Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Farming General

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Just served another heifer there. She was very very nervous nearly jumped out of her skin in the crush. What do ye do with nervous heifers?
    She will be a nightmare in the parlour next spring

Had a nervous heifer in parlour this yr. Used to come in at end of row and my 11 yr old goes up and keeps stroking her back and talking to her-i was in a knot laughing as he was asking her was she going to the moovies. Did this a few times and She's grand now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Had a nervous heifer in parlour this yr. Used to come in at end of row and my 11 yr old goes up and keeps stroking her back and talking to her-i was in a knot laughing as he was asking her was she going to the moovies. Did this a few times and She's grand now.

I may ask the girlfriend can we have a child so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I take no notice of what they do in the crush, it turns the most docile old cows crazy at times. Have two heifers here who are the polar opposite, as calves it's cute when they're friendly and follow you around. As they get older it losses its appeal.

Got an offer on out of date dry cow tubes today. Won't need them till end of July. Any issue with using them?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Got an offer on out of date dry cow tubes today. Won't need them till end of July. Any issue with using them?

What would bord bia inspector say???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I may ask the girlfriend can we have a child so :D

i'll lease you a few until you get your own.

td5man wrote: »
    i'll lease you a few until you get your own.

Free of charge I hope? They'll be well fed and will spend the summer picking stones and cutting weeds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Fertility tested 10 fr bulls today prior to goingvto new homes.a worthwhile job as I discovered one with low sperm count that vet wouldn't certify.tis a funny job to watch vet doing ,for me not bull!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Free of charge I hope? They'll be well fed and will spend the summer picking stones and cutting weeds :D

free training sounds like a plan. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone at dairy sale in carnaros today, any prices?

• Advertisement

By god there us some serious set ups down in fermoy.
    Past one lad and there must be 300 jex calves in a paddock.
    HEAVEN!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

HEAVEN!!!!!!

300 jerseys, ahh everyone has their troubles, poor fu#ker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

bulls or heifers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

HEAVEN!!!!!!

Bulls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

One mans heaven,another's hell!!!!

HEAVEN!!!!!!

Okay a bit over the top there by me more like 180-200.
    I got a bit excited......can ye blame me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I know a dairyman, munster supporter near nenagh who would love to follow the cows with them :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

lads and lassies quick question, my Friesian sweeper bull broke leg today in shed trying to get out at heifers in for ai, anyway now I without the bull, I was tempting on asking a neighbour who has fattening fr bulls for a loan of one to sweep up after 5 weeks ai on heifers, is this a bad idea as these be fattening bulls not vaccinated against bvd or lepto even tho there tested for bvd as I don't want to spend big money on a bull to run for 3 weeks and only get 1 or 2 heifers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Wouldn't chance it tbh

Wouldn't chance either. Disease risks aside, it's chancy to use a complete unknown on heifers. It could make a very difficult end to the calving next spring and wreck a few heifers on ya. Is there no where you could pick up a fresian bull, with a bit of breeding. They are around.
    Probably being over cautious, but I hate fu€kips in calving season.

• Advertisement

I reared bull calves the first year here as i had no quota, i rang the guy who i bought them off for their best figures and used one of them to clean up with the cows, i have some nice cows from them

Our mop up bulls come from dairy farmer who's keeping buls to finish. All progeny sold

Never had a bother

Our mop up bulls come from dairy farmer who's keeping buls to finish. All progeny sold

Never had a bother

to be honest I sold some of the bulls he has as 3 week old calves so I would know there background

case 956 wrote: »
    to be honest I sold some of the bulls he has as 3 week old calves so I would know there background

There's your answer

Many new entrants setting up around ye?? A cousin and 2 other lads are starting in the parish, will many more get in??

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Many new entrants setting up around ye?? A cousin and 2 other lads are starting in the parish, will many more get in??

None that i know of around here

kevthegaff wrote: »

4 that I know of within 4 miles of me
    120 conversion from sucklers
    120 conversion from beef
    150 from tillage completely new with robots
    250 rented, coming from a herd of 450. They're going to continue with home herd of 400 with 250 on out farm. Fathers place raring heifers for both.

And a lot of big expansions

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Never had them as clean.

satstheway wrote: »
    Never had them as clean.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Why?

After 2 weeks of horrible tbc's up to170, discovered the problem on Thursday got txt last night tbc of 3. Heaven

Never had them as clean.
    did you just use normal dishwasher detergent, doing mine this week

My last scc was 82 before the wash so it was not for that reason.
    Old liners are just to replace any that are burst when trampled on.

I was washing shells and they were a pain so I thought why not the dish washer.

Used 2 power ball tablets . Cleaned them great.
    140 min wash and they need a while to cool.

My last scc was 82 before the wash so it was not for that reason.
    Old liners are just to replace any that are burst when trampled on.

I was washing shells and they were a pain so I thought why not the dish washer.

Used 2 power ball tablets . Cleaned them great.
    140 min wash and they need a while to cool.

Herself must be away for the weekend!

After 2 weeks of horrible tbc's up to170, discovered the problem on Thursday got txt last night tbc of 3. Heaven

What was the problem?

What was the problem?

The line linking the receiving jar to sanitary trap full of ****e at the bends. Cleaned out drilled it put inlet in and t'eed a wash line into the one that washes the sanitary trap. Problem solved! Only annoying thing is I should have checked it earlier

• Advertisement

The line linking the receiving jar to sanitary trap full of ****e at the bends. Cleaned out drilled it put inlet in and t'eed a wash line into the one that washes the sanitary trap. Problem solved! Only annoying thing is I should have checked it earlier
    did you get it down low for the last tests of the month or will you be deducted?

whelan2 wrote: »
    did you get it down low for the last tests of the month or will you be deducted?[/

Just scraped in for the month I think. Was tested on Thursday so think that's in April ?

did you get it down low for the last tests of the month or will you be deducted?[/

Just scraped in for the month I think. Was tested on Thursday so think that's in April ?
    are you glanbia, if so the month finished on may the 3rd which was yesterday

are you glanbia, if so the month finished on may the 3rd which was yesterday

Yeah glanbia

relief milker in this morning did a good job milking and was suppose to write in dairy wall anything bulling, never even batted a eyelid for bulling, nothing wrote down

• Advertisement

I've been known to put clusters and bits and pieces of the milk line into the dishwasher too. Unfortunately it's too small for the calf feeders, even the 6 teat ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

First calver had a calf last night that was 56kgs !
    First time in six months using the jack.
    Was by a bull called Caesar.

sheebadog wrote: »
    First calver had a calf last night that was 56kgs !
    First time in six months using the jack.
    Was by a bull called Caesar.

Should that not be Brutus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Should that not be Brutas

Lol. Good point.

How long after calving to reg a calf, I missed one

How long after calving to reg a calf, I missed one
    think its 28 days but afaik it only becomes a problem if they realise before you do

think its 28 days but afaik it only becomes a problem if they realise before you do

Cheers, I knew you'd have the answer

No cows bulling to day. 50% bulled at 2 weeks. That's only cows that are 9 weeks plus calved. Would be 80% if everything was served

Like Brown Thomas make up counter here this am

Herringbone crush is it? I want one. Any pointers from your experience?
    No cows bulling to day. 50% bulled at 2 weeks. That's only cows that are 9 weeks plus calved. Would be 80% if everything was served
    When the AI man is coming everyday, why not serve them with a cheap/free straw? I think you said you don't have a tank yet, salemen like to sweeten a deal with free straws and nitrogen refills. I know people like to wait but I think that makes more sense in high yielding herds with cows doing over 45kgs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement