Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Farming General

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

29 litres
    3.39 p
    3.66 f

on 3kgs of 14%, UFL 98

Was struggling with protein up to 2 weeks ago p was 3.15 and fat was 3.89. Acid buff was added to nuts ( thanks Mahoney). I presume this is what's lifted the protein. Had straw in diet briefly but dropped it, as cow loose but not very loose. Grass powering ahead, grazed in 24-36 hour blocks.
    A lot of P&k (as Richland) and Physiolith put out this spring and it seems to be paying dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

31 litres
    F 4.15
    P 3.5

Acid buff (Mahony) credit lifting fat from 3.7 to 4.15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

31 litres
    F 4.15
    P 3.5

Very good solids there for the yeild your putting out. Not to far off me own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Good proteins lads how ye getting them up to that level? I'm allocating 12 hour blocks I'm wondering if I had 24 hr one would mine improve some?

I'm in winter milk as well so the autumn girls are prob pushing up the protein now, also grass has been mainly leaf bar a few paddocks which were too wet last round to graze tight. feeding a flat rate of 4.5 kgs of 14%p postcalver coarse ration. With the good silage over the winter the autumn calvers are still milking well, was recording over the weekend so will have results soon but a good few are still motoring away at 30+L. about 40% autumn calvers 25% heifers in herd. The last few years used no bull with -ve prot% in breeding also, well at the time of selection anyways

31 litres
    F 4.15
    P 3.5

Mighty figures there. Are you feeding much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I'm on 36 to 48 hour blocks,with 12 hours cows are been forced to graze tight every 12 hours whereas with 36 or 48 hour blocks it's only once every 1.5 to 2 days ,big help.

we use 12hr blocks all year round, have a mixture of 24hr, 36hr and 48hr paddocks on farm. How do you find wastage in terms of grass soiled/ knocked while resting with the 36 hr blocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Milked out wrote: »
    we use 12hr blocks all year round, have a mixture of 24hr, 36hr and 48hr paddocks on farm. How do you find wastage in terms of grass soiled/ knocked while resting with the 36 hr blocks?

As long as Pgc dosnt go over 1500 it's pretty good,excelkent in good weather .def feel it leads to better protein and yield

31 litres
    F 4.15
    P 3.5

Serious solids there with an equally serious yield.my yield is just under 32 and p is simillar to yours but my fat is gone to 3.68.acid buff with a hi maize but works very well at this time ofvyear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

As long as Pgc dosnt go over 1500 it's pretty good,excelkent in good weather .def feel it leads to better protein and yield

how many shares have you in acid buff inc:cool::):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Serious solids gg,would u be worried about urea been so high,could lead to a lot of repeats ???

+1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Just on the 12 / 24 hour grazing the lighter,cows heifers and less aggressive grazers do it hard twice a day with 12 hr grazing compared to only once with 24hrs. if you let cow on fresh 24 hr block at night you can see in day light if you have gotten it wrong and they are going to go tight and let them over early. 36 hr breaks are great if your on a quick rotation at lower covers as mahoney pointed out. 12 hr breaks are great in wet weather and in the shoulders of the year were your trying to keep to a strict grazing plan and grazing on poorer ground conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Milked out wrote: »

This is the problem I see with larger blocks they don't seem to clean it out for me. Maybe the covers are too high. What kinda covers are ye aiming for pre graze?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

What form is the acid buff in? Do get it mixed into the nuts at the mill ? Is it like urea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Right lads feck the cows "Jacks Back"

What form is the acid buff in? Do get it mixed into the nuts at the mill ? Is it like urea?

I get it mixed with nut at a rate of 15 kg per tonne

This is the problem I see with larger blocks they don't seem to clean it out for me. Maybe the covers are too high. What kinda covers are ye aiming for pre graze?

1500 max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

yield 29 ltrs, pr:3.37, Fat: 3.76, in covers of 1450kg on 36 hr blocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Seeing as everyone is throwing up their figures I'll follow suit, yield 26, P 3.5, BF 3.9. Hopefully I can shove that yield closer to 30L next year at the peak with a more mature herd.

Also what is everyone paying for nuts? Had to cough up 270 for a 14% grazing nut today, as I was all out of nuts, I thought the price sounded steep. I have to use a nut, a ration will clog up the feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Used a snap test on a cow last tubed on monday morn. It was clear .
    Thats clear on the 5th milking even though it says eight on the box.
    Did another to be sure. I did try on clear cows and injected cows the day I got them and the results were easy to determine. But now I not confident in test.
    Are they accurate for other ppl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

28ltrs, pr 3.61, bf 4.08 12hr strip wire.

Pacoa wrote: »
    28ltrs, pr 3.61, bf 4.08 12hr strip wire.

They are super figures. What's the breeding in the herd

Mighty figures there. Are you feeding much?

2.5kg 14%.

2.5kg 14%.

That's mighty going.

32 litre
    3.84f
    3.48p
    Urea 22

Feeding 4kg avg 13% high maize

Feed cost of just over 3cpl

No buffer

40% autumn
    And 30% heifers

P 3.59
    Fat 4.06
    25l
    SCC 72
    Urea 39

Forgot to mention 30% heifers and 30% autumn milkers

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    32 litre
    3.84f
    3.48p
    Urea 22

Feeding 4kg avg 13% high maize

Feed cost of just over 3cpl

No buffer

40% autumn
    And 30% heifers

What % fibre in ur mix stan??.9% in mine and 35% maize.dissapoibted with my fats tbh but protein pays more.my milk ureas all over the shop ranging from 12 to 17.def think there is issues with that test in my coop.splitting a sample tomorrow with half going to Glanbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

They are super figures. What's the breeding in the herd

Thanks.
    Pedigree Holstien.

What % fibre in ur mix stan??.9% in mine and 35% maize.dissapoibted with my fats tbh but protein pays more.my milk ureas all over the shop ranging from 12 to 17.def think there is issues with that test in my coop.splitting a sample tomorrow with half going to Glanbia.

I'll have to check

winding down here milk 10l 6.2 fat and 5.1p 4.83l scc 169, cows getting 4kg of whole crop silage and grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Can anyone tell me how much 100g/150g of cal mag powder is please. I have no way of weighing such a small amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

trixi2011 wrote: »
    winding down here milk 10l 6.2 fat and 5.1p 4.83l scc 169, cows getting 4kg of whole crop silage and grass.

26L Pr3.33% Bf4.30 2kgs meal Scc 63, but last 160, so it's up and down, should be consistently lower though. 55% of herd 1st and 2nd calvers. Probably close to peak at that for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Bf 3.65
    pr3.6
    bf a bit lower than usual
    Thermoduric 10 what should it be, lakeland have only started testing for it.

26L Pr3.33% Bf4.30 2kgs meal Scc 63, but last 160, so it's up and down, should be consistently lower though. 55% of herd 1st and 2nd calvers. Probably close to peak at that for me
    75% first cavers here wouldn't of peaked that high but you will find that you will flat line for longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

td5man wrote: »
    Bf 3.65
    pr3.6
    bf a bit lower than usual
    Thermoduric 10 what should it be, lakeland have only started testing for it.
    the limit in glanbia is 750, so 10 is very good:D

whelan2 wrote: »
    the limit in glanbia is 750, so 10 is very good:D
    bloody hell that's high think the limit is 400 here if not lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

used to be 900, last time i asked it was 750, maybe it has gone down again:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

whelan2 wrote: »
    used to be 900, last time i asked it was 750, maybe it has gone down again:confused:

No it's 750 heading to 500

We get no other result when this test is taken, is it the same for you?

Done once a month here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

cows stopped coming down from the field this morning, looks like im gona have to start getting them from now on:-(

kevthegaff wrote: »
    cows stopped coming down from the field this morning, looks like im gona have to start getting them from now on:-(

Ditto, usually at gate. I thought the timer wasn't working

Giving the girls an extra kg this am really heavy rain with wet grass

• Advertisement

How much nitrogen is being taken up this weather, would it be 3 units a day?

We get no other result when this test is taken, is it the same for you?

Done once a month here

Twice a month here if you are grading they do it more often I think. They test 4 scc fat and protein but no other quality test on the days they are testing for termos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Pr4.48 bf4.88 scc137 26l

1-2 kg of a 2to1 maize meal/ soya hull mix.

Pr4.48 bf4.88 scc137 26l

4.48 p, how much are you getting for that milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Pr4.48 bf4.88 scc137 26l

Should that be 3.48 pr%, which would still be superb, great bf% as well. Spring calving? Holstein or jx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Should that be 3.48 pr%, which would still be superb, great bf% as well. Spring calving? Holstein or jx?

I'm guessing he was out with the bf also? Freedom and Je ha, thats an insult and a 1/2 I'd say. 26l doesn't seem like much from his 10kl/yr HOs either, are a decent few autumn calved? Or maybe he is ripping the piss with his figures ha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

26 includes autumn and a share of heifers he said a while back.

Cows milking just over 28 litres here with 5 out of 50 calved over 400 days (going to be culled soon and 10 autumn calvers.

Protien 3.39 and butterfat 3.69. Urea 20 scc 248.

Grazing reclaimed bog at the moment. Getting 3.5 kgs 16 % nut.

I think the only jersey freedom would let into tge palour would be one with sleeves.

mf240 wrote: »
    26 includes autumn and a share of heifers he said a while back.

Cows milking just over 28 litres here with 5 out of 50 calved over 400 days (going to be culled soon and 10 autumn calvers.

Protien 3.39 and butterfat 3.69. Urea 20 scc 248.

Grazing reclaimed bog at the moment. Getting 3.5 kgs 16 % nut.

I think the only jersey freedom would let into tge palour would be one with sleeves.

A Leinster jersey

How's ground holding up with ye. Cows finished up in a 48 hour paddock this evening. 4 grazings plus last nights rain didn't do it any favours.
    Had 18 heifers bulling last night ( estrumate is working well) and they ploughed a paddock. Things would want to dry up next week.

• Advertisement

How's ground holding up with ye. Cows finished up in a 48 hour paddock this evening. 4 grazings plus last nights rain didn't do it any favours.
    Had 18 heifers bulling last night ( estrumate is working well) and they ploughed a paddock. Things would want to dry up next week.

Ok for now but a lot of rain in last 2 days,great drying(wind and sun)but misty rain falling again now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement