Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Farming General

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

18%

285 blown in ( will have to try bargain it down a bit.)

Buts its good quality barley/ soya / maize / distillers/soya hulls/ mollasses and mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

First batch of heifers not far off weaning. All 8 /9 weeks old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

it appears all the dairy lads/lassies are out on the ground making it happen instead of b***hing and moaning on here.

The best of good wishes to ye all now and into the future. Exciting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Sister just operated on a left displaced abdomin, hopefully everything is ok! Was gonna factory but changed mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Sister just operated on a left displaced abdomin, hopefully everything is ok! Was gonna factory but changed mind

done one a few weeks ago ,

she really turned inside out after it, wasn't right since she calved,

hope she goes ok for you ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Had one a few years back great success and still in herd,keep the coffee into her.put a full jar in 2 Ltrs of water Into her daily for 5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's a big push round here now to get farmers signed up to the Dairy Assurance Scheme. 4 other lads and myself were selected for audit by the Dept next week, none of us have applied for the scheme yet. A different parish done last week so i imagine most of us will get done by the end of the year.

No fear of being bored this long weekend anyway:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dog was barking during milking, went out there was a woman from the dept to inspect for my bulk tank grant, this was at half 5, no phone call or anything, i need to fill in a few holes left in roof from old milk tank and ring her to come back, do they get paid milage for repeat visits?

whelan2 wrote: »
    dog was barking during milking, went out there was a woman from the dept to inspect for my bulk tank grant, this was at half 5, no phone call or anything, i need to fill in a few holes left in roof from old milk tank and ring her to come back, do they get paid milage for repeat visits?

I think they get milage costs for going to the loo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Cows out full time from last week, only getting a buffer feed of maybe 15% of their diet from maize. Protein from the last collection has rocketed to 3.46%! Never anything near that in March previously!

Fun 1st milking in the new parlour tonight! Let's say the washdown pump got plenty of use ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Timmaay wrote: »
    Cows out full time from last week, only getting a buffer feed of maybe 15% of their diet from maize. Protein from the last collection has rocketed to 3.46%! Never anything near that in March previously!

Fun 1st milking in the new parlour tonight! Let's say the washdown pump got plenty of use ha!

Photos of finished parlour please tim !!
    Looked to be a fine job from previous photos. Love seeing good work being done. Oh and i wish you the very best of pleasurable and profitable milking in it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Best of luck with the new parlour Tim!!

Throw up some photos till we take a gawk at it

Panch18 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new parlour Tim!!

Throw up some photos till we take a gawk at it
    Im jealous tim with my old parlour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Great weather coming from Friday on. should be finished feeding silage by next Friday hopefully.
    are you stuck for grass op?

Grass is in reasonable supply.Depending on regrowth from the first grazed paddocks to come into play.Hope to be able to leave out the milkers at night next week all going well.Night frost might be a problem.Days are getting longer though which will be a big help.Alot of cows calved compared to last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

how'd sale in carnaros go today?

It gets better quickly, Timmaay.

Well wear and many short and happy milking in her.

Shes flying it this morning, right decision I think

Shes flying it this morning, right decision I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Quick question for the Glanbia lads who got the 0.5c/litre bonus for 2014 milk,
    was it payable on signing the milk supply agreement or were there other condition attached, like being a full shareholder etc...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

lefthooker wrote: »
    Quick question for the Glanbia lads who got the 0.5c/litre bonus for 2014 milk,
    was it payable on signing the milk supply agreement or were there other condition attached, like being a full shareholder etc...???
    Need to be shareholder with MSA completed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Need to be shareholder with MSA completed

Thanks. Thought as much. Missing out on a nice little payment cos I don't have the full quota of shares

Rz7DTwJl.jpg

Settled in quickly enough, once they discovered that they can get nuts here also ha! Next target is to get back up to 14 rows ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Well wear tim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Well was today magic day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

keep going wrote:
    Well was today magic day

I ran outta meal and got a kick from a mental heifer but was still in good humour. feeding time now, that's magic enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

keep going wrote: »
    Well was today magic day

Dunno about magic, but at least it stopped feckin raining.

keep going wrote: »
    Well was today magic day
    Magic day here last Wed.
    All stock bar a few dolls to calve are at grass. No breakfence or silage, time to let fly now. Silage fert 2nd split next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Cows out by night Here for the first time last night, only started the silage ground 2 days ago. Paddocks first grazed in feb coming along nicely but due to being forced back in there is a gap between them and the rest. Good drying in the wind yday but needed every bit of it. Slurry ended up not being washed in tho from 3 days ago only had misty rain for a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

What's Magic Day?

3 people putting silage sides on trailers etc.
    2 people power washing a chicken house.
    2 people spraying/spreading fert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    I ran outta meal and got a kick from a mental heifer but was still in good humour. feeding time now, that's magic enough

Meal lorry was reversing back to mealbin when I came in to yard yesterday. I hadn't ordered meal. Lorry man was at wrong farm !

Meal lorry was reversing back to mealbin when I came in to yard yesterday. I hadn't ordered meal. Lorry man was at wrong farm !
    I take it you said nothing? A few ton of free meal :p

Magic day here last Wed.
    All stock bar a few dolls to calve are at grass. No breakfence or silage, time to let fly now. Silage fert 2nd split next week

Everything bar cows left to calve and few bullocks (that will stay in as long as pssible ) and calves on are at grass.
    Will measure tomorrow. Talking of locking up 50% of grazing platform for silage end of next week and reseed 15% when silage is taken off it
    will only be stocked at 3.26 even at that

Everything bar cows left to calve and few bullocks (that will stay in as long as pssible ) and calves on are at grass.
    Will measure tomorrow. Talking of locking up 50% of grazing platform for silage end of next week and reseed 15% when silage is taken off it
    will only be stocked at 3.26 even at that

Be prepared to hit at SR of 5 during the high season ha!

Had cows at far end if farm last few days here one lady calved 2 days ago we left cow with calf for day - never got around to talking calf away.
    any way cow built up a bond and there is 3 houses in the vacinity of this field

Well she bawled all night last night and still at it.
    Could hear her ourselves and house is at least 800m away
    neighbours weren't happy I'd say

send him on here, ... realized this morning we won't have enough 'till Tuesday :mad: got a ton in bags to tide us over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Magic day here last Wed.

Hoping to let the milkers out by day on Monday if the weather keeps like this! Is that magic day!?

Dawggone wrote: »
    What's Magic Day?

3 people putting silage sides on trailers etc.
    2 people power washing a chicken house.
    2 people spraying/spreading fert.

Magic day is when demand equals growth rate.

Next week here I reckon depending on what gets left off in the mean time

Magic day is when demand equals growth rate.

Next week here I reckon depending on what gets left off in the mean time

I presume that's on the grazing block and doesn't include silage ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Second round kicked off this am,cows on 24 hour breaks and hopefully 36 within a week.will leave wc in for 3/5 more days to give grass a chance.

Dawggone wrote: »
    I presume that's on the grazing block and doesn't include silage ground?

Still fairly new to this but I assume it includes all accassable land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Jesus lads I am Jealous !
    Cows were out fulltime until fri 27 mar ,back in a week now .Had to bring in rep.heifers on wed .
    Hoping to get cows back out tmro.Land saturated, I have about 75% of the farm grazed including most of the "wetter" paddocks.

Jesus lads I am Jealous !
    Cows were out fulltime until fri 27 mar ,back in a week now .Had to bring in rep.heifers on wed .
    Hoping to get cows back out tmro.Land saturated, I have about 75% of the farm grazed including most of the "wetter" paddocks.
    I understand to a degree. Agitated lagoon, couldn't find a grazed paddock dry enough to spread on and we have a really dry farm. Absolute deluge night before last

I understand to a degree. Agitated lagoon, couldn't find a grazed paddock dry enough to spread on and we have a really dry farm. Absolute deluge night before last

I'm open to discuss any parallels...

You set the paralleles...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I was doing a bit of fence repairs along one of the main reason drains on Friday. A few furze bushes growing through the wire so we decided to pull them out. I had to get down into the drain to loop the sling around them. If I spread urea in it I'd have been relying on the dew to dissolve it. Drain was bone dry and its pulling out of s good 20 acres of our place and 30+ from neighbours. I dunno how dry your place is at all frazz. Either that or we haven't been getting the same rainfall. I have a couple of pics but the sides of the drain are fairly overgrown and it's not to clear what's what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

I was doing a bit of fence repairs along one of the main reason drains on Friday. A few furze bushes growing through the wire so we decided to pull them out. I had to get down into the drain to loop the sling around them. If I spread urea in it I'd have been relying on the dew to dissolve it. Drain was bone dry and its pulling out of s good 20 acres of our place and 30+ from neighbours. I dunno how dry your place is at all frazz. Either that or we haven't been getting the same rainfall. I have a couple of pics but the sides of the drain are fairly overgrown and it's not to clear what's what.

Boys ground that, get a few kiwi style pivots/rain guns going grand job :pac:

I have a 2nd calver and a heifer on OAD here. Thought they were loosing a bit too much bcs.
    heifer bulling atm. Will keep them on though fir another 3 wks

The only 2 je heifers we have thus yr.
    one an autumn calver - left
    other spring calver -right
    lady on far right is also a first calver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

heifers starting to settle in well ,averaging 22 litres ,bulling, now to wait for some protein and butterfat results, that will be the big tell on what i have bought in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Blackgrass wrote: »
    Boys ground that, get a few kiwi style pivots/rain guns going grand job :pac:

Maybe boys ground but if you want to wear metal it'll get that done for you no bother. Soil is light but extremely stony. A contractor that used to do maize work here used to almost be in tears but there was a good bit of work in the area so he kept coming. He was S.Kilkenny based and used to work up as far as Stoneyford and on close to the town as well. "You'd never see a stone all day up there and then we have to come down here for this hardship" was the lament.

Maybe boys ground but if you want to wear metal it'll get that done for you no bother. Soil is light but extremely stony. A contractor that used to do maize work here used to almost be in tears but there was a good bit of work in the area so he kept coming. He was S.Kilkenny based and used to work up as far as Stoneyford and on close to the town as well. "You'd never see a stone all day up there and then we have to come down here for this hardship" was the lament.

Limestone or Sandstone?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement