrs each milking here). Your mentally and physically worn out with calving dragging on.

After calving for how many milkings is colostrum affective in cows that got rotavec.

Agreed, March/April the worst months, sheds jammers with calf's etc, higher disease risks, longer milking with more cows going through the parlour and always the few very slow rows with heifers causing hassle (back up to 2hrs each milking here). Your mentally and physically worn out with calving dragging on.

Was with a guy this afternoon, 140 calved and 80 cubicles.

At home I'd say we'd beat Casperov in chess with the juggling of cows to make space. Big calving week last week freed a lot of space. All calves with cards and BVD going weekly

Cows back in since Sun am and will keep in tomorrow as we got to go away. Easier for milker to have in.

We're only milking penno grp OAD since mid week and its freeing a lot of time.

The calves on adlib milk has saved lots of time. We feed and bed after milking penno grp and only look after slower drinkers and new calves in the evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

15 in the calving box

Good luck 2 with tail up should be done in an hour

Feckers are bulling mad here, the whores better be this active come the end of april. cow got stuck in cubicles sun, she had twins 3 weeks ago but id say she got hurt by ones bulling, had to call the knackary today for her

Was with a guy this afternoon, 140 calved and 80 cubicles.

At home I'd say we'd beat Casperov in chess with the juggling of cows to make space. Big calving week last week freed a lot of space. All calves with cards and BVD going weekly

Cows back in since Sun am and will keep in tomorrow as we got to go away. Easier for milker to have in.

We're only milking penno grp OAD since mid week and its freeing a lot of time.

The calves on adlib milk has saved lots of time. We feed and bed after milking penno grp and only look after slower drinkers and new calves in the evening

Do you think you'll go with adlib milk next year for the first few weeks again frazz? Also milking a small group of walking wounded here once a day, saves time and allows them to gain condition, considering drying some of them alltogether as have a good shot of heifers for the bull this spring.
    Will have extra housing of a hayshed with leanto's either side for next winter so will try to sort that during the summer to take 30 or so dry cows and maybe a few of the lighter yearlings and free up cubicles here as space makes a massive difference to performance when inside with less pressure on man and beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

After calving for how many milkings is colostrum affective in cows that got rotavec.
    in calves fed with pooled colostrum protection will continue until colostrum feeding ceases, in naturally sucked calves, protection against rotavirus will persist for 7 days and for coronavirus fo at least 14 days

Milked out wrote: »
    Do you think you'll go with adlib milk next year for the first few weeks again frazz? Also milking a small group of walking wounded here once a day, saves time and allows them to gain condition, considering drying some of them alltogether as have a good shot of heifers for the bull this spring.
    Will have extra housing of a hayshed with leanto's either side for next winter so will try to sort that during the summer to take 30 or so dry cows and maybe a few of the lighter yearlings and free up cubicles here as space makes a massive difference to performance when inside with less pressure on man and beast

We will for definite. We are pushing to fill quota here and are still happy at it.

It has given calves a great start and means feeding OAD leaving a lot more time for herding

Averaging 6.5 litres per day. Used no replacer on older ones yet as cows calving hard still. Lots of milk being held.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement