Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Farming General

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

trixi2011 wrote: »
    back home already:( tomorrow is a school day

That never stopped us before!! You didn't stay in the stadium for the England game then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

trixi2011 wrote: »
    just home from the match sickened that I've to milk in the morning was mental up there when I left at 6

Was a super match.
    they worked hard today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think alot depends on the lorry driver

Lorry driver that come here is sound out never a word and hes been collecting milk here for 30 + years.

He tells me some farmers can be a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Was a super match.
    they worked hard today

Was great rugby today in general, was a great way to finish it with France turning the ball over, was not impressed when they decided to run the penalty from their own line instead of kick it out though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Is it a coop?
    its not come to think of it French plc . Rules are a lot stricter over here on milk storage its illegal to store milk over 2 days almost all farms I know of are on every day pickup. Milk has to be below 7 degrees immediately after milking

• Advertisement

I'd tell him to phuck off and I'd deal with coop myself

In fairness glanbia will work with you if you have a genuine cooler breakdown or other problem.

mf240 wrote: »
    Lorry driver that come here is sound out never a word and hes been collecting milk here for 30 + years.

He tells me some farmers can be a right pain.

lorry driver at home comes into the house every day for tea even the days he is not picking up.

C0N0R wrote: »
    Was great rugby today in general, was a great way to finish it with France turning the ball over, was not impressed when they decided to run the penalty from their own line instead of kick it out though!!

missed the England French game sounds like it was some spectical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

So far so good. Another 2 grps of calves out. Only calves indoors are 2 Wo and less.

First group coming near weaning from looking at them. What weight should they be at weaning?

So far so good. Another 2 grps of calves out. Only calves indoors are 2 Wo and less.

First group coming near weaning from looking at them. What weight should they be at weaning?

Glanbia lad here tomorrow I've a batch not far off weaning too ill see what he thinks.
    I like them to be nearly 90kgs any way

• Advertisement

Have a 10 yr old cow here due to calve soon. Always as dung like water weather she us dry or milking.
    Was clipping there tails last week and said I'd give her a dose of zanil.
    Seen her dunging there now dung like a rock
    all cows were dosed with Albex 6 wks after housing and all cleared our apart from thus lady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Have a 10 yr old cow here due to calve soon. Always as dung like water weather she us dry or milking.
    Was clipping there tails last week and said I'd give her a dose of zanil.
    Seen her dunging there now dung like a rock
    all cows were dosed with Albex 6 wks after housing and all cleared our apart from thus lady

Rumen fluke ???

orm0nd wrote: »
    Rumen fluke ???

Would lead me to think so any way. But is always in good bcs

Double the birth weight plus 10 kgs at least 8 wks old.
    wait until the smallest I'm your first batch hits this though was his advice for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

bloody cruds in a cows quarter this morning, she ate meal alright because I had to give her extra few to draw that quarter. any ideas ?they were fairly big cruds aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

visatorro wrote: »
    bloody cruds in a cows quarter this morning, she ate meal alright because I had to give her extra few to draw that quarter. any ideas ?they were fairly big cruds aswell

Same here this morning. Put it down to the cold night. Didn't seem too bad an infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    cobactan tubes are the business, 1 tube , only downside is 120 hour milk withdrawal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

cobactan tubes are the business, 1 tube , only downside is 120 hour milk withdrawal

But is it?

Dry cow tubes are designed to stay and sort out a problem or prevent establishment. Milking cow tubes are intended to carry out a guerilla raid on the quarter. If the withdrawal time is indicative of how long they hang around and presumably how effective they are, then is a short hit the best answer?

You are balancing loss of earnings against the chances of sub-clinical mastitis or a high cell count.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    But is it?

Dry cow tubes are designed to stay and sort out a problem or prevent establishment. Milking cow tubes are intended to carry out a guerilla raid on the quarter. If the withdrawal time is indicative of how long they hang around and presumably how effective they are, then is a short hit the best answer?

You are balancing loss of earnings against the chances of sub-clinical mastitis or a high cell count.

My vet warns constantly about the folly and false economy of not finishing full course of antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭einn32

My vet warns constantly about the folly and false economy of not finishing full course of antibiotics.

I agree. Cobactin requires three treatments as it states on the leaflet. You are actually helping create resistance strains of bacteria by only administering one tube. Short term gain leading to a long term widespread problem. The withdrawal period is painful alright!

Prevent rather than treat disease.

• Advertisement

einn32 wrote: »
    I agree. Cobactin requires three treatments as it states on the leaflet. You are actually helping create resistance strains of bacteria by only administering one tube. Short term gain leading to a long term widespread problem. The withdrawal period is painful alright!

Prevent rather than treat disease.
    if the case is bad it gets the 3 tubes, in fairness i have given 2 cows just 1 tube, on the full tratment withdrawal is a week from start to finish. I am fully aware of building up resistance , one of my kids is resistant to some antibiotics due to contant use of them when she was young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

MRSA,C dificile and other antibiotic resistant bugs supposed to be very prevalent among pig farmers( and their families) in Denmark and Holland . Some completely resistant at this stage - due to exposure- doubt it's different here .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

waiting for the vet,1 of my new heifers that is calved 3 weeks is in trouble ,she is forcing and her behind is all swelled as if she had a hard calving,shes in discomfort what ever is up any ideas before he gets here,:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EpicPothole

I see a few lads high up in 2 of the West Cork coops have been caught feathering their own nest. a bit like the high up person in Glanbia a few months ago. And some people here wanted the glanbia man given a telling off and then brush it under the carpet. Fine them 5 times the quota they got and it'd soften their cough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I see a few lads high up in 2 of the West Cork coops have been caught feathering their own nest. a bit like the high up person in Glanbia a few months ago. And some people here wanted the glanbia man given a telling off and then brush it under the carpet. Fine them 5 times the quota they got and it'd soften their cough.

I presume you are on about this

leg wax wrote: »
    waiting for the vet,1 of my new heifers that is calved 3 weeks is in trouble ,she is forcing and her behind is all swelled as if she had a hard calving,shes in discomfort what ever is up any ideas before he gets here,:confused:
    how is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I presume you are on about this
    It looks like they accessed quota legally but, being board members in the know, kept most of it for themselves instead of allowing all farmers access to it.

Pretty crappy thing to do, if the reports are true:mad:

It looks like they accessed quota legally but, being board members in the know, kept most of it for themselves instead of allowing all farmers access to it.

Pretty crappy thing to do, if the reports are true:mad:

Don't know how crappy it was but it was naive in the extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Went clear in herd test thankfully, have to do the yearly one again in autumn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Don't know how crappy it was but it was naive in the extreme

Crappy, naive, stinky whatever, they didn't do themselves any favours. Would find it hard to see those board members re-elected.

Milked out wrote: »
    Went clear in herd test thankfully, have to do the yearly one again in autumn

Helped a bit with the superlevy I Hope?

Wasn't locked up this year gg. Was a bad outbreak round here 3.5 y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Crappy, naive, stinky whatever, they didn't do themselves any favours. Would find it hard to see those board members re-elected.

My blood would boil if it affected me. Crappy is not the word I'd use.... stealing from every over quota member of the co-ops pocket is more like it

Wasn't locked up this year gg. Was a bad outbreak round here 3 yrs ago, lost 10 1st and 2nd calvers, took us 12 months to go clear others a bit longer so have been.tested.every 6 months since in the area, didn't think I'd have to test again this spring but a neighbour had one went down in a factory last summer so we had to go again.

My blood would boil if it affected me. Crappy is not the word I'd use.... stealing from every over quota member of the co-ops pocket is more like it
    That's the way the report reads alright but print media has form in hyping up a situation for their own ends. I would keep my powder dry until the full facts come out, is all.

• Advertisement

Have never had as good a bulling action in cows as we're getting so far this yr.
    2 bulling most days.
    5 at it here now.
    Great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Have just calved the last few cows that will bring me to sr 3.5 on the grazing block where I intend stick for this year. 20 left to calve. Most will calve over the next three weeks.Must go back into those calved and take out any passengers. Where to draw the line. Some will flag themselves, older cows on three teat etc. I did a lot of culling over the last few years taking out any problem cows. Scc for last year average 80k and last result 65k so no scc problems, no lameness problems either. Would I take out the lowest solids cows? Low yielders?. Or just sell what calves from now on?

Have just calved the last few cows that will bring me to sr 3.5 on the grazing block where I intend stick for this year. 20 left to calve. Most will calve over the next three weeks.Must go back into those calved and take out any passengers. Where to draw the line. Some will flag themselves, older cows on three teat etc. I did a lot of culling over the last few years taking out any problem cows. Scc for last year average 80k and last result 65k so no scc problems, no lameness problems either. Would I take out the lowest solids cows? Low yielders?. Or just sell what calves from now on?

If you have nothing obvious to pull a cow out on that's calved would selling what's left be better as ones calved have more time to go back in calf thus keeping pattern tight plus no more baby calves to be minding etc. The Last year we sold everything that was to calve in April on was a super job could just focus on what's there, milking and grass with less work as calves were more or less reared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

leg wax wrote: »

any update, ?

had one unable to pass water with the same symptoms

Lovely position to be in. I'd sell all left to calve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

ah sure you cant be tough on top men,sure its they make profit-making decisions
    imo one of those had enough going on without getting involved in quota shareout issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

orm0nd wrote: »
    any update, ?

had one unable to pass water with the same symptoms

she had no temp and loos fine in her general looks as in her eye and nose,he said it looks like that early stages of after eating something and now shes sensitive to the sun light.3 bottles left to give her a shot for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

6 former glanbia farms including one New entrant within 5 miles of me on my road milking 1000+ cows between them are supplying strathroy now

6 former glanbia farms including one New entrant within 5 miles of me on my road milking 1000+ cows between them are supplying strathroy now
    are you feeling under pressure to join them:) how are they getting on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

More power to them and best of luck,question still remains to be answered is what price and at what solids ????.that info very slow comming forward.going to be a fair bit of chopping and changing of processors from next week.hope lads doing it look at big picture and take a long term view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

are you feeling under pressure to join them:) how are they getting on?

They seem fine,all happy out
    Price wise give or take from one milk statement I saw they're not any worse off
    Yeah I'm feeling a tad surrounded but staying where I am

mahoney_j wrote: »
    More power to them and best of luck,question still remains to be answered is what price and at what solids ????.that info very slow comming forward.going to be a fair bit of chopping and changing of processors from next week.hope lads doing it look at big picture and take a long term view

Ten of yere lads moving to glanbia im told.

Just got the list of test bulls for this year. From 315 to 359 in EBIs as against 200 to 320 last year, avg of 333 this year:)

First scour cases this year last night also. Then the text came back that all 3 were BVD positive. Isolated now and expecting one at least to go.

The acidified milk seems to agree with my calves anyway. Thanks for the advice earlier on that folks.

Just got the list of test bulls for this year. From 315 to 359 in EBIs as against 200 to 320 last year, avg of 333 this year:)

First scour cases this year last night also. Then the text came back that all 3 were BVD positive. Isolated now and expecting one at least to go.

The acidified milk seems to agree with my calves anyway. Thanks for the advice earlier on that folks.
    How do you get into that gene Ireland programme?
    We were in it last yr not sure how I got into it but one if the bulls gave awful tough calvings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

mf240 wrote: »
    Ten of yere lads moving to glanbia im told.

And more than double that to dairygold ,Fair play to them for having the balls to back their decision .i looked long and hard into it but building work to do here this summer put a stop to the move .share up and revolving fund just too much .anyway best of luck to them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement